Advanced Search

Author Topic: Mega Man Cross X SP [WIP]  (Read 12008 times)

January 12, 2016, 02:16:14 AM
Read 12008 times

Offline Trillster

• Time Lord

• what's a code
  • Date Registered: July 18, 2014, 08:42:32 PM

• View Profile
    • Portfolio
Mega Man Cross X SP [WIP]
« on: January 12, 2016, 02:16:14 AM »

Once again another cooperative mod rises to the scene, though this one aims to be the most difficult out of the bunch. Mega Man Cross X SP as the name suggests, is based on the Mega Man 5 romhack of the same name, Mega Man Cross X. Unlike most romhacks, Mega Man Cross X was more of a boss rush with some mini challenges on the side, though the bosses were no laughing matter. This cooperative mod hopes to keep it the same way, with small stages that lead immediately into a boss fight, so without further ado, here's the important stuff.

For those who haven't seen what Cross X is:
(click to show/hide)

Screenshot(s):
(click to show/hide)

Q & A: [Will expand on this section later if more questions come in]

Q: Will this mod support Multiplayer?
A: Although HP scaling for large groups of players won't be added until later demos, the mod will work in Multiplayer, albeit unbalanced.

Q: Will this mod include the entirety of Mega Man Cross X?
A: Definitely plan on putting all that I can in, the romhack was never finished but that won't stop me from putting what was finished in.

Q: Are the bonus weapons like Ultra Buster and Drain Cutter going to make an appearance in this mod?
A: Yes! In fact, the Ultra Buster has already been implemented, the only weapons that I won't include are the ones that are non-functional, as no one wants a gun that fires nothing I'd assume.

Q: Any plans to add the entire SP gang to this mod?
A: Not yet, the main idea is to add Mega Man first, then I'll expand from there.

Q: Will Mega Man be able to charge his buster and slide?
A: Mega Man will have both of these abilities, and the sliding does mean that each weapon will have an altfire.

Q: Can I help with [insert task here]?
A: Go for it! I'll look at any maps, weapon concepts, or bosses you send my way. I would suggest sending them to me over Cutmail or my Skype which is, Sonicfam1102.

Q: When will this mod be finished?
A: I don't really have any release date on this, so the only answer I can really give is it'll be done when it's done.

Weapon Concepts
(click to show/hide)

Map Specific Needs:
(click to show/hide)

Things Finished/Being Worked On:

Stages Finished : 0%
Main Weapons Finished : 100%
Bosses Finished : 0%
Bonus Items Finished : 60%

Shocker Man:
Stage - Open
Weapon (Ghost Cannon) - Finished
Boss - Open

Quick Man:
Stage - Open
Weapon (Quick Vulcan) - Finished
Boss - Open

Elec Man:
Stage - Open
Weapon (Electric Spark) - Finished
Boss - Open

Shadow Man:
Stage - Taken (LlamaHombre)
Weapon (Shadow Blade) - Finished
Boss - Finished

Air Man:
Stage - Open
Weapon (Air Sniper) - Finished
Boss - Open

Toad Man:
Stage - Open
Weapon (Toad Bomb) - Finished
Boss - Finished

Magnet Man:
Stage - Open
Weapon (Magnet Shield) - Finished
Boss - Open

Fire Man:
Stage - Finished
Weapon (Fire Storm) - Finished
Boss - Finished

Bonus Items:
Weapon (Ultra Buster) - Finished
Weapon (Drain Cutter) - Finished
Weapon (Item Needle) - Open
Weapon (Weapon Blast) - Finished
Collectables (O-DRIVE! Parts) - Open

January 26, 2016, 04:47:50 AM
Reply #1

Offline Trillster

• Time Lord

• what's a code

• View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Mega Man Cross X SP [WIP]
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 04:47:50 AM »
With all of the main weapons finally being finished, I think it's about time for an update. This update brings weapon concepts and screenshots. These will give you a general idea of how the weapons will work in a 3D enviroment. Along with those, the two poll winners are Shadow Man and Toad Man, so next update will be bringing Shadow Man in his home turf. All of the new update information can be found on the main post or right here.

New Screenshots :
(click to show/hide)

Weapon Concepts :
(click to show/hide)

January 26, 2016, 06:16:11 PM
Reply #2

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something
  • Date Registered: October 29, 2012, 03:32:09 AM

• View Profile
    • http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 06:16:11 PM »
As someone that loves ROM hacks, I'm really happy to see this in production. (especially considering I sprite ripped some assets from the original hack on TSR)

Though last time I checked the hack was unfinished, ending after the second Fortress stage, and leaving two of the bonus weapons (The Z-Saber and X-Buster) completely in the dust. My only guess is that the first boss of Stage 3 would be Snake Man, seeing how the room you start in has his tiles.

The one thing I would recommend based on the screenshots above is to reverse F.Storm's skin colors, so Blue is the magenta color and Cyan is the orange color, unless that's just the palette when charging.

If you need any help finding any secrets of the hack, feel free to let me know. I know pretty much all of the major secrets, including all the secret bosses.

January 26, 2016, 07:30:13 PM
Reply #3

Offline Trillster

• Time Lord

• what's a code

• View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 07:30:13 PM »
Chances are I'll most likely end this mod on Fortress Stage 2, rather than trying to make up my own bosses. Anyway, I decided to open up another poll, this time for the HUD design. Should I go for the MM8BDM standard with weapon icons and the NES bars, or should I use the MMCX bars with no weapon icons?

January 26, 2016, 10:20:23 PM
Reply #4

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 10:20:23 PM »
I'll say MMCX with weapon icons.

