Advanced Search

Author Topic: Adding or installing mods/classes or other content  (Read 10278 times)

October 21, 2014, 09:45:32 PM
Read 10278 times

Offline mightyman

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 21, 2014, 09:34:58 PM

• View Profile
Adding or installing mods/classes or other content
« on: October 21, 2014, 09:45:32 PM »
Ive really been wondering on how to add mods/classes to this game and I have no idea. The one Im mostly interested in adding is the robot master classes where each get their own original classes as well as their taunts and skin color. If there is a link to any instructions on installing this mod, can I please have it. Thanks!

October 21, 2014, 10:14:03 PM
Reply #1

Offline King Dumb

• Global Moderator
  • Date Registered: March 08, 2011, 02:56:25 AM

• View Profile
Re: Adding or installing mods/classes or other content
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 10:14:03 PM »
Welcome to the forums! I hope I can help you get in on all the interesting action ASAP.

Here is a somewhat outdated guide about lots of different mods available on Cutstuff.

You'll here mods and other add-on content referred to as 'wads' or 'pk3s' a lot because those are the file formats that these add-ons are created as.

While the above guide is somewhat outdated in its listing of add-on content, its explanation at the beginning about how to add these files is correct (assuming you are using the MM8BDM.exe launcher that comes with the game download.)

As for finding these add-ons or wads, the above thread also has links to a lot of them. If you're interested in Robot Master classes, you actually have two choices!

Here is the RM classes mod referred to as Class Based Modification. You'd just need the v7c download if you're playing offline.

And here is a different RM classes mod, referred to as Justified Classes.

Both of the above threads contain download links to the files you will add according to the tutorial I linked at the beginning. Which of these you use is up to you; both of them have classes for all RMs through Mega Man 8. Class Based Modification includes some MM9 RMs, while Justified Classes has Stardroids and MMB. And in both versions identical Robot Masters vary widely! (Bear in mind that these two mods are not compatible with each other, so you can't play them both at the same time.)

As for other content you can download as wads or pk3s and play with, look no further than the Projects subforum of Cutstuff! Among this subforum (and its own subforums), you'll find maps, map packs, custom weapons, and other game modes. Bear in mind, that custom weapon [packs] and game modes will likely be incompatible with one another, and these types of content should always be added last to you game session with the 'Add File' button. Always add maps and map packs first, if you're using any.

Hopefully I helped out a bit, let me/us know here if you have any questions or problems at all.

October 21, 2014, 10:19:07 PM
Reply #2

Offline Laggy Blazko

• MM8BDM Extender

• Unf
  • Date Registered: April 01, 2011, 02:08:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 10:19:07 PM »
When you download a mod it's either a "WAD" or a "PK3" file (not sure if there are PK7 files for 8bdm). I'd suggest to put it in the mm8bdm folder. To play it, open the launcher (mm8bdm.exe), press the "add file" button and select the mod file. You can select many files, as sometimes (but not always) they're compatible. To play those mods in multiplayer, use Doomseeker or IDE.
Dagnabbit, ninja'd.

September 13, 2018, 01:53:10 AM
Reply #3

Mystic Tortoise

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 01:53:10 AM »
I have a  problem. I try to play the class based modificaton mod, but it doesn't work. I do the add file thing and put it in the skins folder like the website says, but no luck. All i get is a custom title but no classes or anything. need help!  :(

September 15, 2018, 01:06:48 AM
Reply #4

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 01:06:48 AM »
http://static.allfearthesentinel.net/wads/classes-v9ch.pk3
This is the current latest version of classes.
Save it into wherever you keep your wads for the game, but don't put it in the skins folder.
Then, either set up your doomseeker to point to your wads folder [Learn how here: http://cutstuff.net/forum/index.php?topic=728.0 ] or add the file through the launcher's Add File button.
From there, join a server with it loaded or start the game through the launcher and you will be able to play with classes.