Advanced Search

Author Topic: [GAME MODE] [IDEA] Skullhunt - Help Appreciated  (Read 6950 times)

March 15, 2012, 05:11:49 PM
Read 6950 times

Offline ? Manibogi ?

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: May 30, 2011, 11:00:57 PM

• View Profile
[GAME MODE] [IDEA] Skullhunt - Help Appreciated
« on: March 15, 2012, 05:11:49 PM »

"Welcome to Skullhunt. We hope you enjoy your stay, it won't last long."

Skullhunt is a new gamemode in development, made by me, Manibogi, and:
(click to show/hide)
The idea behind this is that all items dissapear from whatever map you're playing on, and other items, including normal health and weapon power-ups, will start to gradually appear in their place.

The main items, and namesakes of this mod, are Skulls:

Picking up a Skull will increase your Skullcount by 1 and restore a small amount of health. Whenever a Skull appears on the battlefield, all players will be notified. By default, all players start with 1 Skull. Killing an enemy will make them drop all of their Skulls. Each Skull carried by a player will increase damage dealt. A single player may get the boost from up to 15 Skulls at once. The player with the most Skulls will become the Underlord. Underlords Have this icon over their heads at all times. There's no additional bonus awarded for being the Underlord.

The next item is the rarest, but most rewarding item to find, the Crystal Skull:

Crystal Skulls have the same effects as normal Skulls, but increase the Skullcount by 5 upon pickup.

Next is the Gear:

Pick up the Gear to recieve a random Item!

Finally, Megaman's Helmet:

Pick up a Helmet to recieve 2 random weapons!

Winning Conditions:
When the Timelimit is hit, the current Underlord wins!
A player will win automatically if he/she grabs a 25 Skulls.

Aaand, that's about it.
I hope this idea actually becomes an actual thing, and that it keeps growing, even after the (possible) official release!

March 15, 2012, 05:52:38 PM
Reply #1

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
Re: [GAME MODE] [IDEA] Skullhunt
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 05:52:38 PM »
The idea of carrying a load of skulls around until you get a set number of them sounds a lot like the Headhunter mode from Halo Reach... though, by the way you describe the game mechanics, it sounds more like some weird fusion between Terminator and Possession.

I was actually contemplating a "Power Stone" game mode (hence the questions about hiding / duplicating the Terminator sphere) where players fight to collect three of the titular gems; completion of doing so would enable a timed transformation into a super-powerful adversary.

Aside from the whole "more skulls makes you stronger" part, I actually like the idea. Hope this gets off the ground!

March 15, 2012, 06:19:00 PM
Reply #2

Offline ? Manibogi ?

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
Funny you say that, 'cuz the reason why I chose Skulls is beacuse of Halo's skulls. I don't know what do they do, nor have I played any Halo game ever. :p
You really aren't supposed to win by collecting 16 Skulls, I mean if you can do that then good for you, but you're supposed to kill the Underlord, take his Skulls, and survive.
Exactly what do you dislike about the Skull power boost?
But thanks, anyway, it means a lot, especially coming from you.  ;)

March 15, 2012, 06:37:14 PM
Reply #3

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 06:37:14 PM »
I think the issue may be the whole skull idea, yea you used Skull Man's but this is Megaman.
Maybe something along the lines of P-Chips?

March 15, 2012, 06:39:13 PM
Reply #4

Offline HD_

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 13, 2011, 01:44:40 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 06:39:13 PM »
Okay, some stuffs.

Make the skull limit changeable. 15 may or may not be too short. Also, skulls should not give too much armor, or it won't be possible to kill people.

FGG you ninja leave it at skulls Skullmen are people too

March 15, 2012, 06:44:09 PM
Reply #5

Offline ? Manibogi ?

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 06:44:09 PM »
Quote from: "Human Destroyer"
Okay, some stuffs.

Make the skull limit changeable. 15 may or may not be too short. Also, skulls should not give too much armor, or it won't be possible to kill people.

FGG you ninja leave it at skulls Skullmen are people too

I was considering making it configurable via Fraglimit. As for the armor, it's beacuse I wanted Underlords to be a sort of Terminators if they have a lot of Skulls, though I can see were are you coming from.

Oh, SmashBro, if you are complaining beacuse you thing it makes no sense, they possess the power of fallen Skull Men, who have been massacred by millions ever since 1991.
I THINK he's complaining beacuse he thinks it's too violent, obiously he's never seen Ghouls in 8-bit.

March 15, 2012, 06:48:03 PM
Reply #6

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 06:48:03 PM »
When did he say anything about it being too violent? I agree, P-Chips are more megaman than collecting skulls.

March 15, 2012, 06:53:02 PM
Reply #7

Offline ? Manibogi ?

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 06:53:02 PM »
The problem is that it basically throws away all my concepts up to this point.
e.g. Underlord would become something along the lines of "Chipllionare"  :?
And people would be fighting over 15 chips. Is everyone poor?

Also, P-chips=Screws
Game Mode with Screws=Already exists

March 15, 2012, 07:11:56 PM
Reply #8

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 07:11:56 PM »
Quote from: "Manibogi"
The problem is that it basically throws away all my concepts up to this point.
e.g. Underlord would become something along the lines of "Chipllionare"  :?
And people would be fighting over 15 chips. Is everyone poor?

