Advanced Search

Author Topic: Suggestion: change the stats to be more like the real games  (Read 3965 times)

August 14, 2015, 01:55:37 PM
Read 3965 times

Offline andreasaspenberg

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 12, 2013, 08:19:18 PM

• View Profile
Suggestion: change the stats to be more like the real games
« on: August 14, 2015, 01:55:37 PM »
my suggestion is to change weapon stats to do less damage for some weapons while consuming less ammunition for weapons like metal blade and other weapons that in the real games used 1 point for 3 shots. as it currently is the weapons are so powerful that it does not feel like megaman. it feels more like hexen but without armor. i also think that armor should be added in a way similar to doom, which i believe is similar to how it works in the megaman games, except that the megaman armors never breaks. a bit more on my ideas: charged atomic fire=reduce health to half, kills if already at half.(the target that is.) rain flush=costs 4 weapon energy and does 4 damage. that is just my ideas. please do not reject this right away as i will be away for a while without internet connection and as such i can not respond until 23 norwegian time.

August 14, 2015, 03:54:26 PM
Reply #1

Offline King Dumb

• Global Moderator
  • Date Registered: March 08, 2011, 02:56:25 AM

• View Profile
Re: Suggestion: change the stats to be more like the real ga
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 03:54:26 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion! We have gotten similar suggestions in the past. Let me see if I can explain to you some of the problems with your suggestions!

Unfortunately, while some of these changes may be strictly closer to canon, in practice they simply don't work for MM8BDM, for a number of reasons. Perhaps the biggest of these reasons is that in a 3D environment, landing hits with projectiles becomes a lot more difficult than it is in a 2D environment (the Mega Man games). We have to keep this in mind when we transfer over weapons from the 2D games to our 3D games. For example, area-of-effect weapons like Rain Flush remove the need to aim in a 3D environment, so we need to take that into account when we balance the weapon's damage and ammo usage. In this vein, reducing damage to real game levels would make playing MM8BDM far too frustrating, as actually fragging opponents would take far too long (especially with our current health system); you have to put in the effort to aim Metal Blade in a 3D environment (already one of the more difficult weapons to land consistently), and when you do so you only deal 4 damage? That will get very unappealing very fast.

Reducing damage and ammo usage to be in line with the 2D games would also cause a whole slew of balance and design problems, because the real games only have to differentiate between their 8 or so weapons. MM8BDM currently has weapons from MM1-8, MMB... currently 82 weapons that need to all be different enough from each other, so that they're distinct. Each Mega Man platformer has much less concern about making weapons similar to other Mega Man platformers, because they'll never be used at the same time. So if we tried to change our numbers to be like the real games, we'd encounter a lot of issues such as "This weapon and that weapon are exactly the same!" or "This weapon is a better version of that weapons!".

So, it's not really possible to make the weapons feel like Mega Man by using the exact values from the real games. We have to compromise, and make weapons that are based on the real games and try to achieve the same themes, but that also fit into an arena shooter like MM8BDM.

August 14, 2015, 10:07:16 PM
Reply #2

Offline andreasaspenberg

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 10:07:16 PM »
rain flush could be changed to to feel like the real games by finding out how many uses it have and then port that. doom have an auto-aim function and that could be used to make it easier to aim. the weapons are already too similar(in megaman 8 bit death match). time stopper and flash stopper for example. (in megaman 4 the flash stopper stopped time while enabling the megabuster.) in any case you should improve the game by making the weapons weaker(what about cutting damage in half) and add armor. adding armor will add more tactics to the game.

August 14, 2015, 10:39:43 PM
Reply #3

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 10:39:43 PM »
I'm not sure how Time Stopper and Flash Stopper are similar in 8-bit Deathmatch when their functions aren't even remotely similar.
Time Stopper freezes time for an amount of time, and Flash Stopper deals damage and blinds people in a radius.

August 14, 2015, 11:05:06 PM
Reply #4

Offline andreasaspenberg

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 11:05:06 PM »
i have tested both of them in megaman 8 bit deathmatch and they both do damage.

