Cutstuff Message Board

Cutstuff community forums
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:01 am 

MM8BDM - Unofficial Release for Mac OS X

Latest Version: v4a-r012
DOWNLOAD HERE: http://cdn.belthesar.com/mm8bdm/mm8bdm-v4a-r012-macosx-intel.dmg.zip
Original post quoted below.

Contents:
* Acknowledgements
* System Requirements
* Instructions
* Change Log

Acknowledgements:
Previous versions of this port were powered by Wineskin (http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com). Thanks!
Thanks to Zandronum for picking up where Skulltag left off, and still making a decent OS X build for both Zandronum and Doomseeker!
Thanks too to CutManMike and the MM8BDM crew for making MM8BDM!

System Requirements:
    * Modern Apple Computer running OS X 10.6 or newer
    * 2 GB RAM

Instructions:
Drag the MegaMan 8-Bit Deathmatch icon to your Applications folder. If you have any previous versions of MM8BDM installed, you'll want to drag them to your Trash.
NOTE: You may need to disable OS X Gatekeeper to run MM8BDM for Mac. To do so, open System Preferences, go to Security and Privacy, and set the option “Allow apps downloaded from:” to “Anywhere”.

Change Log:
r012
UPDATE: Updated to MM8BDM v4a. Updated to Zandronum 1.2.

r011
UPDATE: Updated to MM8BDM v3b. Updated to Zandronum 1.11.

r010
UPDATE: Updated to MM8BDM v3a, switched to using Zandronum.
NOTE: Doomseeker will not have to redownload the files for V3A. They should be found automatically.
NOTE: All PWADs have been removed. Doomseeker does a much better job of making sure you have the right version for the server you're on.

r009
UPDATE: Now using Skulltag OS X Build + Doomseeker with custom launcher.
NOTE: Abandoned Mac OS X Package installer, as MM8BDM OS X is now a self-contained application.

r008
UPDATE: Updated MM8BDM to v2c from v2b.
NOTE: Reverted back to Wineskin for MM8BDM v2c. Fixed some problems, others arose. Wineskin wrapper abandoned. Unreleased.

r007
NOTE: First version using Skulltag's OS X Build. Functional, but not portable. Unreleased.
NOTE: Skulltag version used by v2b left us with no sound.

r006
UPDATE: Updated Wineskin engine from WS7Wine1.3.24 from WS7Wine1.3.16
UPDATE: Updated MM8BDM to v2b from v1d
FEATURE: Added PoweredUp v1b packages
FEATURE: Added ScrewScramble v1 WAD
FEATURE: Added ?-Box Mode v2c WAD

r005
UPDATE: Now using a Mac OS X Package installer.
FEATURE: Added "Roll's Chaos Generator v2" WAD.
BUG FIX: Replaced "testfade 01" with "vid_no2d 0" in autoexec.cfg to eliminate issue with black colors rendering as transparent when joining a server you are hosting.

r004
UPDATE: Updated the Wineskin Wrapper to version 2.1 from 2.0
UPDATE: Updated the Wineskin engine to WS7Wine1.3.16 from WS7Wine1.3.13
FEATURE: Added support for "DoomSeeker" multiplayer.
BUG FIX: Added "testfade 01" to newly created autoexec.cfg to eliminate issue with black colors rendering as transparent.
BUG FIX: Added "+vid_hw2d 0" to "DoomSeeker" launch parameters to eliminate issue with black colors rendering as transparent.

r003
INITIAL RELEASE
UPDATE: Updated MM8BDM to v1d from v1c.

r002
INSTALL: Migrated to fresh Wineskin 2.0 Wrapper.

r001
INSTALL: Installed MM8BDM v1c.

belthesar wrote:
Hey all. I recently had the opportunity to play around with MM8BDM and had a blast. As I saw there wasn't a good OS X release due to some issues with Skulltag compiling for OS X, I decided to play around with getting it to run in a WINE implementation, and had excellent success. The difference between other WINE systems and the one I've used is that I'm using an implementation called Wineskin, which is designed to make a standalone wrapper for Windows applications on OS X. This means that people playing with Mac OS X can double-click and play without having to fiddle around and get the game working.

tl;dr - I'm hosting a no-mess solution to play MM8BDM on Mac OS X.

