Advanced Search

Author Topic: Mirror Mode  (Read 4289 times)

September 15, 2016, 11:00:05 PM
Read 4289 times

Offline Thunderono

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• The Treaded Treasury
  • Date Registered: December 04, 2010, 11:20:27 PM

• View Profile
    • KHAN
Mirror Mode
« on: September 15, 2016, 11:00:05 PM »
a.k.a "Thunder ruins everything"

Hey everyone!  How're we enjoying v5?  Had a chance to get comfortable with the new maps?  Maybe you've spent a lot of time memorizing existing layouts and mastering them down to every pickup and turn?  Great!

Let's mess all that up.

Introducing Mirror Mode, an exhaustive pack that flips every* map in core on its heels.  In case you haven't played Mario Kart or don't know what a mirror is, Mirror Mode takes existing levels and flips them on an axis.  This can be very disorienting for players who rely on memorization.

A few things to note:
    -It's very possible that some of the offsets are still bad.  I tried my best to fix texture offsets and usage, and while I succeeded for the most part, there are likely still issues scattered throughout the maps.  Realistically speaking, it's difficult to catch everything.  Sorry!
    -It actually doesn't matter if I flip a map vertically or horizontally, since they yield the same result.  I got asked a few times during development and figured I'd establish that here.
    -Originally, I was going to make a version that replaced all of the core maps with these, so that you could play the campaign in mirror mode.  Unfortunately, since all the textures are defined in the map files themselves, this would cause a lot of filesize bloat and I ultimately opted not to go with it.  There's probably some hacky slade wizardry I could do, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Grab it from TSPG here!
Dropbox mirror
Some screenshots:
(click to show/hide)

*It technically isn't every map.  I left some maps out due to generally high symmetry or overall lack of difference when flipped.  Full list of exceptions in the spoiler:
(click to show/hide)

Mapcodes are the normal mapcode, followed by an R.  For example, MM9FAK would become MM9FAKR.

September 16, 2016, 12:30:33 AM
Reply #1

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
Re: Mirror Mode
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 12:30:33 AM »
You maniac. I hope you didn't do this manually!

September 16, 2016, 12:31:32 AM
Reply #2

Offline Thunderono

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• The Treaded Treasury
  • Date Registered: December 04, 2010, 11:20:27 PM

• View Profile
    • KHAN
Re: Mirror Mode
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 12:31:32 AM »
I did.
I have a chronic fear of trees.