Advanced Search

Author Topic: Balrog's Fixed Saxton Hale - Reports of my death, yadayada  (Read 149555 times)

February 09, 2013, 06:03:11 AM
Reply #30

Offline Isaac940

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 09, 2010, 07:13:26 PM

• View Profile
Re: Balrog's Fixed Saxton Hale - yepyepyepyepyep
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2013, 06:03:11 AM »
Quick note: Survivors still have two methods to harm other survivors. The "chain" part of Thunder Claw does a smallish amount of damage, and Oil Slider puddles that are lit on fire also do damage to survivors. Neither is as deadly as Wild Coil was but they are still annoying.

February 13, 2013, 12:22:31 AM
Reply #31

Offline ChaoticChao

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 14, 2013, 08:33:31 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 12:22:31 AM »
Is there any way for the spy to always see his life count? It would really help the hale out

February 13, 2013, 12:43:30 AM
Reply #32

Offline Balrog

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: February 08, 2011, 07:41:17 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2013, 12:43:30 AM »
Well, yes, but I don't think it would really matter, considering you have only one extra life now. If you can't remember losing a life 5 minutes ago, you probably have bigger problems than dying unexpectedly.

February 13, 2013, 01:50:48 AM
Reply #33

Offline ChaoticChao

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 01:50:48 AM »
I guess I didn't check the life count. Anyways, I have plenty of ideas for new hales.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
I am bringing my ideas over from Stinko's forum because he hasn't been on. Maybe they will be made this way, maybe not. Only time can tell.

February 13, 2013, 02:26:44 AM
Reply #34

Offline GameAndWatcher

• Standard Member

• Gosh!
  • Date Registered: April 03, 2011, 05:44:04 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2013, 02:26:44 AM »
Quote from: "ChaoticChao"
(click to show/hide)
I am bringing my ideas over from Stinko's forum because he hasn't been on. Maybe they will be made this way, maybe not. Only time can tell.
To be honest, I think if Meta Knight was Dark Meta Knight from Amazing Mirror, it would be slightly cooler, as Dark Meta Knight was slightly underrated.

February 13, 2013, 03:33:46 PM
Reply #35

Offline ChaoticChao

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2013, 03:33:46 PM »
Quote from: "Game&Watcher"
Quote from: "ChaoticChao"
(click to show/hide)
To be honest, I think if Meta Knight was Dark Meta Knight from Amazing Mirror, it would be slightly cooler, as Dark Meta Knight was slightly underrated.
I guess so, but I never really played amazing mirror. Plus, Galacta Knight and Meta Knight actually fought, so them tag teaming would really spike interest.

February 14, 2013, 07:42:45 AM
Reply #36

Offline Shade Guy

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: February 02, 2011, 10:42:15 PM

• View Profile
Over 2000 words. Whew!
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2013, 07:42:45 AM »
Let me say before I begin that I do not blame Balrog for the problems I have with this mod (except for one minor thing he added which irks me), but I figured since he appears to be the one managing the mod now, I might as well address the matter in his topic.

First thing: I would suggest that the name of this mod be changed. Even most versions of this mode's TF2 variant are called 'Freak Fortress' now, instead of simply 'VS. Saxton Hale'. Saxton Hale isn't really the main boss anymore, and the name of the mod should reflect on that.

Secondly: This mod is dripping with unoriginality (once again, not Balrog's fault). The fact that it's a mod derived from a mod of another game doesn't help, either. To be fair though, the original TF2 mod was pretty bland as well. The biggest problem is that with about one or two exceptions, every boss is the same; instakill melee, super jump item, and a 'rage' to turn the tide of the game. MM8BDM is a game based on variety, and it confuses me how the only variety present between most bosses is their rage, which only comes into play once or twice in a given round. So, while I'm willing to accept the 'boss character(s) versus everyone' concept that this mod revolves around, the bosses themselves really need to be more creative and diverse. That is, they should at least attempt to break away from the generic boss moveset, as described previously. Prepare yourself, for I will now go over each boss, looking at how interesting they are. What makes each boss stand out, if at all? Is this character worthy of being a boss?
(Note that bosses I dislike the most are at the top of the list, so that this post will progressively become more positive.)

