Advanced Search

Author Topic: Mega Man: Redux  (Read 3603 times)

April 09, 2015, 03:00:49 PM
Read 3603 times

Offline Cheeyev

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 02, 2015, 09:39:35 PM

• View Profile
Mega Man: Redux
« on: April 09, 2015, 03:00:49 PM »
So I decided to make a new map-pack, or at least a demo of one, featuring Mega Man stages remade in new styles using graphics from Wily Wars, devamped to NES style. Unfortunately, as I'm inserting new graphics, it's going to be a hard trip to make these maps, as well as make new map layouts. I'm only relatively new to Doom Builder 2, so I don't know more advance stuff, like how to offset floor graphics, proper use of tags, animation, floating sectors separated from the top ceiling to the bottom floor, etc etc. I started with Metal Man's stage, and so far, this is how it's going:
(click to show/hide)
You can download the current WAD for this stage here. Any criticism or help for me?

April 09, 2015, 03:38:40 PM
Reply #1

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
Just the usual first map experience
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 03:38:40 PM »
Textures are cut/used incorrectly, overall aesthetic is bland, weapon tokens too close to each other, pointless metal crusher(?) off to the side, un-needed height variation next to super adaptor (An already cramped room), ramps in locations where walkable stairs would easily be enough, and lack of ceiling variation.

I'd recommend to take a look at how the core (or certain map packs) does spacing and variation to further improve yourself.
Oh, and using textures correctly. a 64x64 texture is meant for a 64x64 area, not a 46x89 area.

There's quite a lot just screenshots can tell; people don't give them enough credit.

April 09, 2015, 03:40:54 PM
Reply #2

Offline Cheeyev

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 02, 2015, 09:39:35 PM

• View Profile
Re: Just the usual first map experience
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 03:40:54 PM »
Quote from: "Rozark Kyouko"
Textures are cut/used incorrectly, Overall aesthetic is bland, weapon tokens too close to each other, pointless metal crusher(?) off to the side, un-needed height variation next to super adaptor (An already cramped room), ramps in locations where walkable stairs would easily be enough, and lack of ceiling variation.

I'd recommend to take a look at how the core (or certain map packs) does spacing and variation to further improve yourself.
Yeah, I know. It's nowhere near done in the current state, and is in a current beta. I was just using it for testing. I plan to fix the textures and whatnot once I find the proper sizes for them.

April 17, 2015, 02:59:17 AM
Reply #3

Offline Jennifer

• Standard Member

• *Flaps arms*
  • Date Registered: October 31, 2010, 03:59:53 PM

• View Profile
The plot thickens.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 02:59:17 AM »
Stick to 32x32 units when making a map. You really never need to switch off of 32 because most, if not all of the core textures have some divisibility into 32. (A great example is Mega Water S' textures, which go up to 1024 but are still divisible by 32 units.)

Otherwise, like Rozark said, look at some of the core maps and see how they've used textures and layouts. A good way to start out a map is to make a square room, then build off from there until you like the design. And, make sure weapons aren't right on top of teach other, like with your Oil Slider, Metal Blade, and Screw Crusher locations. Spacing is important.

I also don't see any health or weapon pickups. How are you gonna keep using those weapons if you can't get any ammo for them? For a first time map, it has a lot of kinks, but if you rework things and gain more experience with mapping, I'm sure in the future you'll be able to make a great map.