Advanced Search

Author Topic: MM8BDM Fishing!  (Read 44305 times)

December 02, 2017, 03:06:04 PM
Read 44305 times

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
MM8BDM Fishing!
« on: December 02, 2017, 03:06:04 PM »
I made a fishing mod for MM8BDM. Currently only compatible with CBM and Comhotel.

Wait, what?

This mod injects into comhotel and allows players to go fishing in any body of water. For those who don't know, hotel maps are generally large open maps where people just hang out and talk or kill each other without any other goal. I found them pretty useful for practicing certain classes in CBM but I always thought it was a shame there wasn't an extra reason to be there, something to gain. Well now there is, you can go fishing! Fish range from useless to doing cool stuff in the game. One fish might allow you to shoot projectiles your class isn't meant to, or give you a temporary buff. Rarer fish might do things such as give your character a permanent visual upgrade, or summon a pet that follows you around!

Getting Started

Talk to Auto in the lobby of the hotel to get started, he'll give you a fishing rod. You use the rod by using the inventory item the same way you would use e-tanks etc. Use it over a body of water and wait patiently. When the fishing bobber vibrates, press use item again to reel in the goodies! Common fish have a grey border around them, and can be traded in to auto for upgrades which slightly reduce the amount of common fish you find. Rarer fish have blue borders and usually have an effect if you activate them. Gold borders are reserved for very rare items!

You can drop fish for your pals even if dropping is disabled! Use the new command dropfish followed by the fish you want to drop i.e dropfish spicyshrimp

Some fish are only obtainable in certain bodies of water. This is why comhotel was the perfect map choice as there are a TON of different places to fish from, some you may not expect. Fish everywhere! You never know what you'll find. Who knows what is lurking beneath the waves...?

Setup

Works in Coop and Deathmatch (be careful in deathmatch, you lose your fish if you die!) Requires comhotel and CBM. In the future these requirements may be lifted. There is usually a server up for comhotel + this mod so keep an eye on doomseeker.

Downloads

Comhotel - https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=ch8.6.1.pk3
CBM - https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=classes-v9ch.pk3
Hotel Fishing - https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=hotelfishing-6d.pk3

Happy fishing!

December 02, 2017, 11:47:15 PM
Reply #1

Offline MicaelHD

• Standard Member

• I'm really FEEELLIIIIIIINNGGGGGG IIIIITTT
  • Date Registered: September 05, 2016, 09:09:57 PM

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Re: MM8BDM Fishing!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 11:47:15 PM »
I can't download the hotelfishing-1a.pk3 file  :(

UPDATE: Forget it, I already download the file :)

December 03, 2017, 12:08:21 AM
Reply #2

Offline bass44

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yeah call us, we'll be drunk!
  • Date Registered: November 23, 2011, 03:40:05 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 12:08:21 AM »
As if I didn't already suck at fishing in real life

Today on things I wasn't ready for
Well shit, is there anything that's not possible to make in the Doom engine?

December 05, 2017, 09:38:35 PM
Reply #3

Offline MegaVile

• Standard Member

• [Necromancer of Saxton Hale]
  • Date Registered: August 06, 2016, 06:25:54 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 09:38:35 PM »
Fun fact. In the picture shown here, I am the maestro in the far right.
This fact serves no purpose whatsoever.

December 05, 2017, 10:15:57 PM
Reply #4

Offline Hinatediz

• MM8BDM Extender

• BEEP BEEP BITCH YOU'RE GAY *
  • Date Registered: January 26, 2012, 03:49:32 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 10:15:57 PM »
I can't download the classes wad...

It says invalid file

Edit: Nevermind, I downloaded it from my phone and transfered it to my computer, it works good (even though my lag is killing me)

One suggestion, how about the Neptoona from Zelda Phantom Hourglass as a rare catch?

December 11, 2017, 12:38:00 AM
Reply #5

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 12:38:00 AM »
A new version has been released!

see first post

*Fixed a few bugs/abuse situations with certain fish.
    *Made some changes to fishing, such as a catch sound and splash effect.

*Added at least one new fish types to the existing species (except slugs and jellyfish).
    *Added even more unique fish!
    *Buffed certain crabs and squids. All squids have increased duration.
    *Added anti-pvp totem. Fishers are guaranteed to fish up this item. When used, you will drop a totem. Fish 3 more times within the totem's radius and it will activate. While activated you are immune to player damage and cannot deal damage. Stray too far and it will return to your inventory and deactivate. This feature can be disabled with the hfishing_nototem server flag.

If you would like to suggest fish please provide sprites and what they should do when activated/caught etc.

