Advanced Search

Author Topic: The NEW MM8BDM Wiki - Signup here!  (Read 23061 times)

March 30, 2015, 10:55:53 AM
Read 23061 times

Online CutmanMike

• Administrator

• :dozercool:

• Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • http://cutstuff.net
The NEW MM8BDM Wiki - Signup here!
« on: March 30, 2015, 10:55:53 AM »
NEW Wiki location here!

(Old wiki here)

The MM8BDM wiki was hosted unofficially on Wikia, but has been under quite a few vandalism attacks as of late. It also has that wikia stench with style I am not too particularly fond of and ads... oh god the ads. A lot of useful information WAS on the old wiki but a lot of it was out of date anyways. So I have created a in-house wiki for people to contribute to.

As this is going to be a more controlled environment, I am not allowing just anyone to sign up and start editing. If you want an account you should PM me (CutmanMike) with the subject "Wiki signup" in the following format:

Username: <Desired Username>
Email: <Your Email address>
Notes: <Any past experience with wikis or the MM8BDM Wikia>

Your e-mail is required so I can send you a temporary password.

Please only request access if you are actually going to help in migration from the MM8BDM wikia, as that is the most important thing at the moment.

Use this topic to discuss the wiki and fill in everyone on what you want to do. Once migration is complete we can take steps to hopefully take down the mm8bdm wikia (although this isn't too likely).

March 31, 2015, 07:50:49 PM
Reply #1

Online CutmanMike

• Administrator

• :dozercool:

• Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • http://cutstuff.net
Re: The NEW MM8BDM Wiki - Signups begin!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 07:50:49 PM »
Here is a list of key things that need to be copied over:

Core Information about the game
     Information about the game modes
     Weapon pages and images/icons
     Map pages and images/icons
     Item pages and images/icons
     Boss pages and images/icons
     Any other useful information.

I am not concerned about anything else just yet (such as that MASSIVE skin list, I think something better is required for that). Later on people can feel free to use the wiki for displaying information on their custom mods.

So far I have only had two people sign up. Please help out if you have time to burn. I can see who contributes what and your efforts may be rewarded with (???)!

April 11, 2015, 12:30:26 AM
Reply #2

Offline Jdude330

• Standard Member

• Date Registered: July 22, 2013, 12:57:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 12:30:26 AM »
hey, can we please have spoilers?
there is a free plugin you could use on the wiki here
it feels awkward just to put MASIVE SPOILERS as text, where people may accidentally READ what the spoiler was meant to protect.

April 11, 2015, 12:36:19 AM
Reply #3

Offline Zero1000

• Standard Member

• How did I do this?

• Date Registered: October 08, 2014, 03:08:19 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 12:36:19 AM »
We can get a (???) for connributing? I feel tempted but there's little i can do.

April 11, 2015, 01:16:02 AM
Reply #4

Offline Ceridran

• MM8BDM Extender

• Date Registered: April 07, 2012, 01:08:52 AM

• View Profile
    • http://ceridran.tumblr.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 01:16:02 AM »
Quote from: "Jdude330"
hey, can we please have spoilers?
there is a free plugin you could use on the wiki here
it feels awkward just to put MASIVE SPOILERS as text, where people may accidentally READ what the spoiler was meant to protect.

I talked to Mike about this a while back. We tried a spoiler plugin and it didn't work properly.

You can use this instead:

Code: [Select]
<div class="toccolours mw-collapsible mw-collapsed" style="width:800px">
[Title, remove brackets]
<div class="mw-collapsible-content">[content here, remove brackets]</div>
</div>

April 11, 2015, 01:59:16 AM
Reply #5

Offline Jdude330

• Standard Member

• Date Registered: July 22, 2013, 12:57:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 01:59:16 AM »
Alright, thanks! Will do next time I start imports.

May 07, 2015, 03:20:08 AM
Reply #6

Offline BEan

• Standard Member

• Date Registered: July 14, 2010, 07:34:03 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 03:20:08 AM »
Any chance on a section for server admins. I could use a "how-to" for linux

May 07, 2015, 03:45:44 AM
Reply #7

Offline Lego

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc

• Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 03:45:44 AM »
Most of the server hosting stuff can be found on the Zandronum Wiki, but you might need to do some digging to find what you're looking for.

Cutstuff also had two tutorials on server hosting if you're just trying to get a server started.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=750 - hosting in general
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=751 - port forwarding [can people see the server remotely?]

May 07, 2015, 03:50:58 AM
Reply #8

Offline Zero1000

• Standard Member

• How did I do this?

• Date Registered: October 08, 2014, 03:08:19 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 03:50:58 AM »
Should i register? Should i stay unregistred? I may end up doing absolutely nothing if I sign up, but that's one posibility. On the other hand, i could contribute a plenty of pages.

May 08, 2015, 11:43:25 PM
Reply #9

Offline BEan

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 11:43:25 PM »
Quote from: "Lego"
Most of the server hosting stuff can be found on the Zandronum Wiki, but you might need to do some digging to find what you're looking for.

