Advanced Search

Author Topic: [FINISHED] The Lobstacle Challenge Tournament  (Read 14017 times)

March 03, 2015, 03:25:29 AM
Read 14017 times

Offline skully

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 18, 2011, 06:11:17 AM

• View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/dryfclr5
[FINISHED] The Lobstacle Challenge Tournament
« on: March 03, 2015, 03:25:29 AM »
FINAL WINNER

lucasmargaret / Ghoulitine

Final showdown:
(click to show/hide)

So i heard you like Tournaments.
SO HERES A TOURNAMENT:
LOBSTACLE COURSE CHALLENGE.

RULES

First and foremost: NO SR50
Alright; the basics:
The 2 racers shall pick one map each.
Then a coinflip will commence; whoever wins the coinflip will get his map.
Then both competitors shall race until the end; the first one to exit the level wins.

Maps Aproved:
(click to show/hide)

Here's da bracket:

And here's the list of racers:

(click to show/hide)

Record times:
3:16 on OC00 by EpsilonTheSadBuizel
2:02 on OC12 by Sonicfam1022

So, of course nobody likes to play without an enticing reward, so. IVE GOT SOMETHING FOR YOU.

The winner of this tournament will get...

THE SPEEDRUNNER MEDAL!

So get racing and have fun!

March 03, 2015, 06:15:30 AM
Reply #1

Knux

Re: The Lobstacle Challenge Tournament
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 06:15:30 AM »
First of all, though, get rid of the irrelevant files such as extra music and exosounds. They're bullshit and are just there for the sake of being there.

March 03, 2015, 09:54:54 PM
Reply #2

Offline Trillster

• Time Lord

• what's a code
  • Date Registered: July 18, 2014, 08:42:32 PM

• View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 09:54:54 PM »
Quote from: "Knux"
First of all, though, get rid of the irrelevant files such as extra music and exosounds. They're bullshit and are just there for the sake of being there.

Thank god, I'm not the only one who hates those useless addons, even Lobs hates this! Also, I feel since Lobs is no longer in MM8BDM, we should do this in honor of his amazing work, so I feel we ought to play this the way it was intended, without useless addons.

For those wondering, this is how I know he hates it, he put a rant in the final map, GFY. Anyway, before I post this rant, I'll go ahead and join so add me to that list! Also does this mean that the speed running medal will get some use?

NOTE : Before you read this, it will have quite a large amount of bashing on other mods but he has a valid point, so try not to hate, and it also contains quite a bit of vulgar language. Also I edited out a small part of this so that it doesn't spoil the ending of the map, (which I quite liked).

"I'd like to thank the people who played OC and grew to enjoy it the people who hosted it in the early days the people who liked the maps. The people who helped making OC. This is the last map to the last update of OC. It's the finale. I like repeating myself sometimes. Well the map is named Go fuck yourself mainly in reference to the people who host OC with pointless add-on that do NOT ADD ANYTHING OF ANY FUCKING VALUE. ACS SCRIPTED TAUNTS COOL. MUSIC PACKS that in total can reach half a gig in download size. WHAT IS YOUR FUCKING DEAL? NOBODY WANTS TO LISTEN TO THAT GARBAGE JUST use itunes or windows media player or what the Fuckity Fuck fucking  fuckever. GO FUCK YOURSELF! It saddens me that OC never got the finish it never deserved and while most of the better maps equate to internal pissing contests who can make the harder set of rectangles or better utilize gimmicks. The rest are half assed pieces of shit. But oc was always half-assed. So it's quarter-assed. I'm comfortable with jumping from squares in big rectangles with assortments of color. IF you think I need to redraw the maps so that they're just scenic valleys and giant ass empty souless canyons like all mm8bdm mappacks as of late  turn out to be. GIANT pieces of scenary with no layout. It's just as wonderful as an attractive person with no redeeming qualites. GO RIGHTFULLY FUCK YOURSELF.... And more importantly the people who suck up and kiss ass and then think they are buddy buddy with me then add stupid addons. Go fuck yourself the hardest. Oh and one last thing Unholy is a piece of fucking trash. Kiddies stop playing saxton rehashes. It got old in 2012 probably before most of you even starting playing mm8bdm." - A dissapointed Lobsters

March 04, 2015, 04:18:02 PM
Reply #3

Offline BookofDobson

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: September 05, 2014, 11:04:24 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 04:18:02 PM »
That... Sounds more like mad than disappointing but yea the forced music packs are bad

March 04, 2015, 07:28:03 PM
Reply #4

Offline skully

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 18, 2011, 06:11:17 AM

• View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/dryfclr5
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 07:28:03 PM »
Got a server up and running. that only uses the essentials to the tourney.

March 05, 2015, 12:11:31 AM
Reply #5

Offline Rubyyoshi

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 07, 2015, 02:10:47 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 12:11:31 AM »
Eh, sure, I'll join as well. I agree with Lobsters though with the annoyance of adding useless add-ons.

