Advanced Search

Author Topic: The Robots are Revolting! (DOS Reborn) [V1C Released!]  (Read 61990 times)

November 26, 2015, 03:29:39 AM
Reply #15

Offline Turbodude

• Warrior

• Date Registered: July 07, 2010, 12:06:31 AM

• View Profile
    • My Twitch! (Fightingpolygonteam)
Re: The Robots are Revolting! (DOS Reborn)
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 03:29:39 AM »
Bit Man's map POC reminds me of a more watery MMBTEN, which I like.

It's nice to see this expansion get rebooted, though! I was actually starting to wonder where the old DOS project went.

November 27, 2015, 01:19:04 AM
Reply #16

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something

• Date Registered: October 29, 2012, 03:32:09 AM

• View Profile
    • http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 01:19:04 AM »
These stages are looking miles better than the originals.

I'm assuming the second one is Petrol Man or Torch Man's.

November 27, 2015, 01:33:55 AM
Reply #17

Offline Thunderono

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• The Treaded Treasury

• Date Registered: December 04, 2010, 11:20:27 PM

• View Profile
    • KHAN
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 01:33:55 AM »
Actually, the screenshots are both of Bit Man.  The aesthetic changes pretty drastically when you head inside.
Torch and Petrol are a ways off from being presentable, with the latter not even been claimed yet.

December 01, 2015, 05:15:13 AM
Reply #18

Online JaxOf7

• MM8BDM Extender

• Date Registered: March 23, 2011, 03:56:13 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 05:15:13 AM »
JaxOf7 has ideas.
These ideas are for how the bosses and weapons would work in a fleshed out 2d megaman game.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Source Game Bosses
Petrol
*Sprays a large spread of petrol from hands, it is hard to dodge and does no damage but covers megaman in petrol for a limited time. If megaman fires a weapon while covered, the weapon backfires and the petrol blows up. Also shoots bouncing bubbles of petrol from the head, these will just explode upon contact and getting shot. Petrol Man just jumps around.
Knife
*Flips a knife in his hand. Shinies show which ways he's going to toss the knives. Walls of knives with openings like Air Man. Also jumps and throws walls of knives at an angle.
Bit
*Charges forward with drills in front of him, drills block shots, have to head shot him. Will either pass under megaman or stop short. Goes to the center of the room, faces towards the screen and launches his drill bits as projectiles in both directions. Drill bits act as wall hazards that essentially make the arena shorter. As Bit's health gets lower, the drill bits he launches get longer.
Sonic
*Can boost in 5 directions and does so randomly (left, right, up, left-up, right-up) (will not dash along the ground though). Randomly replaces boosts with sonic boosts that creates sound wave projectiles perpendicular to his movement, these sound waves bounce off terrain once. While falling, may fire 2 diagonal sound waves forward from his tuning fork, these bounce infinitely and are time based.
Dyna
*(Note: buster hand replaced with another hand) Does Gutsman hops that make blocks of TNT fall down. Then does a high jump where he places his hands on his plunger, then lands and pushes the plunger down, detonating the blocks. Also sometimes lobs a stick of dynamite.
Buoy
*Floats at the top of flooded room. Main attack consists of shooting a bunch of booies upwards (like DOS wave's attack) (the force makes him dip below the water's surface a bit). These buoys then float and explode at random times (sometimes instantly) and drop anchors. Also swims in short bursts left and right.
Torch
*Runs from wall to wall, head torch flares up and down, making him tricky to jump over. Sometimes stops running to ready his attack: Makes a flame pillar that goes forward and starts out too tall to jump over, but decreases in height as it goes. Pillar also blocks shots.
Shark
*Flooded room. Dives into the ground and swims through the ground at you with his shark fin showing kinda like Metal Shark Player, rocks come up, randomly dives upward. While falling, throws 2 shark fin boomerangs at random places. The shark fins, after mingling in place, then home in on Megaman. Shark Man also jumps, but he doesn't have low water gravity.
Volt
*Generates a force field that looks like a plasma lamp. Smacks ground with claws to send shock waves along the ground, also does hops before hitting ground. Shooting the force field enough or just waiting will cause it to be launched at Megaman in a trajectory to where he was. Volt man also does large jumps.

