Advanced Search

Author Topic: Games that you dislike that everyone else likes.  (Read 31195 times)

August 10, 2012, 01:25:46 AM
Reply #120

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 31, 2011, 10:37:33 PM

• View Profile
Re: Games that you dislike that everyone else likes.
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2012, 01:25:46 AM »
Quote from: "watzup7856"
not that i hate the series, but i just cant get into the Zelda series, i've played ALttP, TP, OoT, and WW, and i dont feel motivated enough to play them

I know what you mean. My friend LOVES Legend of Zelda, so I decided to try out OoT. Don't get me wrong, Legend of Zelda is a good series, but something about OoT kind of repelled me.

August 10, 2012, 05:52:05 PM
Reply #121

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2012, 05:52:05 PM »
I never did understand why the Zelda fan base has a collective boner over Ocarina of Time. Sure, the game was great for its time, and compared to several other games of the period it's stood up well against the test of time even without Nostalgia Glasses, but is it the BEST game? Honestly, I sincerely doubt it. Sure, some parts of OoT were pretty great (inside Jabu-Jabu, breaking out of the ranch with Epona, whoever composed Bolero of Fire) but others just felt rusty (Forest Temple's gimmick, the desert scene where you have to follow the flags, the fishing minigame) or annoying (Navi telling you things from the beginning of the game just before you go to fight Ganon, THE WATER TEMPLE).

If it wasn't for the part of the game where you have to fish up the Triforce and go pay Tingle obscene amounts of Rupees, my favorite game would be The Wind Waker. Sure, the island-hopping mechanic might have turned off a few people, but I rather enjoyed it. It made the different areas feel more diverse and fresh, and though a few islands were somewhat useless, most areas had their own event or town or what-have-you that made revisits worth the trip.

August 10, 2012, 07:11:15 PM
Reply #122

Offline BiscuitSlash

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 12:49:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2012, 07:11:15 PM »
Quote from: "SmashBroPlusB"
whoever composed Bolero of Fire
Nocturne of Shadow. Whoever composed that one deserves a whole bucket of biscuits. I usually play that one at the same speed as the game does because of how baus it is.

If there's certain game that I somewhat dislike....I'm beginning to turn towards modern mario games. And as someone who's been a really big fan of them for many years, that should say something about it. It's the lack of difficulty. As a challenge seeker in gaming, they simply don't satisfy that need at all anymore. It only too me a few months to beat Super Mario Land 3D and Mario Kart 7 100%, and now there's pretty much nothing to do on those games, leaving me with only SF643D to play. I'm probably going to pass on New Super Mario Bros. 2 because I just KNOW it will be way too easy for me.

It was Super Mario Galaxy 2 onwards when I realized the above. Plz nintendo, take challenge seekers gamers into account.

August 14, 2012, 10:39:47 PM
Reply #123

Offline Mango

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 20, 2010, 06:13:27 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2012, 10:39:47 PM »
I adore the Zelda series but I agree with Smash. Ocarina of Time isn't that great at all. I don't get why most Zelda fans claim it's hands down better than any other Zelda game out there. Or that it's the best game EVER.
Ocarina of Time is at the bottom of my list, honestly. Right under Wand of Gamelon.

Anyway, on topic: Final Fantasy 7 and League of Legends
Having played through FF7, I didn't get sucked in at all. I was bored the entire time.

I just don't like the community of LoL. And I kinda think it's boring too.

August 15, 2012, 01:26:47 AM
Reply #124

Offline xColdxFusionx

• MM8BDM MM&B Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 02, 2011, 01:07:17 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2012, 01:26:47 AM »
I'm going to go the obvious route and say:

Call of Duty.

The entire. freaking. series.

There's effectively 5 weapons with various slightly-altered stat layouts, the gameplay is incredibly straightforward, and anything more complex than "go to area X, point cursor at enemy, push button" is practically nonexistent.

And every couple of versions they throw in a co-op "vs. Zombies" mode with a couple gimmicks that are only there to attempt to make the "go to area X, point cursor at enemy, push button" slightly more interesting.

August 15, 2012, 01:31:36 AM
Reply #125

Offline Red

• Standard Member

• man is the animal
  • Date Registered: March 13, 2011, 02:47:45 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2012, 01:31:36 AM »
Well i liked CoD Finest hour

:<

August 15, 2012, 01:44:13 AM
Reply #126

Offline xColdxFusionx

• MM8BDM MM&B Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 02, 2011, 01:07:17 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2012, 01:44:13 AM »
Sorry, I probably should have specified:

The modern Call of Duty games are what tick me off the most.
I don't quite have as much experience with the older ones.

Also, I should probably say some games that aren't CoD since modern CoD seems to be unanimously hated here:
> Starcraft II. I like everything about it... except the fact that your worker spawn flow being off by one second means instant death. Seriously, game designers?
> Street Fighter (specifically, Street Fighter IV). I shouldn't have to train for five hours straight just to get a simple three-move combo down. Especially when the only thing keeping me from said combo is the fact that the moves don't combo that way, despite the game telling me they do.

August 15, 2012, 01:46:26 AM
Reply #127

Offline Tengu

• Donator

• the frogs are gay
  • Date Registered: May 17, 2011, 12:36:35 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2012, 01:46:26 AM »
One set of games I really can't stand is Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

No, it's not because the games are hard. I like a good challenge.

