Advanced Search

Author Topic: MM8BDM v5b - Weapon Tuning (New Weapons)  (Read 5796 times)

February 08, 2017, 05:57:15 PM
Read 5796 times

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: December 22, 2010, 10:43:54 PM

• View Profile
MM8BDM v5b - Weapon Tuning (New Weapons)
« on: February 08, 2017, 05:57:15 PM »
Hey all you mega fans! Welcome back to one of these topics!

We had one of these for V5a but I figured with all of the new weapons/weapon reworks done in that version, it would be more beneficial to make a brand new topic.

So here's that time where we reach out to the community and ask what do you think of the current weapon set in 8 Bit Deathmatch. Are there some weapons that are too strong? Are there some weapons that are too weak? What about all those reworks and new ones, are those good weapons in themselves? We're here to listen to your opinion! We want to hear what the community thinks as a whole!
For the time being we're gonna keep the discussion a bit more open than the last topic. We're gonna focus specifically on the new and changed weapons for this discussion. Which I will quickly list below.

(click to show/hide)

We just want to hear what you think on these changed weapons! Are any of them still problems? Are they good? Idunno let's hear some OPINIONS! And if you think a weapon is a problem, how would you elect to change it? Our only request is that you make it clear which weapon you're talking about, just for easier organization down the road.

Thank you all very much and we look forward to hearing your thoughts!

February 08, 2017, 08:34:40 PM
Reply #1

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 26, 2010, 01:51:13 AM

• View Profile
Re: MM8BDM v5b - Weapon Tuning (New Weapons)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 08:34:40 PM »
I'm gonna be blunt when I say you're not going to get any proper feedback. People don't play nearly enough vanilla to warrant having an opinion on ANY weapons, let alone these ones in particular. I'm not gonna get into the Classes vs Vanilla topic too much, but that's unfortunately the core problem. Maybe a "real talk" thread regarding making the vanilla game more enjoyable would be a better option, because I'm not sure this thread is going to do much good.

Oh, and threads like this should probably get @everyone'd on discord due to the massive drop in CS participation.

February 08, 2017, 08:55:17 PM
Reply #2

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 08:55:17 PM »
Vanilla weapons make their way into other game modes too, including CBM. I know it's a different beast but when all the weapons are available you can still give your thoughts on which ones are over/under performing or just aren't fun to use. We can't just turn a blind eye to vanilla weapon balance if people have thoughts on them, so I'll do that everyone ping.

February 08, 2017, 09:05:27 PM
Reply #3

Offline SaviorSword

• Standard Member

• Yar har, fiddle dee dee...
  • Date Registered: January 01, 2011, 02:13:30 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 09:05:27 PM »
Vanilla weapons make their way into other game modes too, including CBM. I know it's a different beast but when all the weapons are available you can still give your thoughts on which ones are over/under performing or just aren't fun to use. We can't just turn a blind eye to vanilla weapon balance if people have thoughts on them, so I'll do that everyone ping.

Can't disagree with that sentiment. Without vanilla, none of today would be the way it is now.

February 08, 2017, 09:23:03 PM
Reply #4

Offline Bikdark

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 26, 2010, 01:51:13 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 09:23:03 PM »
Oh yeah totally I agree, CBM is reliant on vanilla, but I'm not sure you're going to get what you want (more people to play vanilla) with just balancing weapons alone. To be honest, vanilla is a lot more fair than people make it out to be, but the sheer lack of gameplay stems from a burden of knowledge and burden of mechanics, among other "unfun" attributes. I mean... you might get closer to a "truly balanced" game with this thread, which I commend you all on, (because even through said lack of gameplay, you strive for quality,) but I don't know if it's going to amount to very much.

There's a particular term referred to in a video discussing competitive game balance, called "medium maximization", described as "The propensity to forget all about the end goal one wants to achieve, and to pursue instead, the means or mediums to that end goal." I think it has some relevance in this context, with the end goal being "fun and competition", and the medium being "balance".

Just some food for thought.

February 08, 2017, 09:48:12 PM
Reply #5

Offline Soundwave02

• Standard Member

• :X
  • Date Registered: October 08, 2016, 12:23:57 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 09:48:12 PM »
I am just going to talk about the weapons i have serious comments on them and i might be also wrong about some points i am about to rise so i don't mind if my stuff doesn't get considered, or to an extend, get taken seriously.

-Tornado Blow
(click to show/hide)

-Hornet Chaser
(click to show/hide)

-Skull Barrier
(click to show/hide)

-Atomic Fire
(click to show/hide)

-Centaur Flash
(click to show/hide)

And lastly

-Mirror Buster
(click to show/hide)

And that's all i have to say about this topic.

February 08, 2017, 10:54:57 PM
Reply #6

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 10:54:57 PM »
Would like to pop in to say that Laser Trident is a complete chore of a weapon and is simply too unwieldy to see much success with. Too much effort is required for too little payoff, if you ask me.

It would be neat if, as Soundwave said, Centaur Flash either lasted a little longer, let you switch weapons while invisible, or did away with the effects of weapons like Spark Shock or Time Slow. Not sure how possible the last two are, but just my thoughts.

I'll probably give some more substantial opinions once I'm not on mobile.

February 10, 2017, 02:53:21 AM
Reply #7

Offline Endymion

• Standard Member

• Master Magician
  • Date Registered: February 26, 2015, 03:18:18 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 02:53:21 AM »
I not used the MM9 weapons that much but totally agree on Centaur Flash. At its current state is is like a "fake warp, in-warp fight included". It is useful in complex maps but doesn't really gives you any option to actually do anything that helps you. If you ask me it is like removing the the character light-ups in UT2004: enough to evade a rush once but this won't bother anyone with a weapon.

However I have to say I doesn't like the idea to give the ability to switch and use different weapons while the Flash is active. It would be better if it deals little more damage but also stops the user a little (much like the copy weapon from the NES game). If it become an effective weapon from its own, not even the invisibility is required. It will looks more like the original counterpart.

... hmmm maybe it should destroy the projectiles near to you for some extra usability.

February 10, 2017, 01:30:06 PM
Reply #8

Offline Xhatahx

• Standard Member

• *sregnif sevaelretni* stenet wef a evah I
  • Date Registered: September 03, 2016, 07:21:47 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 01:30:06 PM »
Would like to pop in to say that Laser Trident is a complete chore of a weapon and is simply too unwieldy to see much success with. Too much effort is required for too little payoff, if you ask me.
Couldn't have said it better. Maybe shorten the acceleration time.
-Hornet Chaser
(click to show/hide)
Seconded, except for using it in CTF. Maybe speed up the bees so you'll have to strafe-run from them.
-Atomic Fire
(click to show/hide)
Also seconded.
-Mirror Buster
(click to show/hide)
Also seconded, except for the reflecting shield thing.
one day i'll get to talk about time stopper without being an asshole

February 10, 2017, 06:03:13 PM
Reply #9

Offline chuggaafan1

• Standard Member

• not a fan, really
  • Date Registered: November 26, 2010, 06:14:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 06:03:13 PM »

Third-ed.

Hornets could use some kind of buff, but it's hard to think of one that's both substantial and not-overpowering.