Advanced Search

Author Topic: [CTF Map Pack] KCTF - Remastered (V1bX)  (Read 17888 times)

July 28, 2012, 02:14:32 AM
Read 17888 times

Knux

[CTF Map Pack] KCTF - Remastered (V1bX)
« on: July 28, 2012, 02:14:32 AM »
Software Warning - due to some bugs from the engine, this map pack might look weird in some areas while playing in Software mode. You'll see things like this:
(click to show/hide)
Unfortunately, this is out of my control. So for now, play in OpenGL mode if possible for the best experience. Now then...

Hello, everyone. This here is basically a map pack containing 7 brand-new Capture the Flag maps for your enjoyment. A lot has changed since the last version (v1b). So much in fact, that this is a new start for the pack! The three maps that were included last time were these, with their respective changes:

KCTF01 - Wellspring Fort: Remade entirely from scratch.
KCTF02 - Torn Woods: Remade entirely from scratch.
KCTF03 - Lux Quadrant: Fixed layout to be MUCH smaller and playable. Most weapons were changed, too.

And now, presenting pics from all 7 maps:

KCTF01 - Wellspring Fort
(click to show/hide)
KCTF02 - Torn Woods
(click to show/hide)
KCTF03 - Lux Quadrant
(click to show/hide)
KCTF04 - Mineral Passage
(click to show/hide)
KCTF05 - Meteorbound Outpost
(click to show/hide)
KCTF06 - Hollow Greenroad
(click to show/hide)
KCTF07 - Power Crater
(click to show/hide)
And without further ado, get the latest version here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?91im8xzxy533p09

Also on wadhost and BE.

Many thanks to King Dumb, Shade Guy, Mr. X and everyone else who contributed with their review during the making of this map pack. Namely Celebi, SaviorSword and OrangeMario for testing online and bug crushing.

Detailed credits are included in the .zip file along with the pack.

Have fun, everyone! Be sure to post any complaints here so I can possibly make a better pack. As for the future, I have about 5 more themes in mind, so stay tuned!

CHANGELOG
(click to show/hide)
Older version for those of you curious to compare:
http://www.mediafire.com/?q22xhn9hoq8pj81

EDIT: If a mod could move this to Projects, it would be great.

Much appreciated.

July 28, 2012, 02:15:52 AM
Reply #1

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
Re: [CTF Map Pack] KCTF - Remastered (V1aX)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 02:15:52 AM »
... Oh man.

OH MAN.

These look so cool. I'm gonna download 'em right now.

July 28, 2012, 03:42:59 PM
Reply #2

Offline Jc494

• Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: February 23, 2011, 06:57:17 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »
Oh hey, look what I found.

(click to show/hide)

Also nice texture offsets.

(click to show/hide)

July 28, 2012, 09:51:48 PM
Reply #3

Knux

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 09:51:48 PM »
Oops @ Wellspring Fort pic. Those are things that can be easily overlooked. Thanks.

As for the texture offsets in Lux Quadrant, which of them? If it's the blue Elec Man circle texture, then that was intentional. I mean, is it not obvious? The electricity comes out from that spot.  :|

One thing about Mineral Passage, by the way. It's huge still, but I settled with that layout until I can make a better one for the moment as I'm short on time lately from preparing to go back to college. For now, it's remotely good for games with a lot of people. Otherwise, set the pointlimit low because it's fairly possible games will take longer in there than the other maps. Sorry about that inconvenience.

July 28, 2012, 10:37:50 PM
Reply #4

Offline Jc494

• Enthusiast

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 10:37:50 PM »
Quote from: "Knux"
As for the texture offsets in Lux Quadrant, which of them? If it's the blue Elec Man circle texture, then that was intentional. I mean, is it not obvious? The electricity comes out from that spot.  :|

Oh ok.
Here's the spot I showed you in the previous screenshot.

(click to show/hide)

Turn around and....

(click to show/hide)

:|

I hope you see what I'm getting at.

July 29, 2012, 12:21:26 AM
Reply #5

Knux

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 12:21:26 AM »
Oh, I get it now. Yeah, minor thing, but nice to fix. This area was untouched since ye olde v1b, and the only thing changed in them were the pickups on top.

I forgot to mention this earlier too, but you know the right side route of Torn Woods? The one with the steps and falling too far in water? I actually ran out of ideas there. But I expect to change the way of getting up to the bases in there next version.

Maybe I'll just copy/paste the left route, but that's so lazy. >_>

EDIT: A few changes I made so far:

- Fixed texture offsets found by Jack and some others I found, and other errors.
- Changing up Mineral Passage's base areas to be smaller, some weapon changes.
- Cooking up a new map on paper. Not started yet until everything else existing is revised.

August 11, 2012, 09:53:32 PM
Reply #6

Knux

Re: [CTF Map Pack] KCTF - Remastered (V1aX-h)
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 09:53:32 PM »
Bumped for hotfix. Also added a changelog. Check it out.

August 11, 2012, 10:31:07 PM
Reply #7

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 31, 2011, 10:37:33 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 10:31:07 PM »
I'm glad to see CTF getting more attention. It's super-fun with classes

August 12, 2012, 06:41:31 AM
Reply #8

Knux

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 06:41:31 AM »
Thanks, Doc. I hope to continue to map when I have the time, which won't be much due to college. Still, I was told of some other errors on the servers after I released the hotfix. This is why feedback on the topic is important, folks.