System Requirements:
Intel Mac- all versions of WINE require an X86 processor.
2 GB of RAM. MM8BDM isn't a system resource hog, but OS X can be.

As far as tested specs, this wrapper is known to work on a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM, and Mac OS X 10.6.7. It should run on earlier versions of Snow Leopard, and on Leopard, but I can make no guarantees. This current release does not include Doom Seeker, as I only played Single Player. I will be updating the package to include it soon.

DOWNLOAD HERE: http://belthesar.com/mm8bdm/mm8bdm-v1d-macosx-intel.zip

Questions, comments, post them here. I'll follow the thread.

Last edited by belthesar on Mon May 26, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 17 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:05 am 

Wow. Very well written, props!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:13 am 
Site Admin

Medals: 4
MM8BDM Contributor (1) MM8BDM MM7 Contributor (1) MM8BDM MM8 Contributor (1)
MM8BDM MM&B Contributor (1)
That sounds lovely! Unfortunately I can't access that URL, otherwise I'd make a post about it on the blog. I'm sure there's an odd few mac users who gave up trying to get this thing to work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:18 am 

CutmanMike wrote:
That sounds lovely! Unfortunately I can't access that URL, otherwise I'd make a post about it on the blog. I'm sure there's an odd few mac users who gave up trying to get this thing to work.

Whoops! Getting used to a new SFTP program. Apparently it decided to remove all permissions from the file. Took care of that, so it should be downloadable now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:54 am 
Site Admin

Medals: 4
MM8BDM Contributor (1) MM8BDM MM7 Contributor (1) MM8BDM MM8 Contributor (1)
MM8BDM MM&B Contributor (1)
Posted about this on the front page. I hope this helps!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:30 am 

Updated to version r004. See the Topic Post for the download URL and Change Log.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:08 pm 

Medals: 1
Warrior (1)
I'm going to (hopefully) test this on a run of the mill 2 GB RAM, 2.13 GHZ Macbook.
Will post the results once I'm done.

EDIT: Well, I tested it and it ran very smooth, even on OpenGL (once the textures load that is, my GFX card is picky and doesn't preload stuff)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:44 pm 

sonicfan966 wrote:
EDIT: Well, I tested it and it ran very smooth, even on OpenGL (once the textures load that is, my GFX card is picky and doesn't preload stuff)

Although Skulltag doesn't have a high resource requirement by any stretch of the imagination, it's a roll of the dice as to whether running the graphics in OpenGL mode will give you any noticeable performance increase. As I have the game running in WINE, all the OpenGL calls have to go through the DirectX interpreter, which means they're still slow as all get out. Add to that the fact that the graphics for MM8BDM are low resolution textures and simple polygons and you'll probably find the MMX extensions on your processor running software graphics to be just as efficient as running the graphics in OpenGL mode.

Were I running the OS X build of Skulltag, which is currently broken, OpenGL performance might be better since it isn't going through DirectX to be rendered.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:09 am 

It seems that this doesn't read my controller. I can play with it and set controls like jumping and shooting, but when it comes to control sticks, I can't set actions to them, they are automatically put in. Basically, I'm set with the default control stick controls. Do I need another program for my controller to be recognizable?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:18 am 

Controllers and Mac OS X have long had a speckled past, and as a result, the controller support in this wrapper is pretty lame. I'll look into seeing if there's something I can do to increase controller support in the wrapper.

As an alternative, you might try ControllerMate from Ordered Bytes (LINK) and see if it helps solve your problems with using your controller's analog sticks. It's been known to help users who want to use the Xbox 360 controller in OS X, so this might help you there. ControllerMate isn't freeware, but it only costs $15, so if it solves your problems, it's a small price to pay.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next