Advanced Search

Author Topic: Megaman Invasion Project - Official Topic for MMINV  (Read 30862 times)

March 20, 2011, 08:44:56 PM
Reply #75

Offline CHAOS_FANTAZY

• MM8BDM Extender

• Still Around, But Only Kind Of
  • Date Registered: November 21, 2010, 08:21:24 PM

• View Profile
Re: Megaman Invasion Project - Official Topic for MMINV
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2011, 08:44:56 PM »
Ah, Ashley.  Still the top user of non-8-Bit music, I see.  Something to note:  not sure all of these were programmed as Invasion maps, as my partner-in-exploring bot and I were able to attack each other in certain levels.

MMINV01:  I actually like it.  A simple map--and the simple ones always bite you in the ass and become deadly in Invasion.  I wonder what kind of enemies you'll fill it with.
Also, I find Tornado-Man to be a good theme for that stage.

MMINV02: ...I can't access it.  I don't see it on the list, and changemap in the console takes me to MMINV01.

MMINV03:  Textures are bland, room is big and open for no apparent reason, and the music isn't that great.

MMINV04:  Again with the bland textures.  Hothead statues are a nice touch, though.

MMINV05:  Good layout.  Unlike Ryuga's Large Desert, it's a much smaller area, and the ability to hit anyone from anywhere seems reasonable.
All we need now is a Mechaduck for shooting at.  :p

MMINV06:  BORING BRICK DESIGNS, THEY'RE EVERYWHERE.  There are, apparently, even some DECORATE textures that I don't have.  Also, get a more action-y theme then a jazz remix of Gemini-Man.
And yes, unless those crystals are going to do damage in the final, slow their spawn rate a bit.

MMINV07:  This is probably the most boring-looking one yet.  Falling down almost always results in death-or at least it would, if it actually pushed you into the hole--and climbing back up to the sliver of normal ground that everyone's bound to be camping at takes forever-and-a-half.

MMINV08:  LOL, "Invasion" was spelled wrong in the title.  There's some distortion around where the Picketmen are mining, and another unknown DECORATE thing.  Other than that, I like it.  Open area on top, twisty maze on bottom.
Just one more thing.  What's with the statues in the teleport rooms?  They feel out-of-place.

MMINV13:  Outside is really empty.  If the door's supposed to open, then it isn't happening for me.  The characters in the window were a nice touch, though.
Another notable thing:  when my partner-in-exploring bot and I arrived here, I lost my weapon.  When he killed me, I got it back and he lost his.  It continued in this manner until I moved on.

MMINV21:  I'm not too fond of it, but it'll work for your purposes.  I like the room full of mud, though.
...Really not much to say about this one.  Textures, maybe?

MMINV22:  Textures are kind of boring here.  At this point, the maps feel bland without weapons or anything.  I love the DECORATE models in this one, though.

MMINV23:  The Guts Dozer head seems to be just there for no real reason.  Of the two of us, only my bot can open the door leading out onto the ship.  Kind of a kill-joy right there.  The Wave Bikes don't explode until you reach the top of the stairs.

...And that looks to be every stage.

March 20, 2011, 09:15:18 PM
Reply #76

Offline Ashley

• Warrior
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 02:17:35 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2011, 09:15:18 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys. (Though we know most of it looks pretty crappy as it stands..)

We'll be fixing these maps once the 15th Invasion weapon is completed, hopefully sometime today.

As a note: The "Weaponry" page on the website is built. Look under INFO and WEAPONRY.

March 20, 2011, 10:41:31 PM
Reply #77

Offline Gummywormz

• Standard Member

• Air Man Tile Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: December 23, 2010, 01:05:44 AM

• View Profile
    • Github Page
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2011, 10:41:31 PM »
Quote from: "CHAOS_FANTAZY"
MMINV04:  Again with the bland textures.  Hothead statues are a nice touch, though.

MMINV22:  Textures are kind of boring here.  At this point, the maps feel bland without weapons or anything.  I love the DECORATE models in this one, though.

What do you mean by "boring textures"? If anyone else has critique for 4 or 22 at this time please direct it to me.

While you are fixing the maps though, you may want to change the doors so they open automatically. Most people probably don't have a use button set anyway.

I may attempt 1 or 2 more maps. I'm surprised no one actually has attempted a water level / ice level yet.

March 20, 2011, 11:34:47 PM
Reply #78

Offline CHAOS_FANTAZY

• MM8BDM Extender

• Still Around, But Only Kind Of
  • Date Registered: November 21, 2010, 08:21:24 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2011, 11:34:47 PM »
Quote from: "Gummywormz"
What do you mean by "boring textures"? If anyone else has critique for 4 or 22 at this time please direct it to me.

Well, in MMINV04, the walls are one, solid texture.  The odd panels simply don't look good at all; at least apply some fitting design like Fire-Man or Quick-Man (home to the Hotheads) .

In MMINV22, it's the same story; one texture for the floor, and one for the walls.  It's probably just because the room is so big, but it honestly just looks bland without weapons or anything.