I just wish I was there when it got hosted. Oh well.

August 12, 2012, 02:22:27 PM
Reply #9

Offline Jc494

• Enthusiast

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 02:22:27 PM »
For some silly reason I didn't take a look at KCTF05 when you first re-released it, and I took a look at it after you released the hotfix. Knux, I now pronouce you an extremly silly person for not fixing the stuff I found, as they are rather obvious. They are so obvious that I re-downloaded the hotfix just to make sure.

(click to show/hide)
These centaurman textures should be red, since we are on Wily's side

(click to show/hide)
I have no idea what happened here.

(click to show/hide)
Let me get this straight, we are on Wily's side yet the Logos are of Dr. Light? Also the fences in this path are not solid at all.

EDIT: Found 2 more things.

(click to show/hide)
On of the side paths the supposed raised floor is lowered, mainly caused due to copy and paste (I think)

(click to show/hide)
Sakugarne is stuck in the floor.

August 13, 2012, 01:37:09 AM
Reply #10

Knux

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 01:37:09 AM »
Well, I always check everything for errors with F4 on DB2 and I also look around. I play on OpenGL and I never saw wrong height floors or a stuck Sakugarne, so it must be a software thing (ARGH). I will try to fix it for software users, but if it screws things for GL users, I'll have to leave it. Good reminder though, to test everything in software.

As for the textures in map 05:
Quote from: "Knux"
Still, I was told of some other errors on the servers after I released the hotfix. This is why feedback on the topic is important, folks.
I am aware, thanks.

Well, a second fix is due, it seems. It can wait until next week though, since this isn't popular or anything yet. Blame college, actually. :ugeek:

EDIT: Yes I did notice the wrong floor heights just now. Oh man. Fixed that, the base colors and the railing. Time to check for software bugs.

September 30, 2012, 09:36:00 PM
Reply #11

Knux

Re: [CTF Map Pack] KCTF - Remastered (V1aX-h2)
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Some stuff from the deleted post (because triple posts are ugly):
(click to show/hide)
Well, it has been a while since I did any announcements, hasn't it? I have no other maps started on Doom Builder at this time. However, since I am drawing them on paper, that means that this hasn't been forgotten. Here are the current names on the new maps coming up next version:

KCTF06: Hollow Greenroad
KCTF07: Power Crater
KCTF08: Waveyard
KCTF09: Icefall Valley
KCTF10: (It depends on which map I decide to do for this spot. There's a base with elevators, a city with traffic, and a toxic sewer system.)

And since I cannot decide between those three, it's poll time! Vote for the theme that should go for the 10th map!

It will be up until I finish map 09, so you have plenty of time to vote.

Any comments and/or suggetions and bug horror reports for the other maps are also welcome in the meantime.

EDIT: KCTF02 is probably getting remade once again for the next version. That middle route and Danger Wrap on the right just don't work.

November 04, 2012, 05:48:44 AM
Reply #12

Knux

Re: [CTF Map Pack] KCTF - Remastered (V1aX-h2) [POLL]
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 05:48:44 AM »
Bumped for WIP pic: Hollow Greenroad.
(click to show/hide)
Maybe it doesn't look exciting, but that's the whole point. I took that picture when the map was still very plain.  :ugeek:

I will be working on DM maps after this, then it's on to 07: Power Crater. Coming not soon.

November 04, 2012, 06:02:03 AM
Reply #13

Offline Mr. X

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 07:05:48 PM

• View Profile
    • http://mrxsrr.blogspot.com
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 06:02:03 AM »
Lux Quadrant desperately needs a new weapon setup.  The bases have too weak of weapons/weapons ill equipped for most of the map which makes them too hard to defend.  We had a match on there tonight where basically the teams took over each other's bases and spawn camped the whole time.  It was too hard to drive people out because you basically had to leave the base altogether to get anything halfway decent.  Flash Stopper could also stand to be removed.

November 04, 2012, 07:07:18 AM
Reply #14

Knux

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 07:07:18 AM »
Quote from: "Mr. X"
Lux Quadrant desperately needs a new weapon setup.  The bases have too weak of weapons/weapons ill equipped for most of the map which makes them too hard to defend.  We had a match on there tonight where basically the teams took over each other's bases and spawn camped the whole time.  It was too hard to drive people out because you basically had to leave the base altogether to get anything halfway decent.  Flash Stopper could also stand to be removed.
You had one match? Or a few? Today, Rozark demonstrated me just how devastating Spark Shock can be combined with other weapons. See, what I'm trying to do is give map a pace as different as possible from the rest of the pack. That means I can't afford to stick the same weapons over and over in the bases. I could probably agree with Bubble Lead, but I was thinking of weak weapons anyway. Not sure why, though. I might trade Bubble Lead for something else. Just don't blame me for people camping on a medium sized map.

So then, what weapons are too weak and why should I change them? Why should Flash Stopper be removed? The only thing you told me was that you had a match tonight and that people camped. Anyone can do that, dude. Could you please be a little more specific? I'm sure I don't want Hard Knuckles in the bases.