Advanced Search

Author Topic: Unofficial MM8BDM Release on OS X  (Read 58347 times)

March 28, 2011, 01:01:48 AM
Read 58347 times

Offline belthesar

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: March 28, 2011, 12:48:09 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.belthesar.com
Unofficial MM8BDM Release on OS X
« on: March 28, 2011, 01:01:48 AM »
MM8BDM - Unofficial Release for Mac OS X

Latest Version: v4b-r013
DOWNLOAD HERE: http://cdn.belthesar.com/mm8bdm/mm8bdm-v4b-r013-macosx-intel.dmg.zip
Original post quoted below.

Contents:
* Acknowledgements
* System Requirements
* Instructions
* Change Log

Acknowledgements:
Previous versions of this port were powered by Wineskin (http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com). Thanks!
Thanks to Zandronum for picking up where Skulltag left off, and still making a decent OS X build for both Zandronum and Doomseeker!
Thanks too to CutManMike and the MM8BDM crew for making MM8BDM!

System Requirements:
    * Modern Apple Computer running OS X 10.6 or newer
    * 2 GB RAM

Instructions:
Drag the MegaMan 8-Bit Deathmatch icon to your Applications folder.  If you have any previous versions of MM8BDM installed, you'll want to drag them to your Trash.
NOTE:  You may need to disable OS X Gatekeeper to run MM8BDM for Mac.  To do so, open System Preferences, go to Security and Privacy, and set the option “Allow apps downloaded from:” to “Anywhere”.  
Alternatively, if you're familiar with the Terminal, you can paste this one line script to

Change Log:

r013
UPDATE:  Updated to MM8BDM v4b.  Updated to Zandronum 1.3.  

r012
UPDATE:  Updated to MM8BDM v4a.  Updated to Zandronum 1.2.  

r011
      UPDATE:  Updated to MM8BDM v3b.  Updated to Zandronum 1.11.

r010
      UPDATE:  Updated to MM8BDM v3a, switched to using Zandronum.  
      NOTE:  Doomseeker will not have to redownload the files for V3A.  They should be found automatically.  
      NOTE:  All PWADs have been removed.  Doomseeker does a much better job of making sure you have the right version for the server you're on.

r009
      UPDATE:  Now using Skulltag OS X Build + Doomseeker with custom launcher.  
      NOTE:  Abandoned Mac OS X Package installer, as MM8BDM OS X is now a self-contained application.

r008
      UPDATE:  Updated MM8BDM to v2c from v2b.
      NOTE:  Reverted back to Wineskin for MM8BDM v2c.  Fixed some problems, others arose. Wineskin wrapper abandoned. Unreleased.   

r007
      NOTE:  First version using Skulltag's OS X Build.  Functional, but not portable.  Unreleased.
      NOTE:  Skulltag version used by v2b left us with no sound.  

r006
      UPDATE:  Updated Wineskin engine from WS7Wine1.3.24 from WS7Wine1.3.16
      UPDATE:  Updated MM8BDM to v2b from v1d
      FEATURE:  Added PoweredUp v1b packages
      FEATURE:  Added ScrewScramble v1 WAD
      FEATURE:  Added ?-Box Mode v2c WAD

r005
      UPDATE:  Now using a Mac OS X Package installer.  
      FEATURE:  Added "Roll's Chaos Generator v2" WAD.
      BUG FIX:  Replaced "testfade 01" with "vid_no2d 0" in autoexec.cfg to eliminate issue with black colors rendering as transparent when joining a server you are hosting.

r004
      UPDATE:  Updated the Wineskin Wrapper to version 2.1 from 2.0
      UPDATE:  Updated the Wineskin engine to WS7Wine1.3.16 from WS7Wine1.3.13
      FEATURE:  Added support for "DoomSeeker" multiplayer.
      BUG FIX:  Added "testfade 01" to newly created autoexec.cfg to eliminate issue with black colors rendering as transparent.
      BUG FIX:  Added "+vid_hw2d 0" to "DoomSeeker" launch parameters to eliminate issue with black colors rendering as transparent.

r003
      INITIAL RELEASE
      UPDATE:  Updated MM8BDM to v1d from v1c.

r002
      INSTALL:  Migrated to fresh Wineskin 2.0 Wrapper.

r001
      INSTALL:  Installed MM8BDM v1c.