Robo Christian Brutal Sniper: The mangled remains of what was once a TF2 meme. Adding onto this character's list of adjectives by turning him into a robot is unnecessary and only degrades his character further (or at least in my eyes). He doesn't really have any traits that make him stand out (except for his theme; Millionaire's Holiday is a pretty good song). Since this boss also seems to reference YD's Dark Man 3 class, I would suggest shifting further towards that aspect of this character; more emphasis on projectiles, actual sniping, you know (that is, projectiles outside of his rage). Otherwise, I would simply cut this boss.

Saxton Hale: The original boss from the TF2 mod, and the father of all TF2 meme characters (probably)...Which is the only real thing this boss has going for it. Instakill melee, super jump, and a rage that makes him invincible. Yep, doesn't get any more basic than this; nothing in particular makes him stand out. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if he was cut. The sheer simplicity of this boss outweighs the fact that he represents the mod's roots.

Ninja Spy: This boss appears to be a composite character, based on Shadow Man, YD's Shadow Man class, and TF2's Spy. Honestly, this boss made more sense as Gentle Spy, since that was an actual character from the TF2 world, like Christian Brutal Sniper. His current theme belongs to the Gentle Spy character, as well. What makes this boss stand out is his 'multiple lives' gimmick, but this gimmick is deceiving. Having multiple lives (with less health for each one) does not change his overall health in the long run. So, there's quite a bit of wasted potential with this guy's lives system. Using something based on TF2's Dead Ringer instead could be interesting...Although now I'm being hypocritical for suggesting that TF2 elements be incorporated.

Ghost of Starman v2: Another terribly bland boss, with ear-raping screeches for sound clips. The character is pretty obscure, and judging from the boss weapon's pick up message, it appears to be a mere inside joke of some description between Silversin and Lobsters. However, I prefer this character over the TF2 meme characters.

Ra Thor Reborn: A Mega Man character? That's cool...Except his attacks are completely irrelevant to his character. Seriously, if you're going to base a boss on a particular character, try and stick to the canon established (the same goes for other mods, mind you). I would suggest replacing his attacks with, well, moves that are actually relevant to his character. Otherwise I would suggest cutting him, because I just can't stand to see the sheer misrepresentation of his character. The idea of a boss having minions is worth reusing, though.

Pissed-Off Roll: Well, Roll is known for using a melee attack, I'll give you that. However, she just doesn't seem worthy of being a boss character. Not very unique, either.

Seeman and Seeldier: Another boss ported from the TF2 version of the mod, and quite possibly my least favourite character(s) in this mod. However, they get bonus points for the 'dual boss' gimmick, but there is wasted potential (as always). That is, there is no level of cooperation encouraged or required between the two bosses. I have seen a suggestion for a 'Incredible Wood Man and Kung-Fu Cut Man' dual boss posted, which I would prefer over Seeman and Seeldier, since a Wood Man and Cut Man boss fight would actually be relevant to MM8BDM. Not sure if they would encourage cooperation any better, though.

Morshu: Another meme-based boss...Except from the world of CD-I and Youtube Poop, and not TF2. This is what you get if you took YD's Bomb Man and made him into a boss. I heard that someone was in the process of giving him moves that use lamp oil/rope, but I fear that they won't be used to their greatest creative potential. Bonus points for a lack of an instakill melee.

Gilgamesh: This boss is pretty bland as well, but he gets bonus points for the character itself. His slower-than-average speed doesn't make for the most intense of fights, though. (Note that I generally prefer characters that are from video games to characters from memes spawned from video games.)

Cave Johnson: What's this? Something that isn't an instakill melee attack for a primary? Incredible. Having a secondary character from Portal 2 as a boss doesn't sit right with me, though. Also, it's spelt 'combustible'...Not 'combustable'.

