Advanced Search

Author Topic: [Expansion] Mega Man World - Public Beta 2 Released!  (Read 24594 times)

July 21, 2016, 12:19:23 AM
Read 24594 times

Offline Jc494

• Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: February 23, 2011, 06:57:17 PM

• View Profile
[Expansion] Mega Man World - Public Beta 2 Released!
« on: July 21, 2016, 12:19:23 AM »

Mega Man World is a WIP Singleplayer/Co-Operative Mod which aims (at some point in time) to have stages based on all the Robot Masters from the Classic Series, as well as unique weapons for each of the playable classes. There are also special items hidden in each stage which can be equipped by visting Auto's Shop in the Hub map.

Currently, the Mod is unfinished and possibly buggy. There are only 6 maps from MM1 at the moment as well as a special boss fight for one Robot Master. I intend to fix any bugs and possibly add the remaining maps as well update the mod in the future with new maps and new weapons!

Click here to download!

Changelog from previous version:
(click to show/hide)

Screenshots
(click to show/hide)

Discord Invite Link: https://discord.gg/VJatGrC

July 21, 2016, 12:30:21 AM
Reply #1

Offline Turbodude

• Warrior

• Minus the whole 'dude' thing.
  • Date Registered: July 07, 2010, 12:06:31 AM

• View Profile
    • My Twitch! (Fightingpolygonteam)
Re: [Expansion] Mega Man World - Public Beta 1 Released!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 12:30:21 AM »
Well, this is a pleasant surprise! Gonna test it out right now.

Great work getting it out in a playable state!

July 21, 2016, 04:16:49 AM
Reply #2

Offline fortegigasgospel

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: July 31, 2011, 09:55:05 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 04:16:49 AM »
This is actually really cool and honestly well done. Can use some work, oh boy is Bomb's second half crazy a bit.
The pit below the Carry in Fire Man's stage caused my 8bdm to crash, so I only test Cut, Elec, Bomb, and Ice.
Also completely forgot I had done those blocks, the neutral one takes a lot of hits (for a single player using only the buster) maybe lower them to about 70 HP. Also if you would like I could probably go about making more for other various weapons, I noticed you have Toad weapon ones for instance when I looked at it with Slade.

Edit: Wanna make a note: I feel the weapon selection room is way to far away, put it in the room that show's what character has what weapon, since it will likely be obsolete once you have more weapons then that room shows, or attach it to the back of said room.

Some of the blocks seems to just, be there, kinda odd.
Also yea, check Fire, the other way the game crashed after going into the pit before I could get to the checkpoint there.

July 21, 2016, 05:36:24 AM
Reply #3

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• Is it hot in here or is it just zscript?
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2008, 12:24:34 PM

• View Profile
    • https://cutstuff.net
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 05:36:24 AM »
Well this came out of nowhere! I heard this has been in progress for quite some time, what's the story there? I hope the people who worked on this had the same fun (and struggles) I had when making my 4 mission mode maps.

Anyway, haven't had chance to try out all the maps yet but they look pretty good! I get a *lot* of requests to finish mission mode and give mm8bdm a true singleplayer experience so I'll be sure to point them in this direction for now.

July 21, 2016, 05:58:22 AM
Reply #4

Offline TailsMK4

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: October 17, 2010, 05:35:11 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 05:58:22 AM »
Thanks for the shout out, Mike! I do apologize that the mod is somewhat buggy, but it got to a point where some of us, myself included, didn't want to work on it anymore. Anyone is free to take the project up and resume from what we left off, though! The coding might be rather messy, but if you can get around that, you already have a fairly solid mod to work with. I hope people enjoy this as much as I enjoyed working on this. My efforts will go into another mod that isn't Cooperative-related, but I wish whoever picks this project back up the best of luck.

Now that this is out, however, I might do some mini-mods or even some Events with the mod. We'll have to see what happens!

July 21, 2016, 06:31:24 AM
Reply #5

Offline Jc494

• Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: February 23, 2011, 06:57:17 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 06:31:24 AM »
Public Beta 2 has been released, this update fixes a minor script numbering error which caused an Execution error when trying to run the game.