August 14, 2015, 11:30:10 PM
Reply #5

Offline Trillster

• Time Lord

• what's a code
  • Date Registered: July 18, 2014, 08:42:32 PM

• View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 11:30:10 PM »
Just going to throw my two cents in here, and say that Time Stopper doesn't do damage at all, neither in MM8BDM or Mega Man 2 (except against Quick Man) and the idea of making weapons weaker AND adding armor just sounds painful to me as certain weapons can already be a drag trying to kill with and just making them weaker sounds no fun at all.

August 15, 2015, 08:19:50 PM
Reply #6

Offline andreasaspenberg

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 08:19:50 PM »
the weapons that is difficult to do damage with should possibly get better while some weapons like wave burner does not need any changes. some weapons can one hit kill if used correctly and that is just wrong. certain weapons should also get alternate fire like the crash bombs for example.(alternate fire drops a bomb on the ground.) the megabuster is a bit too strong perhaps. armor is present in certain megaman games and as such it should be present here as well.(maybe just in the levels based on games that have armor.)

August 15, 2015, 08:42:52 PM
Reply #7

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 26, 2010, 01:51:13 AM

• View Profile
Goddamn phone keyboards
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 08:42:52 PM »
Cmon dude this is an fps, not a 2d platformer. Stop thinking in the context of megaman and start thinking in the context if an arena shooter. If everything did 5 dmg this game would be even less fun than it currently is.

August 15, 2015, 09:04:52 PM
Reply #8

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss
  • Date Registered: December 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://fandedication.4umer.com/
it's a 10 hit kill, man. 10 hits.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 09:04:52 PM »
I don't know if you've been listening to what KD said but there's a good reason why the weapons aren't carbon-copied from the 2D games and they're not going to change it to--

Quote from: "andreasaspenberg"
the megabuster is a bit too strong
(click to show/hide)

but yeah, in a nutshell your suggestions are only going to make games, especially Deathmatches and the like, drag on for an eternity. People have to die at some point. Lowering damage and increasing armor is a really, really bad idea. You'd be lucky to even do 5 damage with most weapons! And when people generally have 100 HP, and health and E-tanks are almost always available in non LMS games, people will essentially be living forever. There will almost never be any other conclusion to a battle than people getting bored and quitting.

August 15, 2015, 09:43:15 PM
Reply #9

Offline andreasaspenberg

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 09:43:15 PM »
people are already bored of the game. people stopped joining my servers years ago. the results is at the moment too random.(pros easily getting killed by noobs for example.) skills need to matter more. placing armors in the levels will make skills more important. another possibility would be to add heart tanks like the megaman x games have.

August 15, 2015, 09:46:48 PM
Reply #10

Knux

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 09:46:48 PM »
Your servers aren't the only place to play the game, and if you looked at BE servers, you'd see exactly why that is.

August 15, 2015, 09:48:18 PM
Reply #11

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss
  • Date Registered: December 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://fandedication.4umer.com/
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 09:48:18 PM »
okay now this sounds more like something for a singleplayer mod.

Quote from: "andreasaspenberg"
people are already bored of the game. people stopped joining my servers years ago.

and this has got to be the most presumptuous thing I've heard all week. You're not the only person hosting; Other servers exist. I see people playing something just about every day.

August 15, 2015, 11:15:04 PM
Reply #12

Offline andreasaspenberg

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 11:15:04 PM »
in any case, i have played the game a lot but in comes a person with no experience and frags me twice. other inexperienced players have also done well.

August 16, 2015, 12:55:21 AM
Reply #13

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 12:55:21 AM »
You aren't even making sense any more. Plenty of people already gave you sound counter-arguments to why your idea will not improve gameplay. Making weapons deal less damage and having armor isn't going to make the game more skillful, it's just going to butcher the game balance to hell and back. Do you honestly think if your idea was viable, Mike would have done just this all the way back in v1a? Fact of the matter is he didn't because it sucked from a gameplay standpoint.

Seeing as you aren't really making any compelling arguments, thread locked on top of being rejected.