Advanced Search

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Weapon Slot Retune  (Read 3377 times)

February 01, 2016, 11:15:21 PM
Read 3377 times

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
[Suggestion] Weapon Slot Retune
« on: February 01, 2016, 11:15:21 PM »
This suggestion should speak for itself.
When scrolling through this game's large set of weapons, even if you don't use bound slots, there isn't a ton of cohesion between what a weapon is theoretically supposed to be used for and how it would work in practice. This causes some weird placements of weapons such as Mega Ball going in the close-range weapons like Slash Claw and Thunder Claw when it seems more of a ranged option similar to Gemini Laser, or Sakugarne being placed into the Area-of-Effect slot with things like Gravity Hold when it acts more like a melee + mobility tool akin to Tengu Blade and Charge Kick.

This order of weapon placement and reasoning is somewhat ambiguous and should probably be addressed.

Currently, the slot layouts are as follows:

1 - "Busters" [8 Weapons]
This section contains the weapons that replace the Mega Buster from inventory items.
It contains the following weapons:
(click to show/hide)

2 - "Ranged" [16 weapons]
The weapons that are supposed to be strong at longer ranges.
(click to show/hide)

3 - "Rapid" [9 weapons]
Generally, these weapons are good at striking targets quickly, not offering much time between rounds.
(click to show/hide)

4 - "Close" [21 weapons]
These weapons are supposedly strong up close to an opponent.
(click to show/hide)

5 - "Power" [13 weapons]
Likely positions where it is due to Doom's Rocket Launcher, this category contains weapons that pack a general punch, or explode violently.
(click to show/hide)

6 - "Area-Of-Effect" and "Special" [10 weapons]
This section contains the weapons that either impact a large area, or are "too weird to categorize."
(click to show/hide)

7 - "Shield" [8 weapons]
(click to show/hide)

As of v4c, our total of weapons is 85. As developers and content creators for this game, it is advisable to make handling such an arsenal as painless as possible for players. One step in doing so would be to standardize how the default slot system is formatted.

This topic is for feedback related to a revised system for slots.
Which do you feel would be the best solution? A complete rework of the slot system? Arranging certain weapons so that they make more sense in the slot and scroll order? Give some feedback and help to improve one of the more overlooked details of the game.

February 02, 2016, 12:03:04 AM
Reply #1

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Weapon Slot Retune
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 12:03:04 AM »
For some players, it may actually be easier to group them by game. I personally would have a much easier time finding what I'm looking for with that kind of arrangement.

Of course, that doesn't apply to everyone, but it's food for thought.

February 02, 2016, 12:04:22 AM
Reply #2

Knux

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 12:04:22 AM »
As it stands, Crystal Eye is pretty much a charged Pharaoh Shot that can split even if it misses. If it's not reworked for v5 in some manner to make it more unique, I strongly suggest moving it to slot 5 (Power) due to said reasons. Hell, the crystal bits can be considered an explosion.

February 02, 2016, 01:49:14 AM
Reply #3

Offline JaxOf7

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: March 23, 2011, 03:56:13 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 01:49:14 AM »
I personally think the categories are perfect, just got some weapons categorized wrong.

(click to show/hide)

February 02, 2016, 03:11:52 AM
Reply #4

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 03:11:52 AM »
Quote from: "Gumballtoid"
For some players, it may actually be easier to group them by game. I personally would have a much easier time finding what I'm looking for with that kind of arrangement.

Of course, that doesn't apply to everyone, but it's food for thought.

Unfortunately, this is not a viable method as there are only 10 available slots (1-0) and we are covering 12 games in total.

February 02, 2016, 04:02:15 AM
Reply #5

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 04:02:15 AM »
As I said on skype. a mid-range category. Get some of those boomeranging weapons out of close range since a lot have good range. Maybe even move weapons such as Wild Coil, Wind Storm, and Bubble Lead into it as well.

February 02, 2016, 04:50:30 AM
Reply #6

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 04:50:30 AM »
Quote from: "Korby"
Unfortunately, this is not a viable method as there are only 10 available slots (1-0) and we are covering 12 games in total.
Ah, I misunderstood. I was more referring to the weapon scroll order. I'm not sure what can and can't be changed, though.

February 02, 2016, 06:14:19 AM
Reply #7

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 26, 2010, 01:51:13 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 06:14:19 AM »
Excellent idea to facilitate some slot discussion. While I like the idea, the groups themselves don't /quite/ line up with how I'd like to see weapon implemented in maps. In short, I'd like one of every weapon slot to be available in a map. No more, no less. This would mean creating somewhat strict groups that don't deviate a whole lot within themselves, equating to maybe 10. This would alleviate 95% of balance issues, would make weapon selection for mappers a much more intuitive process, and eliminate a lot of unnecessary fluff that players must go through in order to select a specific weapon. Currently, slots do not function as intended, and this is an excellent first step in improving the quality of life of players that like to juggle a lot of weapons at once.

February 02, 2016, 09:10:50 AM
Reply #8

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 09:10:50 AM »
Quote from: "Bikdark"
This would mean creating somewhat strict groups that don't deviate a whole lot within themselves, equating to maybe 10. This would alleviate 95% of balance issues, would make weapon selection for mappers a much more intuitive process, and eliminate a lot of unnecessary fluff that players must go through in order to select a specific weapon.

Can confirm that I would enjoy this greatly as I've been asking for a general weapon set guide for a good while and, besides the currently flawed slots, don't really have a ground to base weapon sets off of.

However, besides agreeing on that, I currently have no ideas to contribute on how to organize slots. My apologies.

I mean there's the whole "Dupe your weapons" and "Avoid weapon clones" thing, but that isn't really the topic at hand here.