Rest assured, I will try to fix mapping and code related bugs for the next beta.

Click here to download!

Edit: Fixed the link because I'm dumb

July 21, 2016, 11:38:17 AM
Reply #6

Offline Stardust

• Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: July 15, 2012, 07:42:47 AM

• View Profile
Re: [Expansion] Mega Man World - Public Beta 2 Released!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 11:38:17 AM »
I've been reviving and contributing to this a lot after it died. Since a lot of work was done on it, I really wanted to get this done so it doesn't die like 85% of the mods. Eventually toward the end (the version JC posted right here you can get) I kind of lacked motivation and lost time IRL

anyway, a big thanks to JC for his huge work on the maps (he actually finished Bombman's map when I asked him, made the whole Gutsman map by himself (based on a canvas by Pik) and even wanted to make Timeman's) and the rest of the devteam who helped with it, because it wasn't easy behind the stages.

While it's not perfectly finished it's definitely playable and I encourage everyone to give it a try (still a public beta but close to be done) (Plus it'll change from the casual daily TLMS Classes.) Most bugs found during testing were fixed, the BIG issue that we didn't manage to finish was the difficulty of the mod. The mod is extremely difficult, even in CO-OP, in my opinion. I wouldn't recommand hosting survival before at least a few adjusts.

July 21, 2016, 03:44:51 PM
Reply #7

Offline RifleGod

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 30, 2015, 04:47:38 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 03:44:51 PM »
Awsome job!

July 21, 2016, 05:45:55 PM
Reply #8

Offline Trillster

• Time Lord

• what's a code
  • Date Registered: July 18, 2014, 08:42:32 PM

• View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 05:45:55 PM »
So I guess as a developer of this I might as well make a post about this. MMWorld for me was the biggest project I've ever been a part of. In fact, it was actually the first legitimate project I've been in since the beginning and had released. A total of 1 year, 10 months, and 1 day was spent on this project (not non-stop but you get the idea), so you can guess that a lot of us on the team wanted to get this out for people to play. I will say this though, even with how chaotic development could get at times, I don't regret any of the time I spent working on this. I went into this mod with next to no coding skills, being able to mostly make weapon edits, but by working on this I've gotten tons of experience in coding. The mod's had its ups and downs, fun times with inside jokes, and the bad times with some of us at each other's throats. I just want to thank everyone who helped with this project, even if you're not on the team anymore or if you just gave some suggestions, we wouldn't have been able to release this without you. Of course this doesn't mean the end though, as Tails mentioned, we might make some mini-mods or hold some special events for MMWorld. Now the main mod is being updated by JC as well. Along with this, JC has started a MMWorld Dev Discord where you guys can give suggestions and help test the mod, https://discord.gg/8AKKA. To conclude this post, this mod was a lot of fun to work on and I hope that people enjoy it (even though it's filled with bugs currently).

July 23, 2016, 02:58:18 AM
Reply #9

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yesterday's World
  • Date Registered: July 25, 2010, 05:23:05 AM

• View Profile
    • My Youtube (BlueBrawl)
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 02:58:18 AM »
So it's really apparent that the mod is unfinished because there were some bugs with the stages, and some gripes about the gameplay that I'd like to mention.
Starting with Bomb Man, one of the big bomb gates seems impossible to get through. Also, a couple of the floors cause you to "fall too far". The glitched floors are the white blocks with the the blue/grey outline.
Continuing with Bomb Man, it looks like these little red things are out of sync. By this, I mean that they are impossible to shoot at because the hitbox is all over the place with these things unless they're pressed against the walls.
Now, in terms of gameplay, I feel like there's a lot of action going but it's not well paced. There's always two-three enemies shooting at you, and rarely any cover to protect you from the onslaught. In the classic megaman games, I would usually pick my targets one at a time and be able to eliminate them with a few shots. In this mod, it feels like it takes several shots just to get rid of one small enemy, and they always seem to get in your face, leaving me with little else to do but either fight or die. The mixture of platforming and shooting is sometimes well-done, but when you're dropped into a room with large cannons blasting you from each corner and you're only given a split second to understand what the heck is going on, it leaves you questioning just how fair some of these stages. I feel like you guys plan on us to die, which is why you make the enemies hard to kill and drop lots of enemies in our path. This is likely because you're tired of the predictable and simpler pace offered by other co-op mods, such as MMSP and MMXSP. In my opinion, though, those mods are much better at pacing and enemy placement than this mod, so I hope you guys try to take some cues from Mike and Max for future stages. The level of ambition in this mod is unparalleled though, so I hope you're not discouraged and continue to refine your work and ultimately release something that feels fair, challenging, and innovative.