It's because the game (Demon's particularly) is about unfair challenges. An enemy is stronger than you, so it kills you. You know what happens when you die on that game? THE ENEMIES GAIN POWER.

How am I supposed to get better at it when they enemies keep powering up. Sheesh. Other than that, the games really just bore me.

August 16, 2012, 01:52:27 AM
Reply #128

Knux

« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2012, 01:52:27 AM »
Yu-Gi-Oh, Magic the Gathering, Dungeons and Dragons... I really don't see how people can like that stuff. I also never owned any Final Fantasy game because I think they look too complicated, although I enjoy seeing people play it and I once played a little of VII. It was kinda nice, but that was back in 2000.

Maybe I should try out one someday.

August 16, 2012, 03:37:49 AM
Reply #129

Offline Sora

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor
  • Date Registered: April 22, 2011, 06:23:08 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2012, 03:37:49 AM »
You shouldI'll just be putting any animal-pet simulator other than Nintendogs and KH3DS and be on my way~

August 18, 2012, 04:05:01 PM
Reply #130

Offline Outragous

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 18, 2012, 12:23:44 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2012, 04:05:01 PM »
I disliked all CoD's except for CoD 2.

August 19, 2012, 03:50:13 AM
Reply #131

Offline Mr. X

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 07:05:48 PM

• View Profile
    • http://mrxsrr.blogspot.com
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2012, 03:50:13 AM »
Quote from: "SmashBroPlusB"
I never did understand why the Zelda fan base has a collective boner over Ocarina of Time. Sure, the game was great for its time, and compared to several other games of the period it's stood up well against the test of time even without Nostalgia Glasses, but is it the BEST game? Honestly, I sincerely doubt it. Sure, some parts of OoT were pretty great (inside Jabu-Jabu, breaking out of the ranch with Epona, whoever composed Bolero of Fire) but others just felt rusty (Forest Temple's gimmick, the desert scene where you have to follow the flags, the fishing minigame) or annoying (Navi telling you things from the beginning of the game just before you go to fight Ganon, THE WATER TEMPLE).

I know I'm digging this up a bit, but I didn't really see it until now.  Let me just say that Ocarina of Time (3D) is my personal favorite Zelda game, and I know it's not with nostalgia goggles because, well, I never really played the game through until last year.  Why do I think it's the best?  Simple: It's the only 3D Zelda game with no flaws that are severe enough for me to stop playing the game out of annoyance/boredom.

Majora's Mask is my least favorite 3D Zelda (and qualifies for me for this topic as I honestly can say I really don't like it) due to collection crap like the Zora Eggs and that it basically forces you to do long drawn out side quests to get anywhere halfway decently in the main story (it's not a SIDE quest if you're basically forced to do it).  I don't like this because I tend to use side quests as a way to continue the game after I beat the main story.  Speaking of side quests, the whole time thing ends up being more of a problem than a blessing with many of the quests.  While I like the idea of having side quests that have alternate endings, they don't take the idea far enough.  For example, with the Anju and Kafei thing, you basically have to do the entire thing twice because there's a letter at the very end that you have to deliver to two separate people.  Instead of a slight shift near the very end, why not have alternate paths through the quest that radically change it?  Also, the dungeons are probably the worst in the series.  ESPECIALLY Great Bay Temple which I will go to my grave saying is worse than the Water Temple.

Wind Waker has a much better time...until you hit the Triforce Hunt.  Really, what more needs to be said?

Twilight Princess just drags horrendously until about the 4th dungeon.  After that, it's pretty awesome.

Skyward Sword has the same collection crap as Majora's Mask, only 50 times worse.  HOWEVER, I still like it better because the side quests aren't as important and the dungeons are far and beyond the best in the series.

Ocarina has none of these critical flaws.  BUT BUT BUT WATER TEMPLE!  I agree, it's kind of lame, but it still doesn't take THAT much longer than the other temples.

August 19, 2012, 04:44:36 AM
Reply #132

Offline Tengu

• Donator

• the frogs are gay
  • Date Registered: May 17, 2011, 12:36:35 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2012, 04:44:36 AM »
Quote from: "Mr. X"
BUT BUT BUT WATER TEMPLE!  I agree, it's kind of lame, but it still doesn't take THAT much longer than the other temples.

Completely fixed in the 3DS rendition. No more of that annoying, constant pausing of the game to put the Iron Boots on. It hacks off a lot of the time.

August 19, 2012, 05:34:48 AM
Reply #133

Offline Mr. X

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 07:05:48 PM

• View Profile
    • http://mrxsrr.blogspot.com
« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2012, 05:34:48 AM »
I wouldn't say completely:  part of the dungeon's problem is that it puts locked doors at the end of annoying rooms.  Since the dungeon is ridiculously unlinear (in this case, a bad thing), I'd often find myself taking a few minutes to traverse a room, get to a locked door, swear, and then take a few minutes going back through said room so I can get the key to go back through said room YET AGAIN to continue the dungeon.

August 19, 2012, 10:08:36 AM
Reply #134

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2012, 10:08:36 AM »
Personally, I didn't mind the tedious application and removal of the Iron Boots. The hardest part was underwater combat, hands down. I wanted to punch something every time I ended up in a room or a hallway with an enemy, knowing the only way to defeat it was with the damnable Hookshot.

Other than that, the Water Temple wasn't all that bad.