Captain Falcon: Very mobile; with speed like that, he seems possibly too strong with his equivalent of an instakill Charge Kick. The focus of this post isn't really about balancing, though. Perhaps more of his moves from Super Smash Bros. could be used to potentially make this boss more unique?

Slenderman: Another meme-based boss. However, the emphasis on survival makes this boss unique, so I guess I can dig it, to an extent.

Scrooge McDuck: The first meme-based boss to actually be relevant to MM8BDM. I'll be honest, this is one of the few boss concepts I enjoyed. Including Hogales in his 'Moon Party' rage ability is a silly idea however, simply because Hogales didn't exist back when Moon Parties existed.

So, you may be thinking to yourself: The words creative and diverse have been thrown around a lot here. Does Shade even know what could make a boss creative and diverse? Well, I'll let you see for yourself if I can think up a creative boss. That's right; I'm making a boss suggestion.
(click to show/hide)
And another thing! The mod's file size is currently half the size of MM8BDM v3a. Let's fix that.
I would suggest a limit to how many sound clips a boss can use. Saxton Hale has a whopping 22 sound clips; 5 for his intro, 3 for his death, 4 for super jumping, 4 for his rage, and 6 for when he kills someone. Robo Christian Brutal Sniper, Ninja Spy and Pissed Off Roll are also offenders.
The music should also be looked over. The songs EARRAPE and YOUTIED are unused, and should be removed. TSUTMUS is 5.38 MB, which is ridiculous for a single music file.

And another another thing: The SAXMAPs. As a mapper, these maps offend me...Mainly the first two, but Icy Forts was never that great of a map, even for CTF. Now, I understand the point of having additional maps; each one is supposed to be based on a boss...Except they're not. SAXMAP2 and 3 have no ties to any of the bosses, defeating the purpose of including them. So, I would suggest removing these two.
SAXMAP1, while actually relevant, isn't a very good map either...So I would suggest removing that map as well. It is possible it could be reworked and improved, but with the map's creator (assuming Silversin made it) missing in action, it's highly unlikely.

February 14, 2013, 08:39:55 AM
Reply #37

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss
  • Date Registered: December 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://fandedication.4umer.com/
Re: Over 2000 words. Whew!
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2013, 08:39:55 AM »
Seeing this wall of text, I have a few comments to add in regards to it.

Quote from: "Shade Guy"
Prepare yourself, for I will now go over each boss, looking at how interesting they are. What makes each boss stand out, if at all? Is this character worthy of being a boss?
(Note that bosses I dislike the most are at the top of the list, so that this post will progressively become more positive.)

Robo Christian Brutal Sniper: The mangled remains of what was once a TF2 meme. Adding onto this character's list of adjectives by turning him into a robot is unnecessary and only degrades his character further (or at least in my eyes). He doesn't really have any traits that make him stand out (except for his theme; Millionaire's Holiday is a pretty good song). Since this boss also seems to reference YD's Dark Man 3 class, I would suggest shifting further towards that aspect of this character; more emphasis on projectiles, actual sniping, you know (that is, projectiles outside of his rage). Otherwise, I would simply cut this boss.

I never actually knew the sniper was related to TF2 in some way. Personally I was also somewhat irked by the fact that he's a sniper but doesn't really snipe much unless he's raging.

Saxton Hale: The original boss from the TF2 mod, and the father of all TF2 meme characters (probably)...Which is the only real thing this boss has going for it. Instakill melee, super jump, and a rage that makes him invincible. Yep, doesn't get any more basic than this; nothing in particular makes him stand out. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if he was cut. The sheer simplicity of this boss outweighs the fact that he represents the mod's roots.
It's my belief that the fact that he represents the mob's roots is the only reason that he's still in. I would try to think of some way to make him more interesting, but I honestly don't know much about TF2 in general so meh.