December 11, 2017, 03:14:56 AM
Reply #6

Offline MicaelHD

• Standard Member

• I'm really FEEELLIIIIIIINNGGGGGG IIIIITTT
  • Date Registered: September 05, 2016, 09:09:57 PM

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 03:14:56 AM »
Oh, I wouldn't kill anybody when they're fishing anymore  :(

December 11, 2017, 04:01:43 PM
Reply #7

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 04:01:43 PM »
https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=hotelfishing-2b.pk3

Hotfix to fix some annoying bugs:

- Fixed totems permenantly breaking sometimes.
    - Fixed telly damage type.
    - Players can now use certain buttons again while fishing.
    - Fixed boobeam trap obituary.
    - Fixed serverwide deafening when a certain fish was used.
    - Increased anti-trapper radius of Auto.

December 12, 2017, 12:12:25 AM
Reply #8

Offline Hinatediz

• MM8BDM Extender

• BEEP BEEP BITCH YOU'RE GAY *
  • Date Registered: January 26, 2012, 03:49:32 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 12:12:25 AM »
If you would like to suggest fish please provide sprites and what they should do when activated/caught etc.

Name: Neptoona
Series: The Legend of Zelda
Catch Ratio: Very Rare
Effect: When activated, the entire map is surrounded by a huge thunderstorm and the user gets a Berserk Mode that grants it Health Resistance, Attack and Speed Boosts for a temporal amount of time, able to counter Baron Von Blubba if used in the correct time, if another player tries to use it when other is using it, then the player who is currently using it will 'absorb' its use (This is a nerf method to make users not spam it on server plays), after a while, the effect and item will dissappear. This item is useless against totems.
Kill Quote: %player was devastated into the deep reefs by %killer's Wrath of Neptoona!

Feedback?

December 12, 2017, 05:42:52 PM
Reply #9

Offline RedThePyro

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: July 22, 2016, 03:05:30 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 05:42:52 PM »
Name: Questionable Seahorse
Color: Blue and Light blue (Because I dunno where to get the seahorse sprites lol)
Rarity: The same Rarity as Seahorses
Effect: Fires a Random Projectile.  It can be anything, Dive Missile, Flash Bomb, and anything inbetween.  However, it has a rare chance to fire things like Evil Robot's Giga Attacks, Light's EX Moves, etc.

December 13, 2017, 02:14:16 AM
Reply #10

Offline Zdagger67

• Standard Member

• Just still Oppo lady silver
  • Date Registered: January 15, 2016, 01:30:24 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 02:14:16 AM »
name: Shiny Coin
Color : Brown and Orange (bronze),Grey And White (Silver),Orange And gold (gold)
Rarity: Common (bronze), Rare (silver), Very Rare (gold)
Effect: you can collect this coin and buy yourself some item, 3 Brozne coin to buy normal item, 2 silver coin to buy common item and 1 gold coin to buy rare item.

December 15, 2017, 09:16:15 AM
Reply #11

Offline Stardust

• Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: July 15, 2012, 07:42:47 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 09:16:15 AM »
I like this new feature for a chilling map it's a nice activity for those who don't pvp (and most don't on hotel-styled maps) so gj I clap clap this mod :0

The anti-pvp totem security police of summon is neat but would need some tweaks imo. You need to get 3 fishes while being close to it to get the protection. Since it's compatible (and meant to be played with?) YD Classes, well some classes can easily force you out of the totem's small protection radius. One megawaterS, tornado man, shademan can be enough to push around and disturb fishermen :V

Not only that but some players probably want to move between catches and change fishing location. They need to fish 3 times (~15-20 seconds of standing still like a duck) in that Hyper Bomb size radius without dieing, each time they change location D:

Personnal suggestion ahead - I'd recommend the totem item to be fishable on the very first catch (or even better : Auto just gives it to you directly :P). It's part of the fisherman's material after all alongside the rod

When using it, it could stick like a spiritual chain and follow you everywhere, giving invulnerability and pacifism, for as long as you fished at least 3 times. tl;dr give infinite range to the totem.
To activate PvP mode you'd just need to activate the totem item again to "unlink" you from it. But then you'd have to fish 3 times again to restore the link.

(click to show/hide)

OH ye and here is new fish suggestion :]

Name : Psychedelic Jellyfish (it's the one that changes your skin color right)
Color : R a i n b o o o o o
Rarity : Rare (blue border)
Effect : picks a random color in MM8BDM's skin colors (including "charging" colors like atomic fire), changing every 1/6 second or so
OR just do Galaxy man's color scheme

December 15, 2017, 02:58:12 PM
Reply #12

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 02:58:12 PM »
I like the risk involved when traveling to a new area to fish (or get upgrades). The classes that can push you around are kinda tricky to fix without editing cbm itself but I'll see what I can do.

