Advanced Search

Author Topic: Original DOS Completion Project - Off Hiatus  (Read 25625 times)

March 18, 2016, 08:26:58 PM
Reply #15

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
Re: Original DOS Completion Project
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 08:26:58 PM »
Ok, they are showing up for me now, guess I just needed to give it a few hours.

March 22, 2016, 09:46:04 PM
Reply #16

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 09:46:04 PM »
Ok, I have decided on the first map that will be worked on, though not sure when I will begin working on it as of yet.
-=Volt Man=-
Some notes I want to add about plans for the map
Volt Man's stage is seemingly based on a Hydro-Electric Plant, water usage will be purely visual for out of play areas.
As for the gimmick of the turbines and generators will be present, though at a MUCH weaker scale  as they are in the source stage, minor push and pull will simply quicken or slow movement speed slightly. Smaller outdoor section is intended using a few generators pushing from themselves while turbines indoors will be pulling nearby players to them. Pathways or higher end weapons/items are intended to be near these to have them work alongside the flow or "risk vs reward" trying to get items as close range weapons are going to be a primary focus of the map, using the pushing and pulling effects will help close in on players or escape those hunting you. Examples (for risk-reward): "I am low on health, and if I go after that big health here next to the turbine, someone might come at me with slash claw as I'm trying to get out." Or "I can hit that guy in there with slash claw, but I might get gunned down by a yamato spear trying to get back."

March 23, 2016, 04:05:21 AM
Reply #17

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something
  • Date Registered: October 29, 2012, 03:32:09 AM

• View Profile
    • http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 04:05:21 AM »
As much as I want to see the revised version get completed, this one looks great for being more authentic to the original DOS games.
Hopefully this time around we'll get better maps than the older DOS pack.

March 23, 2016, 04:25:15 AM
Reply #18

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 04:25:15 AM »
Quote from: "Superjustinbros"
As much as I want to see the revised version get completed, this one looks great for being more authentic to the original DOS games.
Hopefully this time around we'll get better maps than the older DOS pack.
I very much want to see the revision get complete as well, as it should be at the rate it is going, hence I advertised it in the first post.
As for the better maps, most of those were my maps anyway, and Dyna and Wily are the only 2 remaining the same from it, so I am learning from my mistakes and holding onto the good parts of the maps to make sure I can produce better products then I had like, 2 years ago.

March 24, 2016, 12:05:06 AM
Reply #19

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 12:05:06 AM »
That's good. Maybe then we won't get an Oil Man map split up into segments and a Shark Man map that isn't completely surrounded by coral.

March 24, 2016, 01:13:01 AM
Reply #20

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2016, 01:13:01 AM »
Quote from: "Superjustinbros"
That's good. Maybe then we won't get an Oil Man map split up into segments and a Shark Man map that isn't completely surrounded by coral.
The not split Oil is something I intended. The Coral for Shark was to show the boundaries (which is exactly where it was used in the stage) instead of having the huge wide open walls like Dive, so will be harder to NOT have that, kinda like the sides along Bubble's map. But we will see what I come up with when I get to it.

March 24, 2016, 01:08:44 PM
Reply #21

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2016, 01:08:44 PM »
Just set the horizon beyond the playable area at a lower elevation, with a darker   floor texture for clear contrast. It would look significantly better and do away with clarity concerns.

March 24, 2016, 07:57:20 PM
Reply #22

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 07:57:20 PM »
Quote from: "Gumballtoid"
Just set the horizon beyond the playable area at a lower elevation, with a darker   floor texture for clear contrast. It would look significantly better and do away with clarity concerns.
Yea, thats what Dive does, but the low gravity it can be tricky telling where it is while jumping. But I'll keep it like that when I get to Shark. Thanks for the pointer Gumball.