Ninja Spy: This boss appears to be a composite character, based on Shadow Man, YD's Shadow Man class, and TF2's Spy. Honestly, this boss made more sense as Gentle Spy, since that was an actual character from the TF2 world, like Christian Brutal Sniper. His current theme belongs to the Gentle Spy character, as well. What makes this boss stand out is his 'multiple lives' gimmick, but this gimmick is deceiving. Having multiple lives (with less health for each one) does not change his overall health in the long run. So, there's quite a bit of wasted potential with this guy's lives system. Using something based on TF2's Dead Ringer instead could be interesting...Although now I'm being hypocritical for suggesting that TF2 elements be incorporated.
Gentle Spy, Ninja Spy, The whole spydentity crisis makes my head spin. @_@ But yeah, I did notice the health and lives thing last time I played as him. The only thing is he gets temporary invincibility upon losing a life, so that actually benefits him a little.

Ghost of Starman v2: Another terribly bland boss, with ear-raping screeches for sound clips. The character is pretty obscure, and judging from the boss weapon's pick up message, it appears to be a mere inside joke of some description between Silversin and Lobsters. However, I prefer this character over the TF2 meme characters.
As much as I like the idea of the Ghost of Starman being in this, I have to wonder: Why does he have a claw attack? If you've ever actually seen a Starman, you'd know that they don't even have hands. Then again, I don't think he ever had an actual melee attack before. He actually starts a battle using PSI Starstorm Alpha, and then just grins at you for a while before finishing you off with Omega.
So maybe, I'm thinking that his claw attack could be replaced with a non-physical attack. Maybe like a greatly toned down Astro Crush to represent Starstorm Alpha. That would probably make it more accurate.

Ra Thor Reborn: A Mega Man character? That's cool...Except his attacks are completely irrelevant to his character. Seriously, if you're going to base a boss on a particular character, try and stick to the canon established (the same goes for other mods, mind you). I would suggest replacing his attacks with, well, moves that are actually relevant to his character. Otherwise I would suggest cutting him, because I just can't stand to see the sheer misrepresentation of his character. The idea of a boss having minions is worth reusing, though.
Ra Thor's current moveset is kinda unique and I do like it very much. However, like you said, it's just not him. So, if Ra Thor gets moves based on his actual self, then I suggest we take this moveset and make a new hale for it. I'd hate to see it go to waste.

Pissed-Off Roll: Well, Roll is known for using a melee attack, I'll give you that. However, she just doesn't seem worthy of being a boss character. Not very unique, either.
I was actually rather surprised to see that Roll managed to get in. There were better suggestions at the time. I'd honestly like her better if her broom could deflect projectiles, but all-in-all, she's not really boss material. :|

Seeman and Seeldier: Another boss ported from the TF2 version of the mod, and quite possibly my least favourite character(s) in this mod. However, they get bonus points for the 'dual boss' gimmick, but there is wasted potential (as always). That is, there is no level of cooperation encouraged or required between the two bosses. I have seen a suggestion for a 'Incredible Wood Man and Kung-Fu Cut Man' dual boss posted, which I would prefer over Seeman and Seeldier, since a Wood Man and Cut Man boss fight would actually be relevant to MM8BDM. Not sure if they would encourage cooperation any better, though.
Being the only dual boss gets them points yeah, but it's basically just Saxton Hale split in two and got two different rage's. Woodman and Cutman would be a nice replacement, but I'm sure there are better Robot Master combinations out there.

Morshu: Another meme-based boss...Except from the world of CD-I and Youtube Poop, and not TF2. This is what you get if you took YD's Bomb Man and made him into a boss. I heard that someone was in the process of giving him moves that use lamp oil/rope, but I fear that they won't be used to their greatest creative potential. Bonus points for a lack of an instakill melee.
I cannot express my undying hatred for this boss. Why is this guy even here in the first place? He's a freaking shopkeeper. That and YD's Bomb Man is already bothersome enough to deal with normally. Having his bombs do mortal damage is just cheap. He can basically one-shot you from halfway across the stage if he wanted to. And his "balancing" makes it even worse for the people playing as him, as his cooldown is like 15 seconds long. If there are a lot of players, and he happens to miss somehow, he'll end up being so helpless and losing half of his HP to the mob in those 15 seconds.