Source Game Weapons
Petrol
*"Petrol Warning" A large spray of petrol that does 1 damage and covers enemies in petrol. Petrol makes enemies vulnerable to enemy projectiles, including their own.
Knife
*"Trick Knife" Megaman tosses the Knife above him, it goes up then down relative to his position like a combination of Shadow Blade and Pharaoh Shot and can hurt enemies above and/or close to him. When the Knife comes back down to Megaman, he throws it forward; horizontal alignment can be higher or lower by holding up or down, fast ripping projectile.
Bit
*"Bit Tipper" A drill comes out of the buster and gets longer as b is held down, releasing b fires off the long drill.
Sonic
*"Sonic Boom" Fires 2 diagonal sound waves that bounce off terrain, just like a Bari III enemy.
Dyna
*"Dyna Boost" Similar to Mega Ball and Kirby 64 Firework. When used in the air, summons a TNT block with a plunger below Megaman, Megaman presses down on the plunger, the plunger recoils back and boosts him upward for a small double jump, TNT block then explodes with large radius. If used on ground, summons block in front of him, plunger recoil is greater and provides Rush Coil height, will also just explode on enemy contact; using weapon again will make the block disappear.
Buoy
*"Overhang buoy" Similar to magnet missile. Fires a buoy that arcs upward. When it goes above an enemy or makes contact, it explodes and drops an anchor that rips downward.
Torch
*"Wall Torch" A pillar of flame that travels along terrain, starts out tall then gets small.
Shark
*"Shark Shredder" Megaman slides with an energy shark fin surround him, cutting through enemies. Has a greater height than charge kick and break dash.
Volt
*"Guiding Volt" Fires a large homing electric ball that blocks shots.
Also perfectly willing to code any weapons.

Edit: Weapon concepts in MM8BDM form
Spoiler for Hiden:
MM8BDM Weapons
Petrol
*"Petrol Warning" A shotgun of arcing shots. They do 10 damage and inflict petrol status. Petrol status makes petrol shots do 3 damage and everything else do x1.25 damage.
Knife
*"Trick Knife" Fire button makes you toss a knife upwards before falling, it travels with you and does close range damage before Mega catches and throws it. Fast projectile. Can have multiple knives tossed then thrown at a time.
Bit
*"Bit Tipper" Drill comes out, gets longer, and follows buster to an extent as long as fire is held. Releasing fire or waiting long enough launches the drill bit. Doesn't do damage until launched.
Sonic
*"Sonic Boom" Launches 2 sound waves at 30 degree angles, bounces off walls, time based. Quicker but weaker gemini laser.
Dyna
*"Dyna Boost" In air, the player does a small double jump and leaves a tnt box that promptly explodes. On ground, spawns a tnt box that can be used like a rush coil or will explode when making contact with an enemy or shot at. Using again despawns tnt box.
Buoy
*"Overhang Buoy" Fires a buoy that arcs upward like danger wrap, has some bounce. Will then die after either hitting an enemy, running out of time, or going over an enemy. When the buoy dies, drops a ripping anchor that does radius damage as it goes.
Torch
*"Wall Torch" Pillar that goes along terrain, starts out large then gets smaller. (Refer to yoyo cutter code)
Shark
*"Shark Shredder" Causes you to charge forward as long as you hold down fire, very limited turning, star crash like damage radius while in use. Also thrusts the user downward, unless the user is underwater.
Volt
*"Guiding Volt" Large homing projectile that blocks shots, has some leniency bouncing.
Now I wait.

December 03, 2015, 04:11:12 PM
Reply #19

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 04:11:12 PM »
Quote from: "Thunderono"
Actually, the screenshots are both of Bit Man.  The aesthetic changes pretty drastically when you head inside.
Torch and Petrol are a ways off from being presentable, with the latter not even been claimed yet.
I stand corrected.

December 14, 2015, 09:39:41 AM
Reply #20

Offline Promestein

• Standard Member

• Date Registered: July 27, 2013, 04:02:37 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 09:39:41 AM »
Kind of disappointing, to be honest.

I really liked what I saw of the last one (stages, skins, weapon concepts), but this, as you said, basically has nothing to do with the DOS games and is practically all-new, and that's kind of a shame. I was hoping the DOS games could have some been worked into something much better in MM8BDM. Besides, MM5 is present in the base game, and MM5 is debatably worse than DOS1.

Best of luck to you anyways.

December 14, 2015, 05:59:26 PM
Reply #21

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?

• Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 05:59:26 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
Quote from: "Promestein"
I really liked what I saw of the last one (stages, skins, weapon concepts), but this, as you said, basically has nothing to do with the DOS games and is practically all-new, and that's kind of a shame. I was hoping the DOS games could have some been worked into something much better in MM8BDM. Besides, MM5 is present in the base game, and MM5 is debatably worse than DOS1.

