Advanced Search

Author Topic: Fire In Space (CLOSED)  (Read 5647 times)

May 05, 2015, 07:09:29 PM
Read 5647 times

Offline CStar7

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: March 25, 2013, 01:43:33 AM

• View Profile
Fire In Space (CLOSED)
« on: May 05, 2015, 07:09:29 PM »
I haven't posted in awhile, but I just finished this map called Fire in Space. Could someone please critique this map and tell me if there are any issues?

EDIT: The link has moved to my main maps topic.

May 05, 2015, 09:28:00 PM
Reply #1

Knux

Re: Fire In Space (Critique Needed)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 09:28:00 PM »
First thing I noticed right off the bat is that this thing is 13MB. You REALLY need to cut down the music size as that's too big for just one map. I recommend that you use Audacity to loop the track and convert it into an .OGG, since it's a great music editing tool and also free. Now, on to the map itself:

- The map is extremely open, with areas that seem huge for the sake of being huge. There are a number of problems with this alone, such as the lack of proper cover and close range weapons being mostly useless (aside from Charge Kick) and a lot of flat ground that feels overall boring to run around in. What you need here is to tone down the inflated areas (a good example being the indoors area with Charge Kick), experiment with more structure that both provides cover and isn't just flat ground, and then add weapons that work well in it.

- Speaking of structure, avoid things like the long, linear paths in the outside of the map. By this I mean that, if you're making a DM map, all areas should have more than one way out of them. This prevents players from being cornered cheaply and keeps the pacing of the match flowing neatly.

- When having a variety of elevations in the map, avoid ladders going upwards a high elevation. In fact, avoid elevations that differ too greatly from the map geography unless you have provided comfortable ways for players to get around them, such as (but not limited to) jump pads and teleporters. It all depends on what works better for your map's layout.

Welp, that's all I can say here. It's nice that you got the hang of some of the basics, though.

May 05, 2015, 09:48:11 PM
Reply #2

Offline CStar7

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 09:48:11 PM »
Thanks for the review, Knux! I actually managed to make what it is at this point in two days! I plan on chopping that music down to a small size. The outside areas might be removed to add more focus to the main area. If not, better locationing will be done for that. I'll add some interesting architecture to the stale parts.. The weapons as well.

By the way, I have Goldwave and use that as my music editing tool. How would I go about converting the MP3s to OGG and compressing them?

May 05, 2015, 11:08:51 PM
Reply #3

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 11:08:51 PM »
Quote from: "CStar7"
I have Goldwave and use that as my music editing tool. How would I go about converting the MP3s to OGG and compressing them?

1.- Get rid of Goldwave.

2.- Download and install Audacity.

3.- Once installed, attempt to open a .mp3 file using Audacity.

4.- Once you see the soundwave of your .mp3 file on Audacity, press Ctrl+Shift+E to export your .mp3 file into a different audio file type that you can choose. In our case, please choose Ogg Vorbis. THIS DOES NOT END HERE.

5.- Click on options, and set the Ogg Vorbis exportation quality to 0 for lowest filesize possible; this will reduce the quality of your audio file by a considerable amount, so depending on your audio tastes you might want to set it at 3 or something. DON'T SET IT TOO HIGH, OR THE FILESIZE WILL INCREASE INSTEAD.

6.- Save, close Audacity.

7.- Obtain bacon.

May 05, 2015, 11:32:42 PM
Reply #4

Offline CStar7

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 11:32:42 PM »
Quote from: "MusashiAA"
Quote from: "CStar7"
I have Goldwave and use that as my music editing tool. How would I go about converting the MP3s to OGG and compressing them?
7.- Obtain bacon.

Bacon obtained!

(Buh buh buh)

Thanks MusashiAA! Map size is now 2.5 MB! Will now work on fixing problems!

May 06, 2015, 12:11:05 AM
Reply #5

Offline CStar7

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 12:11:05 AM »
Ok. I haven't changed the weapons yet or added much detail. But I did change the layout of an empty corner, and I wanted to know if anyone feels I'm headed the right direction. Also, the Charge Kick room has significantly shrunk. Map size now is 2.51 MB.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nmqmvfuyzb7h1hy/MMD1.wad?dl=0

May 09, 2015, 04:01:13 AM
Reply #6

Knux

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 04:01:13 AM »
(click to show/hide)
It seems that you nailed the elevation issue quite well, and that's a good start. The same other problems I mentioned earlier are still there, though. One other thing that looks bad are the sectors with multiple diagonal sides. Textures in MM8BDM were meant for horizontal/vertical sector lines, and although there's a few good examples of diagonal sector lines in the core, you should always avoid having sectors with "sharp" corners (like the < angles in the Hard Knuckle platform) Instead, if you want a sector looking like it's broken but not like someone wiggled and clicked their mouse randomly, simply try the usual 32 size grid. Of course though, even though you'll still be drawing random lines, they will feel more organized with horizontal/vertical angles in the editor.

Here's a good example of what I mean. KNDM09 has irregular patters on the walls to simulate broken up geometry, but it generally marks a given area and it's not all over the place. Might sound egotistical, but it's just an example... >_>
(click to show/hide)

May 09, 2015, 03:41:26 PM
Reply #7

Offline CStar7

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 03:41:26 PM »
I don't think it's egotistical; you're trying to help me and you're pointing to good usage of diagonal lines. I'll work on those platforms and fix the other issues.

Also, your screenshot pointed out to me that the ladders (on the round thing) are still there. Conflabbit! XD

The map from this topic has been moved to another topic called "CStar7's Maps". As such, this topic will be locked.