Gilgamesh: This boss is pretty bland as well, but he gets bonus points for the character itself. His slower-than-average speed doesn't make for the most intense of fights, though. (Note that I generally prefer characters that are from video games to characters from memes spawned from video games.)
I don't really know too much about FF5 in general, due to not having played it, but I feel that Gilgamesh should have a more unique fighting style than the generic Punch/Slash and Kill that everyone seems to have. Other than that, I think he's fine.

Cave Johnson: What's this? Something that isn't an instakill melee attack for a primary? Incredible. Having a secondary character from Portal 2 as a boss doesn't sit right with me, though. Also, it's spelt 'combustible'...Not 'combustable'.
I believe Cave is perfect as is.

Captain Falcon: Very mobile; with speed like that, he seems possibly too strong with his equivalent of an instakill Charge Kick. The focus of this post isn't really about balancing, though. Perhaps more of his moves from Super Smash Bros. could be used to potentially make this boss more unique?
You know, I suggested an entire moveset for him, but I think it got lost somewhere in the depths of the original thread. Also having an instakill Charge Kick can be pretty OP if you ask me. Especially since he can refire pretty quickly.

Slenderman: Another meme-based boss. However, the emphasis on survival makes this boss unique, so I guess I can dig it, to an extent.
To an extent, maybe. I'm not entirely fond of Slender in general. I think he should appear much rarer, for one thing. And though his moveset was reverted for the better, (as certain stages made it unwinnable for him) I think he should have kept certain aspects from the newer one. Such as being able to clip to the top of walls and the scream ability.

Scrooge McDuck: The first meme-based boss to actually be relevant to MM8BDM. I'll be honest, this is one of the few boss concepts I enjoyed. Including Hogales in his 'Moon Party' rage ability is a silly idea however, simply because Hogales didn't exist back when Moon Parties existed.
Scrooge is okay, but the Moon Party just feels ridiculous. It's the type of rage that Ashley would have, not Scrooge. I know it's like a sort of inside(or not) joke with the Moon Parties and such, but I just wouldn't do that for a boss that has relatively no other relations to whales. :|

So, you may be thinking to yourself: The words creative and diverse have been thrown around a lot here. Does Shade even know what could make a boss creative and diverse? Well, I'll let you see for yourself if I can think up a creative boss. That's right; I'm making a boss suggestion.
(click to show/hide)
Now THAT, my friend, is a keeper. I love the coin gimmick, as well.

And another thing! The mod's file size is currently half the size of MM8BDM v3a. Let's fix that.
I would suggest a limit to how many sound clips a boss can use. Saxton Hale has a whopping 22 sound clips; 5 for his intro, 3 for his death, 4 for super jumping, 4 for his rage, and 6 for when he kills someone. Robo Christian Brutal Sniper, Ninja Spy and Pissed Off Roll are also offenders.
The music should also be looked over. The songs EARRAPE and YOUTIED are unused, and should be removed. TSUTMUS is 5.38 MB, which is ridiculous for a single music file.
Well this problem could easily be solved by converting the sounds and musics to OGGS. Compressed OGGS, at that. I highly doubt Roll's theme was compressed, despite being an OGG. This could cut down on the size tremendously.

And another another thing: The SAXMAPs. As a mapper, these maps offend me...Mainly the first two, but Icy Forts was never that great of a map, even for CTF. Now, I understand the point of having additional maps; each one is supposed to be based on a boss...Except they're not. SAXMAP2 and 3 have no ties to any of the bosses, defeating the purpose of including them. So, I would suggest removing these two.
SAXMAP1, while actually relevant, isn't a very good map either...So I would suggest removing that map as well. It is possible it could be reworked and improved, but with the map's creator (assuming Silversin made it) missing in action, it's highly unlikely.
The SAXMAPS were very bleh to me. I would love to see some more professional mappers contributing to this mod; that would make this mod a lot more enjoyable. However, none of them really seem to care enough to even bother. That or they're just busy with other stuff.