Cutstuff also had two tutorials on server hosting if you're just trying to get a server started.
http://cutstuff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=750 - hosting in general
http://cutstuff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=751 - port forwarding [can people see the server remotely?]
"the hosting in general" link you posted is for windows using the launcher built in, for my purposes thats not going to work. For the server I use at lan parties they mostly run on a version of ubuntu-server, so pretty much I can't use the launcher. I did find several good articles on the zandronum site however I didn't see anything about using custom files like the ones mm8bdm uses. If I figure out how to get a mm8bdm server working on linux I would gladly share it and post it on the wiki. If anyone knows anything about hosting a doom server on linux please post it to the wiki.

I did find this.
zandronum-server -port 10666 -iwad doom2.wad -file <extra wads/pk3s here> +sv_nojump 1 +sv_nocrouch 1 +sv_hostname "This is not a server, it's a sandwich"

May 10, 2015, 08:45:46 AM
Reply #10

Offline Lego

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc

• Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 08:45:46 AM »
I'm a tad late to this, but in any case...

If you run the program and have access to the command line's parameters, you can use those to run a server.
My knowledge of Linux is horribly limited, but that line should run the game using Doom 2 as its iwad. If that works in Linux, then you would simply need to use the following command instead:
zandronum -server -port 10666 -iwad megagame.wad -file mm8bdm-v4c.pk3 +sv_hostname "This is not a server, it's a sandwich"I don't know if the Linux port has guis for the server? If not, then you'll have to set the map list manually...which is a chore. If it does, then the map list can be set up under maps->playlist. Otherwise, you'd have to go through and use the commands "addmap MM1CUT; addmap mm1GUT" etc until you added all the maps...

I sincerely apologize as I don't use Linux, my information and guidance is limited to what I know about the Windows port.

May 11, 2015, 12:14:49 AM
Reply #11

Offline BEan

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 12:14:49 AM »
Quote from: "Lego"
I'm a tad late to this, but in any case...

If you run the program and have access to the command line's parameters, you can use those to run a server.
My knowledge of Linux is horribly limited, but that line should run the game using Doom 2 as its iwad. If that works in Linux, then you would simply need to use the following command instead:
zandronum -server -port 10666 -iwad megagame.wad -file mm8bdm-v4c.pk3 +sv_hostname "This is not a server, it's a sandwich"I don't know if the Linux port has guis for the server? If not, then you'll have to set the map list manually...which is a chore. If it does, then the map list can be set up under maps->playlist. Otherwise, you'd have to go through and use the commands "addmap MM1CUT; addmap mm1GUT" etc until you added all the maps...

I sincerely apologize as I don't use Linux, my information and guidance is limited to what I know about the Windows port.

Thanks, If i get it working I will write up something for the wiki. I just ask you guys make a spot in the wiki for server admins.

October 14, 2015, 03:01:37 PM
Reply #12

Offline Geno

• MM8BDM Extender

• ❤ ❤ ❤

• Date Registered: March 31, 2012, 10:07:28 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 03:01:37 PM »
I sent in about this ages ago, but nothing happened, but

I can try to migrate the skins page over, because it is currently missing from the new wiki

March 30, 2016, 12:49:59 AM
Reply #13

Offline Giantmega

• Warrior

• Date Registered: September 07, 2012, 07:06:36 PM

• View Profile
Re: The NEW MM8BDM Wiki - Signup here!
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 12:49:59 AM »
Well, its been like, nearly a year since anyone posted here, but I'm running into trouble on the new wiki.

I tried bringing the InvInfoBox over from the old wiki

Spoiler for Hiden:

This is the InvInobox 's Template used on Mega Buster's page

To the new wiki, when I tried to add it to the Mega Buster page (New wiki), some kind of text appears at the top of the page
Spoiler for Hiden:

But, when I scrolled downwards towards the bottom of the page, the InvInfoBox appears
Spoiler for Hiden:

Note: Most of info was added, except for the MegaBusterGif.gif since its under a different kind of name

On the old wiki it appears off to the side, and doesn't have all that weird text above. It would be helpful if I can get some tips or help on this please. Thank you.

June 06, 2017, 01:04:50 AM
Reply #14

Doctor Wahwee

Re: The NEW MM8BDM Wiki - Signup here!
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 01:04:50 AM »
Just wondering, are there any plans to add a page for the trophies one can earn from the single player campaign? On one hand, it is a tad overwhelming to see an empty trophy case added in a new update and to have no idea where to even start looking to find out how to earn whatever goes inside the case. But on the other hand, it's really neat how the lack of information about the game online kind of hearkens back to the olden days when you generally couldn't find information about a game and secrets were more word of mouth. 

Though I understand if the secret needs preserving, I just thought it might be nice to at some point to have a trophy page (or a sub-section on the Light Labs page) with spoiler warnings about the certain optional activities that can earn you rewards. Sort of like a strategy guide or an achievement guide of sorts.