Advanced Search

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Merge official game mode mods into core game.  (Read 2888 times)

July 24, 2015, 09:41:14 PM
Read 2888 times

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 12:49:25 PM

• View Profile
[Suggestion] Merge official game mode mods into core game.
« on: July 24, 2015, 09:41:14 PM »
There are certain mods that add new game mode to the game. However, certain mods are needlessly mods as opposed to being in the core game.

Mods that I am referring to:
-Roboenza
-Screw Scramble
-March of the Metools

These are mods that CutmanMike himself created and they are all good enough to be included into the main game without the servers and players have to add an expansion to get them to work. They could be activated through the server enabling a certain command while on the correct gameplay mode (LMS, CTF etc.).

Mods that I am not referring to:
-Class mods (YD, Justified, Unholy etc.)
-Map packs
-Expansion packs (RNC for example)

These sorts of mods shouldn't be in the main game and the reasons go without saying.

Adding those officially created mods into the core game would give them extra attention again and would prevent the need to frequently update them for each core game update to suit things such as palette changes and ammo bars and whatnot.

July 24, 2015, 10:00:30 PM
Reply #1

Offline Messatsu

• MM8BDM Extender

• Date Registered: November 10, 2010, 04:06:39 PM

• View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Merge official game mode mods into core gam
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 10:00:30 PM »
I don't see this working out as you expect.  It's more that would have to be maintained along with the core game.  Bugs would be much slower to be addressed and honestly it's not like loading another wad is really that difficult anyway.  At this point we're trying to clean up the core code as much as possible, not add more bloat.

July 25, 2015, 02:26:47 AM
Reply #2

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 02:26:47 AM »
Also mods like this tend to all use the same game mod to work.

July 25, 2015, 03:27:05 AM
Reply #3

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 03:27:05 AM »
I figure just having some compatible versions packaged into the .zip file that contains the game, zandronum, etc. might be beneficial in the long run as far as player dedication goes.

I'd imagine that it would provide for players to more easily learn as to how to run .wad files in relation to MM8BDM without having to directly dig through Cutstuff boards (or get them through Doomseeker, though I'd assume many people take the Cutstuff step first).
Perhaps it would allow for people for gather more interest in the forums beyond "oh got the game installed let's play (the single player)". It'd be a good way to advertise what kind of stuff the community is capable of.

I disagree that they'd need to be a direct priority for the dev team, and I figure the only real steps needed would need to be ensuring they can physically work with new weapons, and checking some flags for weapons that may break them.
Mod updates could potentially be made as harmless as possible with this in mind. Stickied threads in the projects section could be used for discussions over said included mods, and could eventually house updates for the game modes.
The launcher would be modified slightly to signify said updates.

(very crude example below)

Could just be a visionary talking but I feel there is potential with an idea like this and I think it's wasted potential to dust it aside.

Quote from: "fortegigasgospel"
Also mods like this tend to all use the same game mod to work.

You've got that wrong.
March of the Metools uses CTF.
Roboenza uses LMS.
Screw Scramble uses TDM (and CTF apparently).

July 25, 2015, 03:45:21 AM
Reply #4

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 03:45:21 AM »
Quote from: "BiscuitSlash"
These are mods that CutmanMike himself created and they are all good enough to be included into the main game without the servers and players have to add an expansion to get them to work. They could be activated through the server enabling a certain command while on the correct gameplay mode (LMS, CTF etc.).

Even though I made them I have to disagree with this. Bundling them with the core may make them see more play but currently these modes are either never played, are outdated or have been heavily modified by modders. CTF and all the other core Zandronum mods barely see any play even though we (mostly) support them in the core.

The client itself could use a more modern rework which can ease players into the different game modes. Getting doomseeker and all the hundreds of MBs for popular mods is already very intimidating to newer players and they simply won't bother. MM8BDM is big enough to warrant it's own "doomseeker" which cuts out all the unnecessary crap, only displays MM8BDM servers and a more professional looking interface. It is something I've thought about a lot but sadly haven't figured out how to make something talk to the Zandronum master server. It is something that might need more looking into but I don't have time at the moment as I just netted myself a temporary UI job, perhaps after that though I can dedicate some time into this.

Moving to closed.

July 27, 2015, 10:57:20 PM
Reply #5

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 10:57:20 PM »
Mike put this in the wrong section...
Moving to rejected, I guess.