March 21, 2011, 01:01:55 AM
Reply #79

Offline Gummywormz

• Standard Member

• View Profile
    • Github Page
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2011, 01:01:55 AM »

Well, in MMINV04, the walls are one, solid texture.  The odd panels simply don't look good at all; at least apply some fitting design like Fire-Man or Quick-Man (home to the Hotheads) .

In MMINV22, it's the same story; one texture for the floor, and one for the walls.  It's probably just because the room is so big, but it honestly just looks bland without weapons or anything.

Blame ashley for the lack of items. The rules said you aren't susposed to put any in, so I didn't. As for the textures, I kind of agree, but at this point I'll either let ashley retexture them, or have her finish the map (add weapons, spawners, etc) and then I'll retexture it.

March 21, 2011, 01:09:50 AM
Reply #80

Offline Ashley

• Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2011, 01:09:50 AM »
I don't want people adding in anything specifically because it would drastically mess things up later when I had to remove them all, move some around, or whatever...

If you plan on doing maps, stay away from the Boss maps; I plan on doing all 5 of those to fit the Plot.

March 21, 2011, 04:09:36 AM
Reply #81

Offline TailsMK4

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 17, 2010, 05:35:11 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2011, 04:09:36 AM »
I'm the one that made map 5, so I'll respond to comments on the map.

MMINV5: It needs better textures. Since it's a space level, why not use starman's textures?

I thought about using those graphics, but I couldn't get any ideas for them, and putting in the satellites would be out of place since it's just a small pillar (not station, sorry Ashley) in space. I tried to be more original by using Quick Man's textures, which I believe I ended up using wall textures as the ground, but it looked good. I did think of trying to use more graphics, though, so I used Ring Man's background, Air Man's pillars, and a couple of inclines made using Magnet Man's textures. Ashley will be the final judge on this, but I thought just the design of the stage needed improvement, not the textures themselves.  :?

MMINV05: Good layout. Unlike Ryuga's Large Desert, it's a much smaller area, and the ability to hit anyone from anywhere seems reasonable.

All we need now is a Mechaduck for shooting at. :p

1: Thanks. The main reason I made the level like that was so you could easily find the remaining monsters, and perhaps be able to plan your attacks before charging in range of their attacks. It won't be that easy in my future levels. :p

2: Lol no. There will be no Moon Zone easter eggs in the stage. However, there isn't anyone stopping you from playing the theme via console.  ;)

March 21, 2011, 02:31:57 PM
Reply #82

Offline Gummywormz

• Standard Member

• View Profile
    • Github Page
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2011, 02:31:57 PM »
Two more ideas:

Since you are going to replace the intermission music, why not replace the intermission screen too?

Maybe make the hub a sperate PWAD or something so people who want to just go through the levels one by one can do that.

(also update the map list in the map topic)

March 21, 2011, 07:49:07 PM
Reply #83

Offline Ashley

• Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2011, 07:49:07 PM »
Two more ideas:

Since you are going to replace the intermission music, why not replace the intermission screen too?

Maybe make the hub a sperate PWAD or something so people who want to just go through the levels one by one can do that.

(also update the map list in the map topic)
No reason to make it a PWAD; this is just another map with extensive ACS, like LightLab.
This can be played as Single Player, with or without a server. The MMINVHUB's name is MAP01, so it will take effect.

As for the intermission screen, what's the point of it? It's just going to show how many kills you've made. (The HUB and Intermission music are the same. I'll put a download for the song on the website sometime; thanks to my IRL friend Nemiru O. for creating it, and others.)

The map topic doesn't need to stay updated, because the website will be doing that. I plan on making the Map List webpage sometime today. If not, by the weekend. Rough week for me.

March 22, 2011, 12:58:00 AM
Reply #84

Offline Ashley

• Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2011, 12:58:00 AM »
Herp Derp.

MMINV Weapon 15 is completed, but quite buggy at the moment.
Tomorrow I'll be buffing it out, and balancing it to fit the other weapons. Then I'll update the website with it and a complete weapons download. (I'm also fixing Self Destruct so it can't hurt your allies, but still hurts you THROUGH armour)

March 22, 2011, 07:25:58 PM
Reply #85

Offline Gummywormz

• Standard Member

• View Profile
    • Github Page

March 22, 2011, 07:30:58 PM
Reply #86

Offline ice

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 05, 2010, 05:09:31 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2011, 07:30:58 PM »
do you need a spriter?

March 22, 2011, 07:45:34 PM
Reply #87

Offline Ashley

• Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2011, 07:45:34 PM »
Quote from: "ice"
do you need a spriter?

We need sprites for the megasword hand, if you're up for that, sure.

March 23, 2011, 06:37:06 PM
Reply #88

Offline Gummywormz

• Standard Member

• View Profile
    • Github Page
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2011, 06:37:06 PM »
Rock cannon bug:

Sound plays before the animation occurs.

March 23, 2011, 08:40:27 PM
Reply #89

Offline Ashley

• Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2011, 08:40:27 PM »
That's not a bug. I made it do that so the full sound would play with the full shot.

It shoots rocks perfectly timed with the SFX. It's fine.