Advanced Search

Author Topic: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New forum software - Please bear with us!  (Read 29822 times)

August 07, 2016, 06:53:26 PM
Reply #45

Offline *Alice

• Standard Member

• summertime everywhere summertime in your hair
  • Date Registered: January 07, 2013, 11:56:48 PM

• View Profile
    • aliceif#4000
Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New forum software - Please bear with us!
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2016, 06:53:26 PM »
I had to turn the custom fields off temporarily because people were writing huge ones that were bleeding into the posts and that's no good. I'll see if I can bring it back later.

Maybe you could add something like
Code: [Select]
word-wrap: break-word;
to the CSS of whatever theme we end up using for that field of the side bar? That way we could also increase the limit again without any text intruding into the post area. (Makes you wonder why this theme doesn't have something that elementary to web design though ...)

August 07, 2016, 10:11:21 PM
Reply #46

Offline Zero1000

• Standard Member

• How did I do this?
  • Date Registered: October 08, 2014, 03:08:19 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2016, 10:11:21 PM »
I alredy got used to the new forums. I miss showing search results as topics, though.

August 08, 2016, 07:43:09 AM
Reply #47

Offline *Alice

• Standard Member

• View Profile
    • aliceif#4000
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2016, 07:43:09 AM »
Looks like text that was originally small on the old forums ended up being imported as big.

Kind of makes the tone of some old posts quite different, with things that were written in small now looking all shouty.

August 08, 2016, 09:48:41 AM
Reply #48

Offline *Alice

• Standard Member

• View Profile
    • aliceif#4000
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2016, 09:48:41 AM »
In some of my old PMs, ' got replaced by \'
Looks kinda ugly.

August 08, 2016, 10:33:54 AM
Reply #49

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2016, 10:33:54 AM »
If you want to have the forums somewhat resemble how they used to be, head to your profile/Look and Layout.
Under current theme, switch it to Core. After that, the third checkbox should be "Use sidebar menus instead of dropdown menus when possible." make sure to enable that.

It won't exactly resemble the old site, but it should help some people with mild to severe cases of nostalgia for it.

August 08, 2016, 05:38:01 PM
Reply #50

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
[11:25:13 PM] Korby: if you actually think the new forums sux you should probably voice those complaints somewhere mike can hear them

hi I'm complaining now

+ The custom title whatevers (e.g. stand-in for location) have really low character limits... but Korby's stretches to two lines just fine. Also you're not allowed to use apostrophes; everything after an apostrophe is deleted. Try setting your title to Now I'm mad! and watch it only render as Now I'.
+ I still have an intense hatred for the previous/next buttons and their behavior of shunting you to different topics.
+ Previously noted, the Search function seems to have its own rules separate from the rules it gives you, making finding posts incredibly luck-based.
+ Minor gripe, a lot of the board topics still have really weird formatting errors, like "Topics will expire after 3 weeks of inactivity." Probably a discrepancy between PHPBB formatting and the current formatting, but still worth a mention.
+ WHY DO THE CUTMAN EMOTES USE CHARACTER SUBSTITUTION NOW. I have to manually disable smileys every time I want to stick three question marks next to each other and it sucks. Also a lot of them don't even make sense; :geeky: is called "embarrassed" and marked by :-[, but :ugeek: is "lips sealed" and triggered by :-X... what?

[11:19:13 PM] Thunderono: rt the logout button is fucking massive and also nowhere near your profile
[11:19:36 PM] Capsule J: I remember the next page buttons being in the bottom right
[11:19:51 PM] Capsule J: so I was confused when I'd hit next and then go to a completely different topic
[11:19:59 PM] Thunderono: yeah that's hit me a few times

Most of my other gripes are actually a result of the default forum layout options sucking hardcore. A few checkboxes change things back to (almost) normal, but the default settings make everything backwards and not make any sense. (For example: why would you ever want to show all of your Private Messages from separate users and with separate topics back to back like they were a giant forum thread ???????) If possible, I'd suggest actually changing the default settings for new users / users who haven't signed in yet, just to make things easier to grasp for everybody.

It's getting there, but not quite yet.