Besides, MM5 is present in the base game, and MM5 is debatably worse than DOS1.

MM5 is debatably worse than DOS1

Been a busy couple of weeks so far, so we don't have a whole lot to show you guys. Work has been churning behind the scenes, however. Rest assured we'll snap back into action when Christmas break rolls around.

For now, check out some of the work one of our new additions to the team, IamMedalHunter, is doing on the skins side of things. Knife Man looks awfully threatening!

December 14, 2015, 07:35:59 PM
Reply #22

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 07:35:59 PM »
Knife's walk cycle is pure lolz.

December 15, 2015, 12:01:37 AM
Reply #23

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 12:01:37 AM »
Kind of disappointing, to be honest.

Best of luck to you anyways.
I still have the original stuff and plan on doing stuff with it. I am actually kinda happy this is a thing tbh, I can understand why people hate on the DOS games as much as they.
As for 5 being worse then DOS, as someone who played through both DOS games multiple times, yea 5 is better. I will argue GBII is the only one worse then the DOS games.

December 16, 2015, 07:25:53 AM
Reply #24

Offline Promestein

• Standard Member

• Date Registered: July 27, 2013, 04:02:37 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 07:25:53 AM »
Let's not pretend MM5 was something exquisite. It was atrocious.

At least DOS1 can be laughed at. There's nothing laughably bad about MM5, it's just disappointingly bad.

December 16, 2015, 10:16:16 AM
Reply #25

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah

• Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2015, 10:16:16 AM »
Let's not pretend MM5 was something exquisite. It was atrocious.

At least DOS1 can be laughed at. There's nothing laughably bad about MM5, it's just disappointingly bad.

What?

Now, I'd agree that MM5 is probably the second weakest of the NES games, but most certainly not "disappointingly bad", or even comparable (and most certainly not worse) to any of the DOS games. MM5 is stellar in most, if not all aspects where the DOS games are undisputably mediocre.

In fact, the way this expansion project is handling the content from the DOS games, is which to say a reimagining of it, is probably the only way its worth doing. Not sticking to the source content to a T has never been more called for than in this case. I for one welcome the decission to use SnakePixel's reimagination of the DOS games instead of the original content.

December 19, 2015, 08:25:16 AM
Reply #26

Offline NES Boy

• Standard Member

• Date Registered: May 19, 2014, 04:59:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2015, 08:25:16 AM »
Will there be enemies populating outside of the arenas? If so, any enemy concept is better than the original rosters, the majority of which aren't even robots! I guess Rozner Labs just didn't care.

Speaking of Rozner Labs, has anybody attempted to get in touch with Stephen and William Rozner and interview them about the games?

December 19, 2015, 08:44:14 PM
Reply #27

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2015, 08:44:14 PM »
Quote from: "NES Boy"
Will there be enemies populating outside of the arenas? If so, any enemy concept is better than the original rosters, the majority of which aren't even robots! I guess Rozner Labs just didn't care.

Speaking of Rozner Labs, has anybody attempted to get in touch with Stephen and William Rozner and interview them about the games?
Designing enemies can be hard when you are litterally the only guy making the game in the case of the first one, and not much easier with 2 other people helping and you have 1 month to do it in the case of the second.  And clearly they are robots that look like animals, as they are called insectons and animaliods on the box.

December 20, 2015, 12:29:33 AM
Reply #28

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!

• Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2015, 12:29:33 AM »
Being one man isn't really much of an excuse in this situation; Pixel seemed to do alright with enemy design in Cave Story.

While I understand that Cave Story was in development for considerably longer than DOS, it's not hard to enlarge proportions of animals, make them look at least slightly robotic, and give them googly eyes. That alone would make the enemies in the game feel considerably more "megaman."

I get the feeling that we would design completely new enemies if Dood gives the order to include them on maps.

January 02, 2016, 05:10:44 PM
Reply #29

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?

• Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2016, 05:10:44 PM »
Haven't checked in recently, but work is still progressing!

On the skins side of things, we've finished up two for the most part. Knife is fully finished and looks great, while Torch is pretty much done aside from hurt sprites. Maps-wise, Thunder pushed out two cool maps in record time- the aforementioned Bit Man and Torch Man, as well. Watzup, meanwhile, has more or less completed Sonic Man, which is just waiting on textures. We haven't touched the weapons at this point since we more or less want to finish the maps first.

Hopefully I'll have more screenshots for you in the next couple of weeks. I'd like to show off Sonic's stage if I'm able.

thanks badz