Advanced Search

Author Topic: Petition to bring back original MM1FIR  (Read 5663 times)

May 19, 2014, 11:35:53 PM
Reply #15

Offline Blaze Yeager

• MM8BDM Extender

• Retired, but still kicking.
  • Date Registered: March 14, 2010, 01:17:23 AM

• View Profile
Re: Petition to bring back original MM1FIR
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 11:35:53 PM »

I'm more fond of the newer version of the map. It flows so much more better than the older map. I like it more because of the size boding well to me when I'm in a match against someone. Plus as said earlier there IS the legacy pack for a reason.

May 19, 2014, 11:58:54 PM
Reply #16

Offline Geno

• MM8BDM Extender

• ❤ ❤ ❤
  • Date Registered: March 31, 2012, 10:07:28 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 11:58:54 PM »
Okay, I went back to play old MM1FIR thanks to LEGACY PACK, ever heard of that thing?

Anyway, I found the old one to be super cramped, and waaay worse than I remembered.
There was pretty much no room for DODGING ATTACKS and JUMPING, which, I don't know about you guys, but those are two VERY important parts of this game that make it NOT fun if the ability to do those is taken away.

So my opinion's basically the same, keep the new one. Maybe it's just that I'm a little claustrophobic, but the cramped corridors of the old one + the dead ends of the old one + ATOMIC FIRE AND WATER BALLOON makes the new MM1FIR a VAST improvement over the old one IN MY OPINION.

Again, this is all IN MY OPINION. I am NOT trying to say that your opinion is WRONG unlike some people, I am just stating MY OPINION, and ONLY that.

May 20, 2014, 12:03:55 AM
Reply #17

Offline Spikeboy

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: May 30, 2011, 12:24:54 AM

• View Profile
    • ^:D
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 12:03:55 AM »
Quote from: "Spikeboy"
Also, has the Legacy Pack ever been hosted?

?
Also before someone says "Host it yourself", I'm pretty sure I can't (been banned from BE for something, can't port forward)
its ok if you lik the new map tho!!!! nothing against you guys

May 20, 2014, 12:13:28 AM
Reply #18

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 26, 2010, 01:51:13 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 12:13:28 AM »
It's not so much that the new map is "better", it's the principle that the old Fireman did NOT need a redo in the slightest. It was not highly complained about, and was a favorite among players who enjoyed tense games.

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

May 20, 2014, 12:24:51 AM
Reply #19

Offline Laggy Blazko

• MM8BDM Extender

• Unf
  • Date Registered: April 01, 2011, 02:08:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 12:24:51 AM »
Quote from: "Geno"
There was pretty much no room for DODGING ATTACKS and JUMPING, which, I don't know about you guys, but those are two VERY important parts of this game that make it NOT fun if the ability to do those is taken away.
Have you tried "cover"? *rolls away*

May 20, 2014, 01:40:12 PM
Reply #20

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 01:40:12 PM »
I think that the principle behind remaking MM1FIR should've been the same as for MM1CUT: a side-expansion. The original layout was ok, it was the navigable space combined with the weapon selection that made the old map uncomfortable for some, myself included. It was too of a small map for big fights, and a really good map for reduced fights. But such is the folly of big maps vs. small maps.

If I were to have a choice, I would just make a wider MM1FIR map like the current one, but based on the old layout. I am not in favor of bringing the old MM1FIR map back (which based on its proponents sounds more like a cry of nostalgic revenge) or giving the new MM1FIR map any flack (because the map itself does not deserve it): both maps are good, but the abrupt change was uncalled for, and I'd like to keep the best of both worlds. Old MM1FIR map was small and tight, forced people to take hits because of its reduced space, and the weapon selection plus the geography of the map made it too much of a cake walk to get frags? YEAH, I GET IT. Then just make it wider, update its look, fix the flaws...don't make an entirely new map, seems like a huge amount of effort for something that didn't need so. Improve the good old layout, not make a new layout.

If we're talking cover, old MM1FIR had none, unless by cover you mean "hiding on opposite ends of a hallway, behind the corners". I'll tell you what cover is: pre-v3 MM1DW2 underwater caves. Mind you, the spacing was atrocious, but it's a good example of a small corridor having proper cover that allowed both traversing and fighting IN it.

May 20, 2014, 01:48:45 PM
Reply #21

Offline Myroc

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Tyst! Jag ser på TV!
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 08:35:35 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 01:48:45 PM »
*shrug*

I am honestly indifferent to this. I think both maps are perfectly fine, and I don't really care which one remains in the core.

A thought strikes me though. The old map's usage of fire traps was incredibly light and had very little impact on the map itself, something which I feel is an improvement with the new map. (Not that gimmicks for the sake of gimmicks is any good, that was one of the first lessons I learned while making Powered Up, but the new map makes good use of them without being intrusive.) It's possible that we can remove the fire traps from the old layout and repurpose it for another core map entirely in a future expansion. (Failing that, just slap it in a map pack and call it a day. It's not like server hosts are unwilling to use those.)