August 08, 2016, 05:44:21 PM
Reply #51

Offline *Alice

• Standard Member

• View Profile
    • aliceif#4000
It's alright?
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2016, 05:44:21 PM »
everything after an apostrophe is deleted. Try setting your title to Now I'm mad! and watch it only render as Now I'.

Wow, that sounds like really bad coding.

EDIT: Where again?

August 08, 2016, 05:58:38 PM
Reply #52

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2016, 05:58:38 PM »
+ I still have an intense hatred for the previous/next buttons and their behavior of shunting you to different topics.

I already killed these buttons... unless you're using a different theme? I can do the same for that theme too I guess but originally I was going to kill off the other theme so I didn't have to keep tweaking each theme individually.

The fact everyone is so passionate about the custom text field actually triggers me (thank god I trained everyone to be ok with not having signatures from the beginning) but I will try to fix it.

Everything else I will look into. I still haven't created an index for the search. Not sure if that will fix searching but it that process will take a long time and give the server a bit of a beating.

August 08, 2016, 06:03:31 PM
Reply #53

Offline *Alice

• Standard Member

• View Profile
    • aliceif#4000
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2016, 06:03:31 PM »
The fact everyone is so passionate about the custom text field actually triggers me (thank god I trained everyone to be ok with not having signatures from the beginning) but I will try to fix it.

As I said earlier, you could just extend the theme's CSS to word-wrap all sidebar text properly. That should be adequate layout protection.

And wow, even the built-in old and ugly theme doesn't have overflow protection CSS. WTF kind of amateurs did that?

August 08, 2016, 06:12:13 PM
Reply #54

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2016, 06:12:13 PM »
I don't know. There's actually quite a few missing things that even basic phpbb boards have with no mods but I was recommended SMF by a few people so IT'S PROBABLY GOOD SOMEWHERE??

Edit: Fixed title length and should show correctly in the main theme. Also I'm not having the ' problem?

August 08, 2016, 06:35:38 PM
Reply #55

Offline *Alice

• Standard Member

• View Profile
    • aliceif#4000
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2016, 06:35:38 PM »
Edit: Fixed title length and should show correctly in the main theme. Also I'm not having the ' problem?
Nice, thanks!

August 08, 2016, 06:47:29 PM
Reply #56

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2016, 06:47:29 PM »
neat, apostrophes were fixed (SOMEHOW???)
and yeah I was using a different theme; changed back to BlueBird and whoa that's a nice Cutstuff logo there

thanks a ton

August 08, 2016, 07:00:51 PM
Reply #57

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2016, 07:00:51 PM »
Added the fixes to the Core theme. rip in pepperoni next and previous topic buttons. Also added the << and >> page buttons since they were also missing.

Also fixed smiley codes, they should be the same as the old ones but with the addition of the ultra sexy  :-*

August 08, 2016, 07:20:51 PM
Reply #58

Offline Myroc

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Tyst! Jag ser på TV!
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 08:35:35 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2016, 07:20:51 PM »
+ WHY DO THE CUTMAN EMOTES USE CHARACTER SUBSTITUTION NOW. I have to manually disable smileys every time I want to stick three question marks next to each other and it sucks. Also a lot of them don't even make sense; :geeky: is called "embarrassed" and marked by :-[, but :ugeek: is "lips sealed" and triggered by :-X... what?
SMF forums have a default set of smileys that, to my knowledge, you can't change, so Mike just substituted them with the ones he already had. This is also the reason why there is now a kiss smiley (he had to make one so there weren't 15 cutsmileys and an ugly default one). As far as I'm aware smileys always used character substitution in the old forum too, the only difference being it now replaces ":-X" instead of :"ugeek:".

Nevermind, Mike is a fucking ninja.

August 08, 2016, 08:45:30 PM
Reply #59

Offline Joseph Collins

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Lv. 33 Pogo Fan
  • Date Registered: October 09, 2010, 04:47:35 AM

• View Profile
    • http://josephlithius.tumblr.com
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2016, 08:45:30 PM »
Quote from: CutmanMike's custom text field
If anyone else complains about text limits I'
I can't tell if you did that on-purpose or you're just being a smart-aleck.  But it's hilarious seeing that either way.

(I'm using the default theme, if that helps.)