Also, P-chips=Screws
Game Mode with Screws=Already exists
Ah but the P in P-Chip stood for Power, so they are Power Chips, used to power the upgrades not put them together. I was almost tempted to use the gems from V.

Or you can use the things you collect after each boss in Megaman 1
Here are the lists of pretty much every pickups in 8bits
(click to show/hide)

March 15, 2012, 07:14:56 PM
Reply #9

Offline Laggy Blazko

• MM8BDM Extender

• Unf
  • Date Registered: April 01, 2011, 02:08:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 07:14:56 PM »
If you make a poll i'd vote for skulls.  :twisted:
Oh, and I'd suggest to not use fraglimit as skull limit because it could break the game.

March 15, 2012, 07:18:46 PM
Reply #10

Offline ? Manibogi ?

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 07:18:46 PM »
Quote from: "fortegigasgospel"
Ah but the P in P-Chip stood for Power, so they are Power Chips, used to power the upgrades not put them together. I was almost tempted to use the gems from V.

Or you can use the things you collect after each boss in Megaman 1
Here are the lists of pretty much every pickups in 8bits
(click to show/hide)
I don't think you understand. I designed this whole idea and gameplay around Skulls, I'm open to suggestions, but I don't want to drastically change my idea unless it's vital. Want a gamemode that has something to do with P-chips or Gems? Start a project yourself.

March 15, 2012, 07:59:39 PM
Reply #11

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 31, 2011, 10:37:33 PM

• View Profile
Re: [GAME MODE] [IDEA] Skullhunt - Help Appreciated
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 07:59:39 PM »
If there is no Underlord at the end of the match, the person with the most skulls win right?

What if there are multiple Underlords? Most Frags?

March 15, 2012, 08:27:12 PM
Reply #12

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 08:27:12 PM »
Oh, SmashBro, if you are complaining beacuse you thing it makes no sense, they possess the power of fallen Skull Men, who have been massacred by millions ever since 1991.
I THINK he's complaining beacuse he thinks it's too violent, obiously he's never seen Ghouls in 8-bit.
Where the hell did you pull THIS from?

I wasn't complaining about the skulls themselves, I was complaining about the proposed power boost. See, in Terminator mode it makes sense to go after the guy with the Terminator Sphere, seeing as how you get an instant 10 frags as well as incredibly amazing power boosts to every weapon you have.

However, in this mode things work a little differently. See, when you die you lose all your skulls, unlike in Terminator where going for "the big boss" is relatively risk-free. It's easier to go after similar-level or weaker-level opponents instead of hunting down the ass with a 7-skull lead because of the risk of losing all the skulls you're holding, and simply avoid or counter the leader instead of tackling him head-on.

Sure, maybe some sort of boost would be nice, because otherwise everyone would just gangbang the leader and leave him no chance of survival, but an armor boost, attack boost, AND a speed boost? That's just blatant overkill. Skulls also don't need to fully heal HP in my opinion, though I guess I could settle for a small amount of health / ammo regen.

One more thing: I think 15's MUCH too low under your rules. Headhunter had a 20 skull limit, but by the rules you made I'd suggest a cap of 25.

March 15, 2012, 08:30:27 PM
Reply #13

Offline ? Manibogi ?

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 08:30:27 PM »
Quote from: "TheDoc"
If there is no Underlord at the end of the match, the person with the most skulls win right?

What if there are multiple Underlords? Most Frags?
The person with the most Skulls IS the Underlord.
Both Underlords get a point.
Unless that can't be done, in which case the game ends in a draw and nobody gets any points/wins.

Quote from: "SmashBroPlusB"
Where the hell did you pull THIS from?

I wasn't complaining about the skulls themselves, I was complaining about the proposed power boost. See, in Terminator mode it makes sense to go after the guy with the Terminator Sphere, seeing as how you get an instant 10 frags as well as incredibly amazing power boosts to every weapon you have.

However, in this mode things work a little differently. See, when you die you lose all your skulls, unlike in Terminator where going for "the big boss" is relatively risk-free. It's easier to go after similar-level or weaker-level opponents instead of hunting down the ass with a 7-skull lead because of the risk of losing all the skulls you're holding, and simply avoid or counter the leader instead of tackling him head-on.

Sure, maybe some sort of boost would be nice, because otherwise everyone would just gangbang the leader and leave him no chance of survival, but an armor boost, attack boost, AND a speed boost? That's just blatant overkill. Skulls also don't need to fully heal HP in my opinion, though I guess I could settle for a small amount of health / ammo regen.

One more thing: I think 15's MUCH too low under your rules. Headhunter had a 20 skull limit, but by the rules you made I'd suggest a cap of 25.
Erm...A wizard did it.
That second line was for FGG.

Hmm...I admit I probably over did it. Armor boost makes many weapons useless, and speed boost would make high-level players impossible to hit. I think I'll just keep the power boost.
As for the health regen, I think Small energy will be more than enough.
Well, people don't seem to like the Skull limit, but Skulls are supposed to spawn rarely. Though, if the server is a clusterfuck of players and 1 person kills them all in the beggining, I guess the match would be over pretty soon.

March 15, 2012, 11:35:13 PM
Reply #14

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 11:35:13 PM »
Honestly, I wouldn't mind skulls. After all, it's a robot skull, yes?

I would use Skeleton Joe's head though, even if you still have Skullman's palette on it.