Advanced Search

Author Topic: SpeedShot (Alpha 1) - Kill people twice as fast  (Read 3418 times)

August 13, 2016, 10:50:00 PM
Read 3418 times

Offline Myroc

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Tyst! Jag ser på TV!
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 08:35:35 PM

• View Profile
SpeedShot (Alpha 1) - Kill people twice as fast
« on: August 13, 2016, 10:50:00 PM »
"I made Search Snake super viable, but it's fine because I also made all other weapons super viable."

DOWNLOAD SPEEDSHOT ALPHA 1

What is this?
Something that was briefly brought up in the core devteam a while back was that projectiles in this game are relatively slow. Although 6 years of MM8BDM has proved that it certainly isn't impossible to aim the weapons in their current state, someone suggested a general speedup of all projectiles might improve the flow of deathmatch. This idea was ultimately shot down however, and understandably so, as this would be a huge change that would play haywire with balance that is mostly fine as it is. I rather liked the idea however so I decided to make a simple mod as a proof of concept thing.

That's great and all, but what does the mod DO?
SpeedShot doubles the projectile speed of almost every single projectile in the game. It does not change any other properties of those projectiles, except for ripper weapons which have had their damage doubled to offset the fact that they now spend roughly half as much time inside the enemy. A specific few weapons have received slight adjusments in light of the previous, but otherwise everything should function mostly the same apart from the increased speed. Do not expect this to be balanced in any shape or form. Also Hornet Chaser has not been sped up because that would be too much fun.

Is this mod compatible with X?
Mod compability has not been tested with anything so far, but this mod should be compatible with most mappacks. It will not be compatible with anything that modifies the projectiles of the vanilla weapons (the weapons themselves have not been touched, so mods that modify those should work assuming their vanilla functioning is intact). It should technically work with mods that add extra weapons (like classes mods, as long as they don't do the above), but those weapons will not have their speed increased so there's not much point to it.

When are you updating RocPack, you lazy bastard?
When It's Done.

Oh yeah and thanks to Lego for saving me from dealing with fucking Ice Wall I swear to god that thing ain't right.

August 16, 2016, 08:25:55 PM
Reply #1

Offline JaxOf7

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: March 23, 2011, 03:56:13 AM

• View Profile
Re: SpeedShot (Alpha 1) - Kill people twice as fast
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 08:25:55 PM »
I had this idea as well
I would have called it "MM8BDM Turbo"
Never actually got to it because I wanted a more elegant solution than decorate replaces with hard set speed values.
Something like projectiles calling A_ScaleVelocity upon spawn, and how much they're scaled depends on a constant.

August 16, 2016, 09:04:45 PM
Reply #2

Offline Myroc

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Tyst! Jag ser på TV!
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 08:35:35 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 09:04:45 PM »
Never actually got to it because I wanted a more elegant solution than decorate replaces with hard set speed values.
Something like projectiles calling A_ScaleVelocity upon spawn, and how much they're scaled depends on a constant.
This could easily be arranged. In fact I had to use A_ScaleVelocity as a workaround for Thunder Beam, as it's one of only two projectile-based weapons in the game which uses A_SpawnItemEx instead of A_FireCustomMissile (the other being Black Hole Bomb). It wouldn't be too difficult to replicate this behaviour for other weapons and tying it to a server variable.

I'm not sure how one would get around using decorate replaces for this sort of thing but right now that's beyond the scope of this mod.

August 18, 2016, 10:52:54 PM
Reply #3

Offline Chaosman.EXE

• Standard Member

• Barnacles. That is all.
  • Date Registered: November 04, 2015, 01:47:07 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 10:52:54 PM »
A mod that makes the game even crazier and more chaotic than before... I like it.