Quote from: "belthesar"
Hey all.  I recently had the opportunity to play around with MM8BDM and had a blast.  As I saw there wasn't a good OS X release due to some issues with Skulltag compiling for OS X, I decided to play around with getting it to run in a WINE implementation, and had excellent success.  The difference between other WINE systems and the one I've used is that I'm using an implementation called Wineskin, which is designed to make a standalone wrapper for Windows applications on OS X.  This means that people playing with Mac OS X can double-click and play without having to fiddle around and get the game working.  

tl;dr - I'm hosting a no-mess solution to play MM8BDM on Mac OS X.  

System Requirements:
Intel Mac- all versions of WINE require an X86 processor.
2 GB of RAM.  MM8BDM isn't a system resource hog, but OS X can be.

As far as tested specs, this wrapper is known to work on a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM, and Mac OS X 10.6.7.  It should run on earlier versions of Snow Leopard, and on Leopard, but I can make no guarantees. This current release does not include Doom Seeker, as I only played Single Player.  I will be updating the package to include it soon.

DOWNLOAD HERE:  http://belthesar.com/mm8bdm/mm8bdm-v1d-macosx-intel.zip

Questions, comments, post them here.  I'll follow the thread.

March 28, 2011, 01:05:08 AM
Reply #1

Offline MagnetMan497

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 13, 2010, 04:48:53 PM

• View Profile
Re: Unofficial MM8BDM Release on OS X
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 01:05:08 AM »
Wow. Very well written, props!

March 28, 2011, 01:13:39 AM
Reply #2

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 01:13:39 AM »
That sounds lovely! Unfortunately I can't access that URL, otherwise I'd make a post about it on the blog. I'm sure there's an odd few mac users who gave up trying to get this thing to work.

March 28, 2011, 01:18:17 AM
Reply #3

Offline belthesar

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 01:18:17 AM »
Quote from: "CutmanMike"
That sounds lovely! Unfortunately I can't access that URL, otherwise I'd make a post about it on the blog. I'm sure there's an odd few mac users who gave up trying to get this thing to work.
Whoops!  Getting used to a new SFTP program.  Apparently it decided to remove all permissions from the file.  Took care of that, so it should be downloadable now.

March 28, 2011, 09:54:54 AM
Reply #4

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 09:54:54 AM »
Posted about this on the front page. I hope this helps!

March 29, 2011, 01:30:01 AM
Reply #5

Offline belthesar

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 01:30:01 AM »
Updated to version r004.  See the Topic Post for the download URL and Change Log.

March 29, 2011, 08:08:31 PM
Reply #6

Offline Turbodude

• Warrior

• Minus the whole 'dude' thing.
  • Date Registered: July 07, 2010, 12:06:31 AM

• View Profile
    • My Twitch! (Fightingpolygonteam)
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 08:08:31 PM »
I'm going to (hopefully) test this on a run of the mill 2 GB RAM, 2.13 GHZ Macbook.
Will post the results once I'm done.

EDIT: Well, I tested it and it ran very smooth, even on OpenGL (once the textures load that is, my GFX card is picky and doesn't preload stuff)

March 29, 2011, 10:44:12 PM
Reply #7

Offline belthesar

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 10:44:12 PM »
Quote from: "sonicfan966"
EDIT: Well, I tested it and it ran very smooth, even on OpenGL (once the textures load that is, my GFX card is picky and doesn't preload stuff)

Although Skulltag doesn't have a high resource requirement by any stretch of the imagination, it's a roll of the dice as to whether running the graphics in OpenGL mode will give you any noticeable performance increase.  As I have the game running in WINE, all the OpenGL calls have to go through the DirectX interpreter, which means they're still slow as all get out. Add to that the fact that the graphics for MM8BDM are low resolution textures and simple polygons and you'll probably find the MMX extensions on your processor running software graphics to be just as efficient as running the graphics in OpenGL mode.