Also, I'd like to make a small correction: Toad Man's weapon is called the "Toad Bomb", not "Toxic Bomb".

January 29, 2016, 11:36:23 PM
Reply #5

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 12:49:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 11:36:23 PM »
As a fan of this ROM hack, I will more than happily participate in this expansion!!

I've actually already made Drain Cutter, and you're more than welcome to use it in this expansion!

January 30, 2016, 12:32:40 AM
Reply #6

Offline Trillster

• Time Lord

• what's a code

• View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 12:32:40 AM »
Man, I had to check out that Drain Cutter weapon and it works awesome, I'll probably make a few speed and damage tweaks for balance but this is definitely the one I'm using. Anyway, if you want to work on any map or bosses (I. Needle is an option too if you'd like), just send me a Cutmail message and I'll go ahead and update this thread. I might also set up a beta testing Skype group if anyone would be interested in that, considering I do have practically all of the weapons with this new Drain Cutter.

January 30, 2016, 12:46:28 AM
Reply #7

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
maybe could try out coding too
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 12:46:28 AM »
What exactly are you gonna need for stages? They seem simple enough to work on, but if you could provide some guidelines, I'd be willing to help out.

January 30, 2016, 01:01:59 AM
Reply #8

Offline Trillster

• Time Lord

• what's a code

• View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 01:01:59 AM »
The main thing I'm looking for in stages is a mini challenge somewhat similar to CX's original stage (Example: Toad Man's stage having a small spike maze). Along with this, there of course needs to be a boss room (640x640x256), I would suggest using a MMSP boss room as a base for the door and boss spawning. Depending on the map there'll be a bit more such as Shocker Man and Quick Man having a hidden spot for I. Needle and D. Cutter respectively. I'm not really going to be too strict on map details so feel free to make a few changes if a challenge just won't work in 3D or the textures aren't looking quite right (This'll definitely need to be done for Elec Man's challenge). I'll probably write a checklist on the main page in a bit for what each stage needs, in particular Elec Man, Toad Man, and Magnet Man as they need two boss rooms, one for the boss of the stage then a hidden one for the secret bosses. Anyway, I'll just end it with this, as long as I can tell what stage it is and it isn't a complete eyesore, it'll be fine for me. Also anyone looking to code some more stuff is fine by me, the quicker bosses and stages are finished, the more content I can release.

January 30, 2016, 01:28:25 AM
Reply #9

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 01:28:25 AM »
Alright, seems fair enough. I'd like to give Shadowman's stage a shot, then.

January 30, 2016, 08:17:14 PM
Reply #10

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 08:17:14 PM »
So how about Shocker Man's destroyable bone tiles? I could probably sprite rotations of them if you want since for the best performance they would have to be objects.

I could also maybe do something for Evil Beat and Evil Eddie.

January 30, 2016, 08:43:08 PM
Reply #11

Offline Trillster

• Time Lord

• what's a code

• View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 08:43:08 PM »
I think at the moment we don't need Break Beat and Eddie sprites, though if you want to get some done in advance that's fine by me, and as for the bone tiles, those indeed are going to be actors, and they'll need the three variations, bottom, middle, and top.

January 30, 2016, 09:40:59 PM
Reply #12

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 12:49:25 PM

• View Profile
Yep, I really like this expansion!
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 09:40:59 PM »
I might have a go at doing the overdrive thing, since I actually have the sprites for that ripped and sorted out. Originally intended to use 'em for CSCC but that never happened. How the overdrive would work here, I'm uncertain on though.

Oh, I also have sprites for Breakman holding his shield, which could see some use here!

I also thought about what it would be like to make the evil Eddie thing, and I'd really like to be able to do it. If so, I may as well do the evil Beat thing as well.

I'll try making some of the main bosses as well if I can, though first I'd like to replay this hack in order to refresh my memory, as well as update it as I'm kinda used to an outdated version.

February 01, 2016, 02:32:57 AM
Reply #13

Offline Trillster

• Time Lord

• what's a code

• View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 02:32:57 AM »
Yo, since more interest is coming in for this expansion, I figured I might as well finally make a beta-testing group for Skype! You can put your skype name in this thread or send it over Cutmail if privacy's your dealio, and I'll add you to the group. This group will also double for people who plan to contribute regularly to this expansion, so there's that option if beta-testing isn't really your thing. With that being said, I'm amazed I actually created that HUD poll without actually giving a template on what each HUD would look like, so I'm going to do that right now. It's a crime I didn't do this earlier, sorry about that folks, the poll does allow revoting though, so keep this in mind!

MM8BDM Default:
(click to show/hide)

Mega Man CX Bars (No Icons):
(click to show/hide)

Mega Man CX Bars (Icons):
(click to show/hide)

As you can probably notice, depending on the option, the weapon icons indeed do change to fit with the bar. Also I would like to mention, if something you want to contribute is not on the main page, such as bosses like the Break Refights or the Fortress Stages, still feel free to contribute them, I'll just put them into reserve for use in a later update. The same goes for sprites and stage assets.

February 01, 2016, 03:36:25 AM
Reply #14

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 03:36:25 AM »
I voted for the 8bdm one, for consistency sake with other mods.
I'd love to try and help with this expansion any way I could, but coding isn't my strong point so mapping could be tricky for me due to the stage like appearance of the maps.
I didn't really look through the video in full, I understand the expansion is a SP mod, though curious if you are going to try and keep the weapons unique from other weapons in the core of 8bdm or not worry about it since they don't show up in the mode and if the weapons don't show up in MP. If you DO want to try and have them function differently I would be glad to try and help come up with ideas for them if they don't already.