July 23, 2016, 09:23:08 AM
Reply #10

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 09:23:08 AM »
I'll mention this here since I don't trust everything to get seen on the discord now it's very popular:

Give all actors that jump/leap around +SLIDESONWALLS. I recently discovered that this helps big jumping actors not get stuck on walls (I recently added it to all the mm8bdm bosses that do it).

I have some leftover resources from Napalm Man's stage that I never finished. These include full sprites and code for Subeil, Power Muscler, Bombthrown, Apache Joe, Met Cannon, Yudon and Taban (although they need proper testing as I never tried them online). Since you're still dealing with Mega Man 1 content I doubt you need them now but if it ever comes to Mega Man 5 stuff let me know and I'll send them over.

July 23, 2016, 11:15:04 AM
Reply #11

Offline Stardust

• Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: July 15, 2012, 07:42:47 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 11:15:04 AM »
Yup, I received a message from JC with what you just said. I applied this to all enemies and bosses for the next version (or beta we'll see)

I don't think we need these sprites like, right NOW, as we're mostly fixing and balancing (and at the very best scenario adding timeman's map), but otherwise we're not really inclining toward mm2+ episodes new stages/content for the moment ^^

Just a little exception for this, I kind of wanted to rework the last part of Heat Man's stage (with the raising/lowering lava). The following was actually made months ago, but we judged too difficult to play for the first beta (everything I do is broken or difficult for some reasons), hopefully you could put in practice your obstacle course skills into this next version
(click to show/hide)

that aside thanks everyone for the mod's reception. Bugs aside (Guts lifts unsynch, Bombman being outrageously difficult and some other bugs or stuff here and there) it was overplayed for the past few days. Hopefully you'll keep appreciating it, especially after some overall difficulty tweaking (so Survival becomes more relevant, because yeah the mod was designed for a 3-lives survival)

Does anyone have a fixed link for the discord chat btw? I forgot to join it, and now it says the link has expired.

also CutmanMike sharing us on twitter FeelsGoodMan

July 23, 2016, 02:38:42 PM
Reply #12

Offline RifleGod

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 30, 2015, 04:47:38 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 02:38:42 PM »
Im hosting a server BTW! The name is "Radioactive Nokia".

July 23, 2016, 03:53:52 PM
Reply #13

Offline Superjustinbros

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• Something
  • Date Registered: October 29, 2012, 03:32:09 AM

• View Profile
    • http://superjustintheblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 03:53:52 PM »
At least I'm glad to hear the difficulty will receive a nerf.
Many of the stages raged from just annoying/cheap (Guts, Bomb, and Toad) to just outrageous with enemies everywhere that were made too tanky due to the health scaling.
I don't expect this to reach the difficulty level of the original MMSP, but at the moment it's currently all over the place.

July 23, 2016, 04:29:52 PM
Reply #14

Offline CutmanMike

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 04:29:52 PM »
My health scaling formula may not be the best. I was wondering if it would be possible to have some kind of dynamic scaling (when players enter/leave) maybe by giving/removing armor from enemies? I don't even know if that works...

Another thing I forgot to mention, I am kind of against switches in MM8BDM mods since the main game doesn't use any and players may not have a bind for them. It's why I used those switches you jump on in the first place. Consider maybe using the "player bumps" action instead for switches. That's just me though, totally up to you guys.