Advanced Search

Author Topic: GVHv3b6 - Released!  (Read 69493 times)

February 19, 2012, 08:56:08 PM
Reply #60

Offline CarThief

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 21, 2009, 10:31:00 PM

• View Profile
Re: GVHv3b5 - Released!
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2012, 08:56:08 PM »
Ah, didnt expect you to go all the way just to tell me that, but thanks i suppose. Now to update the links some more.

December 23, 2013, 07:39:14 AM
Reply #61

Knux

Re: GVHv3b6 - Beta Test!
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2013, 07:39:14 AM »
There's a bug that's always been around, and that's getting randomly telefragged when chomping down a human as Jitterskull. I was playing just now on v3b6 and it happened a few times.

By the way, if I'm making a map for GvH, what are the standards?

December 25, 2013, 01:45:02 AM
Reply #62

Offline CarThief

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2013, 01:45:02 AM »
Hm, yeah that's a highly persistent bug that I tried to fix but the only potential solutions would allow players to move through eachother and that can kinda break the game. I've only ever witnessed it in singleplayer though, mostly during campaigns, there's something about it that always has it happen there, but practically never in multiplayer, unless that changed at a late update? Havent played in a while though, games like Starbound can take a lot of time, heh... Oh and that bug also happens sometimes while running through enemies that just died, like when munching them with Choke.

I guess the map shouldn't have any instant death pits, as those are awful to work with when you're Jitterskull, he also doesn't work well with deep water, so overusing that is not adviced (but possible, see Lets Bowl), on the other side of things overuse of ice/slipperiness may benefit him too much! Hehe... Ah how far he'll slide when attacking on ice.
Hm, also be careful to not create any holes or such where Creeper can essentially either walk out of the map or be unable to be shot (for creeper-only tunnels the out of range areas could have damage over time effects, like poisonous waste.

I guess it also helps to be careful with any 3D platforms/bridges, those mess with Jitterskull too if not properly handled. Bridges certainly can be used against him (some older/poorly made bridges may result in him being unable to go above/below it, or get stuck), as he cant get on top of bridges from the lower areas, if they work properly.
I cant make guarantees about adding the map though, not all of them play very well after all.

Man I really should update the topic with the latest testing build sometime, also replaced a old map of mine with a newer one.

December 25, 2013, 04:53:49 AM
Reply #63

Knux

« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2013, 04:53:49 AM »
I think the reason for the telefragging is the spawning of bits and pieces that fly in different directions. Maybe you can change their property or their way of appearing? Yeah, I got nothing... :X

Oh, I did start my map by the way. Figured GvH could use a desert one since there are none.
(click to show/hide)

December 25, 2013, 04:48:20 PM
Reply #64

Offline CarThief

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2013, 04:48:20 PM »
A interesting thought, i could always check those with anti-felefrag flags, i guess.
Hm, and a desert eh? I guess do be careful to not make it too large that it'll be sheer human Paradise, and i do hope that screenshot is not even close to the final result, if anything it could kinda use the good ol infinite background wall thing in conjunction with some fences and stuff, like they often do with water in other maps, so you're not staring at a large wall where the desert should seemingly stretch on.

The rocks could be a bit less blocky/square-ish too but i guess thats just nitpicking a bit much by now. :P
Hm... Even with some maps added i dont know if i could get the thing updated very recently, always had a bit of a lack of testers for any large-scale tests to make sure balancing works and such. I guess that will take a fair while...

Ugh this unwanted windows-issued spellchecker is driving me crazy, i need to find a way to turn that damn thing off... The godamn thing only accepts dutch language and i want the damn thing entirely off... Damn Windows 8 computers...

January 05, 2014, 07:00:13 AM
Reply #65

Knux

« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2014, 07:00:13 AM »
You know, I wish there was a way for Sjas players to have that moving sound play lower for them. I don't think it's possible, but it would be SO good for the ears.

January 06, 2014, 05:03:44 AM
Reply #66

Offline CarThief

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2014, 05:03:44 AM »
Hm, a interesting thought, maybe that it would be doable by running some ACS scripts clientside through a clientside-spawned-only actor, somehow. And having that actor decide the noise level by checking if you're the cause of the sound or maybe applies to all Sjas players. This concept could even be used to mute the Sjas player's own chase sound entirely, maybe.

But just halfing the volume or something for the owner might be enough. Probably doable if i can work out a way to have it quickly target and check the player's class.
Due to the lack of testing oppertunities with larger player groups i've got nothing better to do anyway. :P

Edit: Well i had time to kill at work and turns out it just doesnt sound very well; the sound may fluctuate (but i blame that on the weird sound setting of the work computer, ALL sound lowers to a set volume when sound occurs in any loud fashion, except background music, otherwise sound slowly rises again to a set higher volume), and the sound doesnt follow the player making said sound making things even more confusing and weird.
Well, atleast that was an interesting experiment in clientside-only noises that may need to be put to use someday.

January 22, 2014, 04:42:04 PM
Reply #67

Knux

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2014, 04:42:04 PM »
Hmm, what a shame. By the way, let me mention this before I forget for the billionth time. Do you have plans to make GvH playable in Zandronum? As it is right now, it requires Skulltag to run. Loading GvH with the Skulltag files on Zandronum won't work. It's a shame because Skulltag isn't really used anymore.

January 23, 2014, 01:02:59 PM
Reply #68

Offline CarThief

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2014, 01:02:59 PM »
Hm, i had no problems to run GVHv3b5 with Zandronum, using ST files, are you sure you've put them in the proper order?
It'll need something like this, in that particular order:
Skulltag_actors.pk3 (i dont think it matters much which ST file comes first)
Skulltag_data_126.pk3
GVHv3b5.pk3
GVHv3b4-santa.pk3 (optional)
GVHv3b4-yurei-battle.pk3 (optional)

Using this i was able to get it running with Zandronum v1.2 (2.3.1-1551).
If that all doesnt work i'll need to know what error message it gives and how you're trying to run it, if not with what.

January 24, 2014, 02:25:14 AM
Reply #69

Knux

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2014, 02:25:14 AM »
That's odd. I was pretty sure I had tried every combination, but yours worked just fine. Good to know, then.

March 08, 2014, 12:40:22 PM
Reply #70

Offline CarThief

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
Re: GVHv3b6 - Released!
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2014, 12:40:22 PM »
Well this update took forever to create due to to not having all that many people to test it with, unfortunately. The first thing you'll probably notice is that the Hunter's lightning bow is changed to a projectile (which does more damage as it travels further), and some changes to the Engineer's saws. There's also an new button to show information about your current class (assuming i didnt implement that in the last version, i just dont remember), in the same style as the achievement list. And a big load of fixes and optimizing how some HUD messages and things look.

In the unlikely case this will pick up and see some action, i expect plenty of lightning arrow complaints, despite the fact one could use Ice arrows as well for massive damage (just requires more aim i guess).
But issues are to be expected at this rate due to the lack of testing and feedback in comparison to old times, so its back to the good ol formula of release version, get threats and complaints, change at next version. :P

See the changelog at the first post for all the other changes.

December 10, 2016, 11:38:07 PM
Reply #71

Offline Robotallion

• Standard Member

• Please don't sneeze the breeze will freeze.
  • Date Registered: December 07, 2016, 08:44:40 PM

• View Profile
Re: GVHv3b6 - Released!
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2016, 11:38:07 PM »
These links don't work are there new ones?