Advanced Search

Author Topic: Cutstuff Mapping Jam 5: Paper Jam  (Read 12216 times)

May 17, 2018, 05:23:14 AM
Read 12216 times

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: December 22, 2010, 10:43:54 PM

• View Profile
Cutstuff Mapping Jam 5: Paper Jam
« on: May 17, 2018, 05:23:14 AM »
Cutstuff Mapping Jam 5: Paper Jam

Hello everyone, its Dr. Freeman and welcome to the fifth Cutstuff Mapping Jam! Another year has flown by and you know what? Now sounds like a pretty swell time to make some maps! 8BDM itself might be on a hiatus, but this jam keeps on trucking!

But wait! You may be asking! I have no idea what this even is and why are weird robot masters poorly edited over a Mario & Luigi game's artwork?
Well, I can answer the first question! The Cutstuff Mapping Jam is something that's been going on for a few years now, and it's pretty much when the community gets together to make some maps! Both newcomers and veterans are welcome as always! In fact, I definitely encourage anyone who has thought about mapping but hasn't actually tried to give it a shot here!

What are the rules this time around? As usual, we're working in two phases. The classic "make a piece" phase that hasn't really changed at all from the last 2 jams, and a new second phase!

Basically, everyone is going to make a map piece (more details below) and submit it to me. This map piece will pretty much act as your sign up. After two weeks of piece submissions, every mapper will be assigned two pieces belonging to someone else and will have to make a map with those pieces!
However, that is not all! This year, I have gathered a large list of words in a nifty little book (and by book, I mean text document). These words range from things like "Castle" and "Ocean" to more abstract things such as "Jump" or "Beam". Everyone will be assigned two words at random, and those words must be applied to the map in some way, shape, or form! It could be something obvious such as the texture set or the setting, or it could be something else like a stage hazard, a general aesthetic, or just about anything! If you can figure out a way to apply a word to the map that makes sense, I'll buy it!

However, we have plenty of time before we worry about the words. Lets' talk a little more about the pieces, as that is the first phase!

(click to show/hide)

For the second phase...
(click to show/hide)

As said above, the way you sign up is by simply submitting your map piece! As soon as you do, you'll be all ready to dive into phase 2! It's important to note that if you don't make a map piece, you will be unable to participate in the full jam!

All map pieces are to be submitted to me either by PM or over Discord (You can find me at Freems#2222). Giving a healthy two weeks, all piece submissions will close on 11:59 EST on May 31st. At that point, we'll discuss phase 2, give out map pieces and words, and get to work!

That should be everything! If you have any questions, feel free to ask and thank you all so much! Now let's get out there and make a jam!

May 17, 2018, 06:30:00 AM
Reply #1

Offline YairDude

• Standard Member

• I make maps.
  • Date Registered: January 02, 2016, 12:53:52 AM

• View Profile
Re: Cutstuff Mapping Jam 5: Paper Jam
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 06:30:00 AM »
just what i needed to get motivation to map again!

May 20, 2018, 03:33:53 AM
Reply #2

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 03:33:53 AM »
Sent my piece in. Looking forward to seeing everyone's work!

May 29, 2018, 02:34:35 PM
Reply #3

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 02:34:35 PM »
I've got a good number of map pieces in already (from both old and new mappers, so that's exciting!) but here's my obligatory reminder that only three days remain to submit map pieces!

June 01, 2018, 05:17:38 AM
Reply #4

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 05:17:38 AM »
And two weeks have passed! It's time to rock and roll!

So now onto the mapping phase! Everyone will get their two words and their two pieces. I wanna make sure everyone has plenty of time to make maps, so they're not going to be due until Sunday, August 19th at 11:59 EST. That way, even if people are busy, they should still have time to make a map!

Speaking of maps, it's mostly freegame from this point out, but there are still a few guidelines.

-Each map must use both of the pieces it gets assigned and they both must be in playable area. You CAN make changes to the piece as you see fit. Change textures of course, but you can also make other smaller changes. Want the height of something changed a bit? You got it. Wanna get rid of a pesky pillar or add one? Get on it! As long as the piece is still recognizable as the piece, I will accept it!

-Each map must somehow be related to the two words assigned. It could be something minor, it could be something more. Let's say you get FIRE FACTORY. Pretty self explanatory. There should be some factory aspect, there should be some fire aspect. Or you could just set the factory on fire. And there are many ways to do it. As with pieces, if you're unsure if something will slide, ask me and I'll be free to help! Though when it comes to the word phase, if you can convince me, I'll most likely buy it. The definitions can be very loose! As long as something is there!

-Feel free to use custom assets as you see fit! You don't have to use core assets if you don't wish!

-Please make your song 8-bit. If you don't I will change it. You do not and should not add a boss theme. And any map card icon/border will be replaced so don't get too attached to those.

