Advanced Search

Author Topic: Fighter Classes [Public Beta 1h]  (Read 5592 times)

January 15, 2017, 03:50:28 AM
Read 5592 times

Offline AkumaKing

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: July 19, 2015, 08:28:31 PM

• View Profile
Fighter Classes [Public Beta 1h]
« on: January 15, 2017, 03:50:28 AM »
I've been working on this a little here and there (albeit lazily), it's a classes mod that brings fighting game characters into MM8BDM. It's still unfinished here and there, so I'm considering this a beta for now even though me and my friends tried to keep things relatively balanced and polished up, not to mention straight forward. I also took some creative freedoms here and there, but mostly tried to keep things true to the original games. This is probably gonna be my main project for some time, and I hope you guys enjoy it.

I'd also like to say I'm more than willing to add more to any classes that seem bland, but I also didn't want to fill them with 50 different attacks each. I'm currently also considering the idea of adding item based super moves in the near future before the roster gets too crowded.

Here's the download

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I can't stretch enough how I want this project to do well and will listen to any feedback given. Since my friend Kiseki lost interest in helping and Dimpsy left during a phase of inactivity, I'm kinda on my own for this right now. And I'm not that good at this really.

January 15, 2017, 03:14:17 PM
Reply #1

Offline AkumaKing

• Standard Member

• View Profile
Re: Fighter Classes [Public Beta 1]
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 03:14:17 PM »
I made a mess of my own mod and when asking my "testers" if anything should be changed people mostly remained silent or requested more aesthetic type changes such as sound and graphics. Either way, I'm working on a balance fix so it's at least not broken. Someone also said some classes were bland over Discord, so I guess I have overhauls to do in a future version after the balance fix.

If anyone has ideas for how to make any of these classes more interesting, tell me please. I want to stay close to the source material, but some more creative ideas wouldn't be terrible to have. I'll probably value fun over canon. These are more so interpretations of the characters anyways.

January 16, 2017, 07:46:43 PM
Reply #2

Offline AkumaKing

• Standard Member

• View Profile
Re: Fighter Classes [Public Beta 1h]
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 07:46:43 PM »
Updated the file to fix numerous things as well as make some other various changes.
Download here

(click to show/hide)

January 17, 2017, 10:03:53 PM
Reply #3

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss
  • Date Registered: December 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://fandedication.4umer.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 10:03:53 PM »
I don't plan on being an active tester on this but I took a look since you seem to really need some constructive feedback.

As far as I can see, this mod is severely lacking in the aesthetics. Like, personally, I wouldn't have even made this thing public at such an early stage. Just about all of the classes have their HUD sprites completely vanish when attacking. Others have no attack effects: even melee attacks could potentially have some sort of small projectile sprite (i.e Power Megaman's charged punch) just so you can see the range on them. That's not so much of a problem alone, but when paired with the absent HUD sprites you really have no clue on what you're even doing. Kyo comes to mind especially in this regard. I have little idea what the attacks are or what the range is on them, and thus, how to use them. Really, the most coherent people were Ryu and Terry, amusingly enough.

Secondly, you could do so much more for these classes than just two simple attacks. There is a vast variety of different attacks you could give them. (Ryu's Tatsumaki Senpukyaku, Terry's Rising Tackle, etc.) It also feels strange that you're only restricted to using their specials without having any regular attacks at all. Of course, this would probably be coding hell for you so don't stress too much on that.

I didn't test the classes in battle so I can't say anything about balance, but I find it strange how everyone has about 900-1000 HP. I would advise against something like that without making an edited Megaman class that has around the same amount. If for whatever reason somebody wants to play as Megaman, they would basically be one-shotted by essentially every attack any other class can dish out. So keep that in mind.

But in closing, the main issue so far is with the graphics. (or lack thereof?) Right now I would focus less on trying to balance things and more on trying to get everyone proper, working HUD sprites. (Even placeholders would be better than leaving them completely blank! Give them a buster or something!) Then give some of the attacks/projectiles sprites. You don't need to give all of the melee ones graphics, but some things like Terry's Burn Knuckle should probably have something so that people know to avoid it without having to listen out for him.

May 10, 2017, 04:58:12 PM
Reply #4

Offline AkumaKing

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 04:58:12 PM »
Sorry for leaving this dead. I took the critique to heart and had plans, so I tried to get some people to do spritework. I said I'd do other things in the meantime since all I do is program, but it eventually died. I do have plans to expand on moves a lot more, I just wanted to start simple. Maybe that was a mistake and I should've listened to my ambition at least a little more. If I ever do another update, which I actually really do want to, adding to the pool of moves/mechanics is top priority.

My main issue is I have no one to help with aesthetics and I really don't like just using placeholders. Dimpsy was gonna help, and he did for the Dead Spike sprite and I think I borrowed a skin from him, but he's probably busy with other stuff and is just one guy. I can't rely too much on him, though I have no artistic talent whatsoever. So, I'm mostly making this post to establish the current status of the mod and ask for help. I don't go on the forums much other than to make updates, though, so if anyone is willing to help I can be contacted on Skype (yami_nightcaster) or Discord (Zeta#8029). Zeta is my display name on both.

May 11, 2017, 07:43:42 PM
Reply #5

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 07:43:42 PM »
My best recommendation to you is to make one class and make sure he's fun before moving on to the next one.
And use placeholder graphics until you find an artist.