Were I running the OS X build of Skulltag, which is currently broken, OpenGL performance might be better since it isn't going through DirectX to be rendered.

April 06, 2011, 02:09:00 AM
Reply #8

Offline theanjo

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: December 23, 2010, 04:56:24 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 02:09:00 AM »
It seems that this doesn't read my controller. I can play with it and set controls like jumping and shooting, but when it comes to control sticks, I can't set actions to them, they are automatically put in. Basically, I'm set with the default control stick controls. Do I need another program for my controller to be recognizable?

April 06, 2011, 02:18:35 AM
Reply #9

Offline belthesar

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 02:18:35 AM »
Controllers and Mac OS X have long had a speckled past, and as a result, the controller support in this wrapper is pretty lame.  I'll look into seeing if there's something I can do to increase controller support in the wrapper.  

As an alternative, you might try ControllerMate from Ordered Bytes (LINK) and see if it helps solve your problems with using your controller's analog sticks.  It's been known to help users who want to use the Xbox 360 controller in OS X, so this might help you there.  ControllerMate isn't freeware, but it only costs $15, so if it solves your problems, it's a small price to pay.

April 24, 2011, 09:35:22 PM
Reply #10

Offline theanjo

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 09:35:22 PM »
I found a way to get my old control scheme back. This did require windows skulltag user info. (or in my case the data from my crossover application) Send your skulltag info from windows to your mac. You rename your skulltag info to the mac skulltag info, and move your mac info somewhere else. (or delete it. your choice.) You get your joystick settings back, as well as other data on the windows file. However, the joystick is still called "joystick 0".

May 01, 2011, 12:16:15 AM
Reply #11

Offline theanjo

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 12:16:15 AM »
Can you manually add vid_no2d 0? Because I tried to do so, and the same effect happened.

May 01, 2011, 01:27:37 AM
Reply #12

Offline belthesar

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 01:27:37 AM »
Quote from: "theanjo"
Can you manually add vid_no2d 0? Because I tried to do so, and the same effect happened.
Sure.  The proper flag is:

Code: [Select]
vid_hw2d 0

You can add that to your autoexec.cfg file, which is exactly the fix I implemented.

May 01, 2011, 06:51:46 AM
Reply #13

Offline theanjo

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 06:51:46 AM »
Something weird just happened. I play on mm8bdm for an offline skirmish just to rearrange binds and make sure they were set to the proper keys. I logged out and tried out DoomSeeker.Then suddenly this message appeared:
Wineskin Error
ERROR! Launching wineserver failed! No new
 wineserver PID found!

I tried to use MM8bDM itself and the same message appeared. I did no configurations to the application prior to the error message other than adding a few skins to the skin folder. And I managed to go on a server without much trouble after adding those skins.

May 01, 2011, 01:34:35 PM
Reply #14

Offline belthesar

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 01:34:35 PM »
Quote from: "theanjo"
... I logged out and tried out DoomSeeker.Then suddenly this message appeared:
Wineskin Error
ERROR! Launching wineserver failed! No new
 wineserver PID found!

More than likely, this has nothing to do with the skins you added, and moreso with the speed in which you attempted to launch DoomSeeker.  "wineserver" is the application that loads all of the psuedo-Windows components that allows you run Windows apps without Windows.  As you exited the game and then went to relaunch, most likely the "wineserver" instance hadn't finished its cleanup process and was still running.  When you tried to launch a new instance, it then complained because it found another "wineserver" instance running.  If the issue persists after waiting a few seconds between switching apps, you can open up Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app), look for any processes labeled "wineserver" and quit them from there.