June 18, 2016, 02:15:05 AM
Reply #23

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2016, 02:15:05 AM »
Copying this over from my resource thread. First post updated with the image.
Turns out I never uploaded the most recent version of the DOS image set here.
Some changes to the skins behind the coloring are in store.
(click to show/hide)
For those who can't notice them.
Bit Man gains an extra pixel to his lower torso, this makes him slightly taller and raises his waist line higher. His gem is also 2x2 instead of 1x2. Both changes resemble his source material better.
Shark Man's hips and upper legs are black now to resemble his source material, and he has more white on his chest, arms, and legs.
Oil Man has more decoration as already shown to break up his monotone coloring, also his lower torso was added to better resemble source material.
Torch Man's upper arms are visible and grey much like his source material, decorative coloring was added to break up his monotone coloring, a face piece was added to spruce up his design a little, his torch arm goes inwards for visual appearance, and his other arm was changed completely for better visual appearance as well.

June 28, 2016, 02:49:59 PM
Reply #24

Offline Geno

• MM8BDM Extender

• ❤ ❤ ❤
  • Date Registered: March 31, 2012, 10:07:28 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 02:49:59 PM »
Most of the changes look pretty neato, but
Wave Man's holes look super weird now, the original sprite was fine for him

June 28, 2016, 07:15:17 PM
Reply #25

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 07:15:17 PM »
Quote from: "Geno"
Most of the changes look pretty neato, but
Wave Man's holes look super weird now, the original sprite was fine for him
That is easy enough to revert back since I haven't done any of these changes to the actual skins yet. He still has minor edits in which he has the purple strips at the tops of his arms so there will still be a change to look forward too.

June 30, 2016, 12:10:07 AM
Reply #26

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 12:10:07 AM »
Yeah, i'll say I kinda prefer the original holes.

June 30, 2016, 01:44:49 AM
Reply #27

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 01:44:49 AM »
In a completely coincidental turn of events, I was working on it earlier today.

-=Changes=-
Wave Man's spouts returned to the original look.
Sonic Wave's icon left and right waves moved slightly so it looks less scrunched.
New Water Shooter icon.
Nuclear Detonator, Water Shooter, right 3 Blade Launcher, Blade Launcher icon from Bonglorio's sheet.
ND given 1 more pixal line to be a bit taller and was used for new icon. BL's icon slightly altered as well.
New look for Oil Stream from Bonglorio is on bottom (using his Torch Arm for the ignited shot) due to conceptual, not sure which I like the look of more, thoughts?
All skins in copy weapon colors on side, true colors next to them (with differences to Torch and Oil taken into account)
Oil's non-buster arm has been moved down and closer to his body to accent the shoulder size more like from the source game.

July 03, 2016, 01:30:36 AM
Reply #28

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2016, 01:30:36 AM »
Another update and more
As suggested by Geno: Bit Man's drill bits are blue once more.
And I think it is still shark week, and this next one has to do with Sharky
His fin has been given an extra pixal at the tip to make it more pointed, and a touch of white was added to the front of his helmet. Both of these are to correspond to the source material a bit better and touch up his look more.
But that is not all possibly in store for Sharky here and a visual will help before I move on

Here are 3 potential changes for his design based on source material, the left most being the current variation. The top one is about adding a white tip to his fin like he has in DOS3, the middle of the three looks most accurate while the right one is a possible alternative. The middle row is about the jaw point of his helmet, as the upper portion of his helmet came out more in DOS3, middle one doesn't go out as much, while the right one is most accurate. As for the bottom row, his alt skin, in DOS3 the inside of his helmet was blue with only his eyes visible past the teeth, so the left middle one accents that, the right middle one is more to fit weapon changing, while the left one uses the blue from his eye in the first.
For reference here is the source version

I'm curious which combination those following this thread are most interested in between the fin, jaw, and alt.
Personally I'm leaning more towards the middle for the fin and jaw while not changing the alt.

July 03, 2016, 01:39:34 AM
Reply #29

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2016, 01:39:34 AM »
I think it works best if you go middle for both fin and jaw. The alt would probably look best with the one all the way on the right.

Also I've been avoiding saying this but I still think it looks like Torch Man's right arm is broken the way it's bent.