-I can deny maps if they either fail completely to use the pieces or the words, or if they're just really really poor quality. However, me and I'm sure countless others are willing to help you out if you're struggling with your map. This isn't a competition, so I'm sure there are plenty of people who are ready to help you out!

I think that's it. So in the spoilers below, I'll list everyone's names in alphabetical order, what pieces they have to use, and what words they got.
Here we go.

(click to show/hide)

You can find all the map pieces right here! https://www.dropbox.com/sh/40hhm3q7b6fxvvv/AAA6VjnrGkVdAOP6yWkEFrK0a?dl=0

Let's go out there and make some maps! See you later!

June 01, 2018, 04:24:42 PM
Reply #5

Offline Hilman170499

• MM8BDM Extender

• BLUE FOR DAYS!!!
  • Date Registered: March 18, 2012, 05:49:26 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 04:24:42 PM »
Just asking real quickly, but is there a naming standard for the map codes, or are you going to handle that after the fact?

June 09, 2018, 03:10:51 AM
Reply #6

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 03:10:51 AM »
Just asking real quickly, but is there a naming standard for the map codes, or are you going to handle that after the fact?

I handle all the map codes and all that while compiling.

August 14, 2018, 09:24:02 PM
Reply #7

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 09:24:02 PM »
By request of multiple people (and the fact that deadline ended up being in the middle of me being in a play so I wouldn't really have time to compile the pack anyway), the deadline has been extended by one week. So maps are now due by 11:59 pm est on August 26th.

August 27, 2018, 09:45:37 PM
Reply #8

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 09:45:37 PM »
wow

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=8bdm_jampack-v4a.pk3

Here is the map list
(click to show/hide)

August 30, 2018, 08:27:25 PM
Reply #9

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 08:27:25 PM »
There are things to fix and I hate waiting a long time to fix it.
So here's another version 3 days later because I'm insane.

Most of it is just minor bugfixes and the such, but Jam17 has also got a brand new map. So that's pretty cool

plsdon'tbreakagainidon'twanttodoanotherversion

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=8bdm_jampack-v4b.pk3

September 10, 2018, 11:38:01 PM
Reply #10

Offline berserkx33

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: July 22, 2010, 08:44:09 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 11:38:01 PM »
I think I ran into a problem with some Paper Jam maps. Atleast on my end, the Defiler of Taboos map (PAP07) has a ton of objects with common names with objects from other well known mappacks (The most obvious is the way it breaks the RNCCLA map by replacing it's platforms with just some jumble of sprites)

I think a simple renaming of those objects can fix it though. Also, there is some map in this pack that has a heart object that for some reason it replaces the small bushes from the RNCFLA map.

September 10, 2018, 11:53:01 PM
Reply #11

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 11:53:01 PM »
I think I ran into a problem with some Paper Jam maps. Atleast on my end, the Defiler of Taboos map (PAP07) has a ton of objects with common names with objects from other well known mappacks (The most obvious is the way it breaks the RNCCLA map by replacing it's platforms with just some jumble of sprites)

I think a simple renaming of those objects can fix it though. Also, there is some map in this pack that has a heart object that for some reason it replaces the small bushes from the RNCFLA map.

It's because the object IDs are the same. Keeping track of all the IDs that custom objects use in all the different map packs is next to impossible unfortunately as right now I can't do much about it. I can change the ID numbers later down the line, but that would have to wait for the next version.
If RNC was loaded after Jampack instead of before it would have the opposite effect. The RNC objects would appear in PAP07.

Thank you for reporting though. I knew it was only a matter of time before these map packs started fighting each other with objects like that.

September 19, 2018, 03:45:49 PM
Reply #12

Offline Ruzma

• Standard Member

• darkness
  • Date Registered: August 05, 2018, 05:49:10 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 03:45:49 PM »
Hey, how can I play the music from these maps? I reeeeaally want to play Defiler of Taboos whenever I wish to, but, I tried "PA07MUS" and "PAP07". Both didn't work.

September 19, 2018, 05:12:01 PM
Reply #13

Offline SuperCraig64

• Standard Member

• Old username, goes by "Snivy"
  • Date Registered: March 11, 2017, 11:11:44 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 05:12:01 PM »
Hey, how can I play the music from these maps? I reeeeaally want to play Defiler of Taboos whenever I wish to, but, I tried "PA07MUS" and "PAP07". Both didn't work.

Try putting "PAPMUS07" in with the "changemus" command, as I believe that's how the music codes are formatted for this map pack.

September 19, 2018, 06:45:35 PM
Reply #14

Offline Sir Anon0mos

• Standard Member

• Sir An0n, has it all on UHF
  • Date Registered: July 29, 2016, 02:00:58 AM

• View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 06:45:35 PM »
You'll also need to extract the music files and put them in a separate file in your skins folder, if you aren't playing with the mappack loaded