March 05, 2015, 12:52:17 AM
Reply #6

Offline Daniel

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: February 26, 2015, 10:43:52 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 12:52:17 AM »
Meh, i'll join as well.   :)

March 05, 2015, 12:55:10 AM
Reply #7

Offline Ghoulitine

• Athlete
  • Date Registered: December 30, 2013, 10:23:26 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 12:55:10 AM »
Well, count me in for the tournament :L

"I'm in it to win, baby!  #1, here i come!!    -Travis Touchdown

I do apologize to anyone for the unnecesary big music packs, i am the one responsible for those.
I am rather novice at this kinda stuff, and i also knew that it really wasnt neccesary, its just that people seemed fine with it.
If someone (or perhaps Lobs) told me about that issue, it would not even had to go this far.

March 05, 2015, 02:26:43 AM
Reply #8

Offline ZeroZX3

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 30, 2014, 07:14:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 02:26:43 AM »
Well.... it looks interisting... allright, count me in the tournament, gamename Cyber-Elf Zero.

March 05, 2015, 01:39:42 PM
Reply #9

Offline Ghoulitine

• Athlete

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 01:39:42 PM »
And another rule-related thing: I think every map needs to be played, not a random one each time.

Reason being that we do need to have the time of each racer (or just the single best time) of each map, the order can be random, but
each map should be played once.

Well, that is except for OC06 and the "devil eye enemies with switches and devileye-boss" -map, it just doesnt really work, and having only a single life is terrible for that as well.
Also, in OC06 you WILL run into serious ammo issues, and since ammo drops are random, its even worse.

March 05, 2015, 09:09:46 PM
Reply #10

Offline Trillster

• Time Lord

• what's a code

• View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 09:09:46 PM »
True, but some maps ought to be banned due to difficulty/RNG factor. While I love every OC map in general, there are just some that aren't suited for tournaments. These include OC39, OC22, OC43, and all secret maps (and maybe TUTORIAL). Though with that being said, if we're going to do every map, does that mean we should go ahead and get our best times for each map?

March 05, 2015, 11:39:06 PM
Reply #11

Offline Ghoulitine

• Athlete

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 11:39:06 PM »
Quote from: "Sonicfam1102"
True, but some maps ought to be banned due to difficulty/RNG factor. While I love every OC map in general, there are just some that aren't suited for tournaments. These include OC39, OC22, OC43, and all secret maps (and maybe TUTORIAL). Though with that being said, if we're going to do every map, does that mean we should go ahead and get our best times for each map?

RNG?

Yes, i agree with the list for the most part (some secret maps are fine), but dont forgot OC06, its the same deal as OC22.
I'd guess we just need the host (Skully) to stopwatch the time of each of us and post it.
Idk how to make the best of it.

March 06, 2015, 12:03:29 AM
Reply #12

Offline Trillster

• Time Lord

• what's a code

• View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 12:03:29 AM »
Here's just a short post but here's some other maps that Lobs suggested we ban, OC01, OC14, OC28, OC28Z, and OC24Z. Also RNG means Random Number Generator. Some maps have areas that are based off of randomness such as the OC39 (well, it's not completely luck but mostly).

March 06, 2015, 12:49:43 AM
Reply #13

Offline CDRom11_2007

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: July 07, 2013, 06:58:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 12:49:43 AM »
You know what, screw it. Sign me up!

March 06, 2015, 01:46:59 AM
Reply #14

Offline Lobsters

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 15, 2011, 04:23:19 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 01:46:59 AM »
WARNING LOBS POST PLS IGNORE. Damn I never post here. Anywho.

Well this is interesting. I'm NOT joining 1) Because I'm rusty as poop. 2) I'm meant to be in E-Hell filled with false angst. 3) Well everybody would brag about beating me.

Anyways: I hate to say but due to heavily experimental half-assery in OC  generally, for a proper PVP Halo Combat Evolved Race mode experience some maps outright should be banned. Here are the maps that stick out to me the most.

It can be debated OC01: Here's why there's semi-obnoxious backtracking you have to do to even complete the map. Since both the "Easy and hard paths" Both have to be completed. It's just a matter if you want to route a way to complete it fast. I'd suggest doing the hard segments first but who knows it could be faster doing easy first. Tutorial however IS very race capable since it has a smaller amount of the "Co-op" switches unlike OC01. It's just a matter if you want to ban scorch wheel in Tutorial really. TUTORIAL IS FASTER WITH SCORCH WHEEL. (Crusher section jump on the seal walk through mid-texture)

OC02: Depends if shortcut is allowed or not. Also Erecting a bonder. The maze segment is another part that makes it iffy really just find 2 pink or blue switches. Not sure which one is faster.

OC06: CAN BE Race capable if you try to pacifist run don't quite remember if you can make it at the end in pacifist mode or not. Also space couch anthem isn't removed just hit behind spawn with +use now lawl. If you can no longer pacifist run then ban it simply. It takes 20 minutes to do it even with 2 people killing the space couches. IF Pacifism is possible then sure. If not then ban.
By Pacifism: I mean the monsters are not yet triggered they just stand there. If you attack them you'll totally botch the whole thing.

