Advanced Search

Author Topic: FGG's resource stuff (Weapon Get + Pick ups)  (Read 60229 times)

February 05, 2014, 10:53:50 PM
Reply #30

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
Re: FGG's resource stuff (Dr. Wily's Revenge + II)
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2014, 10:53:50 PM »
Its not Fake 3D its me simply ripping the textures and coloring them completely forgetting to make new ones to fill in the blanks.

I've already begun III, skipping Shadow for the same reasons as Needle and Top. Gemini has some new crystals and the webs are animated, though I don't know how I'm gonna do the frames cause they use distortion animation. Snake's new background is being done once I figure out how I'm gonna do the moved frames and I'm gonna rip the thin sections.
The entirety of the bosses from 4 need to be ripped minus Skull having already been done but they had completely new textures. Wondering if I should make them uniform with Punk's tiles cause of them taking place within the same fortress.

February 06, 2014, 02:36:03 AM
Reply #31

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 02:36:03 AM »
I know it's not you man, I'm just pointing out things that need work before they would be actually useable in-game.

Very interesting color choices though.  "crash man 2: night time is the right time".

February 06, 2014, 03:37:36 AM
Reply #32

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2014, 03:37:36 AM »
Quote from: "NemZ"
I know it's not you man, I'm just pointing out things that need work before they would be actually useable in-game.

Very interesting color choices though.  "crash man 2: night time is the right time".
I understand, and its helping me get them done and better each time. As for the colors, I've been saving every map and using the color copy tool in paint.net to ensure I am using the exact colors from the original stages, even if 8bdm doesn't use those colors. The background actually comes from the night sky from the NES and the dark blue sky right before it.

Side note I got the tree animations from Snake GB. Gemini will still be tricky. Moving onto Suzy/Punk's textures next.

February 10, 2014, 06:03:49 PM
Reply #33

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
Re: FGG's resource stuff (Dr. Wily's Revenge, II, III)
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2014, 06:03:49 PM »
Mega Man World III tile sets. Skipped Shadow due to nothing new, didn't animated Gemini's webs. The plot of III was Wily found an oil mine and was digging it up, so the fluid in Dive's stage represents that.
(click to show/hide)
I'll wait on feedback before moving onto 4, in which all will be complete.

February 11, 2014, 03:47:14 AM
Reply #34

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2014, 03:47:14 AM »
Those Spark tiles look really sharp.

I'm really liking all of these as MMIII was my favorite out of the GB series (tied with 4). Good work.

February 11, 2014, 05:00:19 AM
Reply #35

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2014, 05:00:19 AM »
Wily base is a problem for color limits.  I've tackled those flashing lights before and the only solution I could come up with was to make that it's own pallete with each light it's own colored area, thus flashing can happen with color cycling rather than tile replacements and the lights can fade in and out rather than just on/off.  It's the same way the gears in metalman's stage work... both sets of teeth are actually on the tiles at the same time as different color zones, with one set to black on alternating passes.

You can learn a LOT about how they did stuff if you open up an emulator with a PPU viewer option turned on.  Also goes a long way towards explaining why some enemies are always together or why some are always alone.

February 11, 2014, 05:11:03 AM
Reply #36

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2014, 05:11:03 AM »
Wily base is a problem for color limits.  I've tackled those flashing lights before and the only solution I could come up with was to make that it's own pallete with each light it's own colored area, thus flashing can happen with color cycling rather than tile replacements and the lights can fade in and out rather than just on/off.  It's the same way the gears in metalman's stage work... both sets of teeth are actually on the tiles at the same time as different color zones, with one set to black on alternating passes.

You can learn a LOT about how they did stuff if you open up an emulator with a PPU viewer option turned on.  Also goes a long way towards explaining why some enemies are always together or why some are always alone.
I've got no emulators on this computer sadly, whats PPU viewer do? Might it help me with the webs?
Also the lights colors were picked as such solely because those were the colors they used in MM10. I think for the sake of easy of use I'm not gonna go making them a completely different layer and leave them as is.
Quote from: "Magnet Dood"
Those Spark tiles look really sharp.

