Advanced Search

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Intrusive Stair Ceilings in MM5DAR  (Read 2718 times)

June 10, 2015, 02:31:07 AM
Read 2718 times

Knux

[Suggestion] Intrusive Stair Ceilings in MM5DAR
« on: June 10, 2015, 02:31:07 AM »
The ceilings above the following staircases cause players to bump into them and stop abruptly at normal speed, which can potentially disrupt escaping from or chasing an opponent.
(click to show/hide)
MM5DAR has had this issue since version 1, and it's about time it got rectified. My suggestion is to simply raise the ceilings enough, keeping the aesthetics but getting rid of it as an obstacle.

June 10, 2015, 02:38:37 AM
Reply #1

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
Re: [Suggestion] Intrusive Stair Ceilings in MM5DAR
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 02:38:37 AM »
I raise the counter-argument that those stairs being intrusive is a good thing for the map, as it's already very easy to avoid and get away from an opponent, having a way for someone who's not playing carefully and actively thinking about their route get overtaken by pursuers is a good thing.

For example, you could just drop down to the flat area by Power Stone instead of going to one of those staircases, or hopping down to Mega Ball if you were already by that area and have a choice of going up to Crash Bomb.

You could also not strafe run down the stairs which avoids the ceilings altogether.

June 10, 2015, 04:01:23 AM
Reply #2

Knux

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 04:01:23 AM »
That's assuming that the area above will always be free of opponents, which is pretty wishful thinking. By your logic, I could say that players should always consistently grab the Time Slow in the map to surely prevent opponents from getting away, and yet the fact remains that they can fight back and even kill the Time Slow user.

Going down through the opening in front of Gravity Hold's platform is just one exit. As far as I'm concerned, one of the golden rules in deathmatch maps is to have more than one way out of an area, something which these stairs don't accomplish properly. You'd be surprised by how much these staircases get used even in Duel, and there's a good reason for that.

From a Deathmatch/Duel perspective, we have Gyro Attack, Water/Ice Wave and Power Stone, all of which you don't want to get close to and that can cover a lot of ground efficiently in the top area. We also get Crystal Eye, Napalm Bomb, Star Crash, Crash Bomb and Knight Crush, all of which can easily screw over a player bumping into the staircases.
Quote from: "Korby"
You could also not strafe run down the stairs which avoids the ceilings altogether.
I was pretty sure I was running straight at normal speed and still bumping into them, but upon checking again, it turned out I was wrong. Even so, straferunning is a very common thing used in all modes (especially Duel where weapon placements are a thing), so I hope this suggestion is reconsidered. We've both pointed out possible outcomes of a match so far, but the most likely one in MM5DAR so far is bumping into those stair ceilings, and it most certainly isn't good when it does happen when trying to get away.

June 10, 2015, 05:45:07 AM
Reply #3

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: December 22, 2010, 10:43:54 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 05:45:07 AM »
I would also like to point out I have never got stuck here in my life.
I didn't even know you could.

EDIT: I just ran down a bunch of stairs. It slightly slows you down I guess if you strafe run on the first two, but normal walking doesn't block you ever.
And that last staircase didn't' slow me down either way. And the blocking it doesn't even stop you for a full second if you're strafe running.

May 28, 2016, 07:42:27 PM
Reply #4

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 07:42:27 PM »
Gonna just bring this up from the grave to state that I'm opposed to this change as it only seems to apply when strafe running or doing something faster. They could potentially serve as a retroactive design choice for the map as they help to reduce the player's pace slightly and bring more to the table as to the choice of fight or flight.

If anyone else has any opinions on the matter, it would be dandy.

May 28, 2016, 09:12:17 PM
Reply #5

Knux

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 09:12:17 PM »
Quote from: "Lego"
They could potentially serve as a retroactive design choice for the map as they help to reduce the player's pace slightly and bring more to the table as to the choice of fight or flight.
In retrospect, I agree with this. We have this huge opening in the middle which is already a lot better for escaping anyway, and going through the sides being slower makes sense as the flow of the structure would feel a bit monotonous otherwise.

I honestly don't remember why the logic behind my suggestion was any good, soooo... just reject?