OC07: I'd suggest only allowing one path. Either the hard way or easy way other than that it's pretty much doable.

OC09: Is it just saku only or all 3 (Sakugarne, Mega Ball, Tornado Hold)? It's another variable scenario.

OC10: It's only because it's so long. My fastest time IIRC was 6:19 or something like that. That was in 2013 still. That's my only reason to ban it. It's quite a simple map with some trolly segments for the sake of Rage Quitting. Not as bad as the later maps.

OC14: PLease no, Nobody should race this map period. The space couches get in the way even if you bypass them will get in the way eventually and that door switch timing is incredibly tight.

OC16: Monster map and a boss fight that takes eons so yeah instaban.

OC17: Eh, Devil eye time trial works but spawn points kinda fuck up routing a little bit.

OC18: Normally I'd rant about this map is just a secret fest, ironically it would be interesting to see it as a race map since it's so short.

OC21: I'm just iffy on this map in a time trial scenario.

OC22: BAN THE crap OUT OF THIS.

OC24: Ugh, It's just horrid. Getting all 7 switches fall you die. Same thing goes for OC24 Z. I can't remember if the water is less damaging in either one.

OC27: If I was racing I'd campaign to get this map banned. It's a preference thing. Then again if OC10 is allowed this should be as well... ahahahahahahahahaha right?

OC28 and OC28Z: HELL NO even with the troll path behind the spawn.

OC29: Ughhhhh ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............ What was this map again? OH YEAH SLOPE OF DEATH. Honestly I'd let this go, it's too much. 1x1 platforms, Momentum jumps. It depends on how hardcore you want to contest to go. I don't really believe anyone would defend Blossoms from getting banned.

OC30: I only say this because of the turrets getting in the way and trolling. OC17 is very doable and fun to race. OC30 just a slog fest of getting launched backwards over and over and blasting shit in the way.  

OC32: I think everyone would universally agree with me this, OC32 IS not a racing map. Backtracking, remembering a silly order of events. Takes usually 4-5 minutes to do.

OC33: It's really short. Up to you.

OC34: Well I just have a comment that since the map runs on a timer for the 3d floor platforms. It's race ok. Just be optimized. Even though it's not that hard to optimize at all.

OC35: Footrace 4 the worst footrace. I can just imagine someone getting salty over losing to the turboman tire segment.

OC37: Aside from the gravity shtick being annoying and THAT ONE STUPPPPIDDD JUMP. Totally doable.

OC38: Unlike 32 this is a doable yet very boring version of it. It's just a boring, uninspired (and that's saying a lot for OC) Fetch quest. Kinda fun to race in servers too.

OC39: 1) Ping 2) Hell Slope 3) Ice wall. As cool as the map is (pun not intended) I never found a consistent enough way to do the hell slope. It's a horrid map in an online scenario and I've completed OC09: Girls with 180 ping. Ice wally cream man I can barely do with even 80 Ping.

OC40: NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO.

OC42: It's boring but doable. Wink

OC43: For the arguably second hardest map in OC, next to the hilariously stupid Javier Race. I'd say for how much of a masterpiece it is of rectangles and texture soup and recolored texture soup. For the sanity ban this map.

Now secret maps.

OCEX01: Everybody participating should know how to do misery by now. Also I need to fix OC04's secret exit GOOD WORK ME. Then again Rcon exists.

OCEX02: Decimal is very race capable if you have the "skill" for it.

OCEX03: Very race capable since it's a backwards redo of my favorite oc map: OC04.

OCEX04: Dodge the quickbeams and laser busters and gemini lasers ahahahahahaha NO.

OCEX05: As much as everybody from what I know adores the ever living shit out of this map, It's too rng. Nothing like getting meteor'd on the second to last jump.

OCEX06: No comment. OC23 is great map to race. EX06 Not that much different except doing rails first instead of last.

OCEX07: The firetrap segment makes me nervous but I see no definite reason not to allow this map

OCEX08: Doors take 2 minutes to open. Yeah. PASS

OCEX09: NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

I think that's all of them. Also OC10's questions are different now but the pattern is still the same. I don't remember it myself. Back to being dead.

TL;DR lobs was here what an asshole. Good luck and pray Noxium doesn't join or else you lose. Unless it's Decimal.

TL;DR 2 Maps I approve without a doubt: Tutorial, OC00, OC01, OC02, OC03, OC04, OC05, OC07, OC08, OC09, OC11, OC12, OC13, OC15, OC17, OC18, OC19, OC20, OC23, OC25, OC26, OC31, OC33, OC34, OC36, OC37, OC38, OC42, OCEX01, EX02, EX03, EX06.

Also is SR50 allowed? I never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use SR50. Just curious really. Inb4 "U O-LEE WUN CUZ U DID DA ESSS ARRR FITTY"

- Lobsters