December 16, 2017, 02:17:13 PM
Reply #13

Offline Stardust

• Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: July 15, 2012, 07:42:47 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 02:17:13 PM »
Got some extra suggestions and ideas tho ^^

> The basic fishes you can't use (Bass, Minnow, Salmon, Tetra, etc...) clustering in the CustomInventory slots with no direct use are kind of wonky. A neat thing would be to display your basic fish count in a small part of the screen (bottom left or bottom right corner?) instead of having them in your "usable" inventory. Something like :
(click to show/hide)
Now that's just a awful photoshop to help understanding the concept, don't mind the quality. You'd resize this menu so it doesn't eat up a large part of the screen. PLUS, you could make the fish menu disappear when you stop fishing (not using the Rod since 15 seconds would make it fade away. Using the rod again would bring the menu back).
OPTIONALLY, it could also display your fishing level (from 1 to 10, depending on how much fishing upgrades you have)

> You hid the code to generate a random fish :( that's sad, we probably wanted to know more about probabilities...
From my personal testing, I see no difference between having 0 fishing upgrades and 10 upgrades. Does it actually do something?  If so is it barely noticeable? (like, -5% common fishes at 10 upgrades?)

Anyway since common fishes are meant to improve fishing level, they are kind of useless when you reach max level.
IMO you thus shouldn't be able to fish common ones when you're at max level.

> Two other suggestions, still about fishing quality :
An "automatic fishing" effect. Throw the Rod, and when it shakes, the rod automatically returns to you without you needing to press item. The effect would still remain after respawning. I would suggest an effect like that for EITHER :
A very rare fish (golden border) fish ;
OR a shared effect for all LVMAX fishermen (when using the 10th fishing upgrade you receive this buff).

> Random idea share for Sea horses : right now they provide 10 uses of a certain projectile/attack, then you run out of them and need to fish them again.
I'd propose to make Seahorses infinite use. But, they'd have a longer cooldown (I was thinking 10 to 15 seconds per seahorse. Or if the cooldown is shared among the Seahorses, I'd rather say 5-8 seconds.)
That makes them more "collectable" and fun to use without having to worry about "wasting" them.
Quite some fishes do something "permanent" (crabs summon something that stay forever, jellyfishes give you a permanant color, shrimps give you permanent aesthetic) so it's fair ^^

> Have the rod's range be a parameter for some fishes. Like, have some fishes (currently or future ones) only be fishable if the rod is thrown far away enough :V

> For the crabs (summoning fishes) : first time you use the crab CustomInventory item could display a translucent unsolid (a ghost) of what you're going to summon in a fixed point in front of you ; using the item again to validate and summon it.
That's a little extra, but for people who don't know what the crab they freshly got is going summon, it can help them, so they don't waste it on a random spot.

hhh

December 16, 2017, 05:37:13 PM
Reply #14

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 05:37:13 PM »
Some great suggestions, unfortunately due to hiatus I won't be able to implement these until a much much much later date. If someone wants to continue to add to the fishing stuff while I'm gone, let me know (some slight ACS and DECORATE knowledge required). If not, this will be the final version for a long time unless something crashes etc.

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=hotelfishing-3a.pk3

- Fixed an issue causing certain players to have major FPS drops during the boss fight.
    - Fixed Super Stretch Eel being too common.
    - Fixed players being able to be pushed or pulled away from their fishing totem by certain classes.
    - Max fishing upgrades changed to 5, but double their effectiveness.
    - Cloverfin and Incredible Cloverfin buff lasts slightly longer.
    - Added new shrimp, cheepcheep, crabs and angels.
    - Other minor fixes and tweaks.
    - The boss now attacks faster.

> You hid the code to generate a random fish :( that's sad, we probably wanted to know more about probabilities...
From my personal testing, I see no difference between having 0 fishing upgrades and 10 upgrades. Does it actually do something?  If so is it barely noticeable? (like, -5% common fishes at 10 upgrades?)

I wanted to keep the probabilities a secret so there's more mystery and discovery to be had when fishing, though some of the optimal spots have already been figured out by the players to find particular goodies (but not all of them).

As for the upgrades, they shrink the common/junk fish part of the pool slightly. They don't make too much of a difference and aren't required to catch the rarest (0.05% chance) items. They're mainly there so common fish feel like they have a purpose (outside of any hidden functions they have).