February 14, 2013, 09:56:55 AM
Reply #38

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2013, 09:56:55 AM »
Mann Co. Headquarters is an actual VSH map from TF2 itself... though it works a lot better in TF2 than it does here. Scout's double jump skill, Engineer's teleporters, the ability to Rocket Jump and Sticky Jump, and the Hales' powerful Super Jumps keep things moving fairly quickly even in a map of such size. However, 8BDM not only lacks all of these "move halfway across the map in three seconds" features, it's also a projectile-based game versus a hitscan-based game. A once good map is now hindered by just how damn hard it is to even hit anything, and it ends up becoming a chore to play -- both for the normal players and for the Hale. I'd suggest re-tooling it or giving it the axe.

Granary is another map from TF2, this time from the core game's King of The Hill mode. To be honest it's a pretty darn faithful recreation, and unlike the horror of Mann Co. Headquarters I actually feel like this map plays rather well in 8BDM. Sure, it's simple and might be "boring", but then again so are a good portion of the maps found in the core game of 8BDM. What matters is how well it plays, and as far as I'm concerned it plays like a charm.

Icy Forts was always a stupid map but I'm rather indifferent as to whether it gets cut or not.

Also, Shade Guy... if you want bosses that don't just punch you to death, then... well, I'd suggest holding on to that thought. :ugeek:

February 14, 2013, 05:05:30 PM
Reply #39

Offline ChaoticChao

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2013, 05:05:30 PM »
I still think that a second pair hale from a game not in the Hale mode would attract more ideas and people. The maps, I don't really care about. The constant 1 hit kill, all you need is a hale that is completely different, like a fast hale that can only win by surviving (opposite of slendy). The idea of a hale can be bent and twisted into many forms, so can hale ideas. Maybe a hale that hides among the common character, or a hale that can't move, but can't be reached unless the survivors pass a bunch of traps.

February 14, 2013, 05:32:38 PM
Reply #40

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2013, 05:32:38 PM »
I'd like to just say we should do a Megaman Bosses version, simply focusing on the super big bosses of the series.
Ra Thor, Sunstar, Apollo, R-Shadow, Wily Capsule (not 7's, too cliche), Doc Robot, Dark Man, maybe even some non-player controlled ones such as Gamma (a rescaled Gamma or a multiplayer version of the boss), Evil Robot, Yellow Devil, New Yellow Devil (SAR), CRORQ, Met Daddy, Cockroach Twins (cause yes).
All bundled with special maps just for them.

Obviously it wouldn't use the typical every boss has a instakill melee of this mod either, bosses would have full attack sets and practically be boss strength classes.

February 14, 2013, 06:11:51 PM
Reply #41

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2013, 06:11:51 PM »
^ I support this. Definitely. But what about Ra Devil?

February 14, 2013, 06:21:39 PM
Reply #42

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2013, 06:21:39 PM »
Quote from: "Gizmo The Cat"
There IS no such character as Ra Devil, it's just a fan name given to the New Yellow Devil.

February 14, 2013, 06:44:25 PM
Reply #43

Offline tsukiyomaru0

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 07, 2010, 05:01:56 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2013, 06:44:25 PM »
Quote from: "fortegigasgospel"
There IS no such character as Ra Devil, it's just a fan name given to the New Yellow Devil.
There IS a Ra Devil. Except it is another Ra Devil

February 14, 2013, 06:48:45 PM
Reply #44

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2013, 06:48:45 PM »
Quote from: "fortegigasgospel"

Oh right. I probably would have remembered that if I could tell what the abbreviations you put next to it meant sooner.