I'm really liking all of these as MMIII was my favorite out of the GB series (tied with 4). Good work.
III was one of my all time favorite classic games, so I've been wanting to see these done for a long time, never thought it would be me doing it though.

February 11, 2014, 07:23:22 PM
Reply #37

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2014, 07:23:22 PM »
This is what a PPU viewer does:

Basically it lets you see the tile and sprite data as it exists in system memory rather than placed in-game, along with all the current palletes updated in realtime as you play the emulator.  By default everything is shown in pallete1, but it's still fairly easy to figgure out what is what if you pay attention.  For this example pallates 2, 3 and 4 are all on a constant cycle.  2 is currently all grey, but the last two correspond to the flashing arrows on the ends of the conveyors.  3 is for the conveyors themselves, and 4 is for the animated gears and pistons in the background.

On the other side you can see how sprite data is managed, though in this case it seems it's just way too many moles, the press, and those springy bastards.  Interestingly the moles are saved on the same data pack (these sections are loaded in 8px high lines) as the lava drips from wily6, the presses are on the same packet as worm generators, the springers are with the little blocks that make up crashwalls/bubble falling platforms, and if you look right below mega's graphics you can see that bubble, quick and metal all fit into a single packet as well.

weird as this seems, it also reveals that nes graphics are actually made of 8x8 blocks, not 16x16.  However color pallates must be used at 16x16 scale so they tend to reuse the same chunks over and over.  GB games actually use the same arrangement but because there's only 1 pallate they get away with using 8x8 blocks freely, which is why the graphics actually seem more complex in comparison in some places and why there are those thin platforms everywhere.

February 20, 2014, 01:51:16 AM
Reply #38

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
Re: FGG's resource stuff (IV)
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2014, 01:51:16 AM »
Took me a while but here is some of IV. I accidentally saved over Charge when doing Crystal so I gotta redo it, also gotta add floor tiles, so here is what I have so far. I won't update first post yet.
(click to show/hide)
Every stage had something that moved on it, geez. I'll update with Charge and the floor textures when I finish them. Oh and I need the animation and color for Napalm's fire.

March 03, 2014, 07:08:26 PM
Reply #39

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
Re: FGG's resource stuff (Dr. Wily's Revenge, II, III, & IV)
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2014, 07:08:26 PM »
Finally done

Mega Man World IV tile sets. This one took a while.
(click to show/hide)
I'll wait for some feedback on these and get to the touch ups.

March 04, 2014, 01:44:46 PM
Reply #40

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2014, 01:44:46 PM »
kinda overkill with the cyan/yellow combos, don't you think?

March 04, 2014, 02:14:44 PM
Reply #41

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2014, 02:14:44 PM »
kinda overkill with the cyan/yellow combos, don't you think?
Blame their choices of bosses, every one was done using the colors from the NES stage to allow them to be used along with the original tiles or independently. Ballade and Wily are using the colors from 10.
Also remember, the second set if bosses all take place inside the same facility a Ballade anyway.

May 27, 2014, 12:32:47 AM
Reply #42

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2014, 12:32:47 AM »
Updating with some of the Worlds Collide weapons that I have already made ideas for.
Worlds Collide Weapon Ideas
(click to show/hide)

June 11, 2014, 07:28:45 PM
Reply #43

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2014, 07:28:45 PM »
Sounds pretty good, but don't neglect Sonic Shot as a potential buster upgrade.

June 11, 2014, 11:39:18 PM
Reply #44

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2014, 11:39:18 PM »
Quote from: "Gumballtoid"
Sounds pretty good, but don't neglect Sonic Shot as a potential buster upgrade.
Yea Spin Dash Blaster is listed in my file for being needed.
I'm thinking it roll along the floor to a set distance before returning. So a Boomerang style weapon that rolls on the floor.
But it will be some time before it needs to be made.