Advanced Search

Author Topic: The Zero Jump, Silent Fall Challenge  (Read 3194 times)

April 16, 2016, 07:45:27 PM
Read 3194 times

Offline King Dumb

• Global Moderator
  • Date Registered: March 08, 2011, 02:56:25 AM

• View Profile
The Zero Jump, Silent Fall Challenge
« on: April 16, 2016, 07:45:27 PM »
Some silly, difficult challenges for y'all to try.

THE MM1ELE CHALLENGE
1. Begin at Thunder Beam.
2. Collect every weapon on the map, then return to Thunder Beam. (Not counting buster upgrades, but it doesn't matter.)
3. You cannot press the jump button.
4. You cannot make a landing sound.
5. You must be standing totally still to end the challenge.
6. You cannot use Exit Unit.
7. Server settings at default. (No stupid gravity settings, air control, unlimited ammo/inventory, etc.)
8. Only vanilla MM8BDM loaded.
9. sv_cheats set to FALSE.

THE MM5DAR CHALLENGE
1. Begin at Crash Bomb.
2. Collect every weapon on the map, then return to Crash Bomb. (Not counting buster upgrades, but it doesn't matter.)
6. You cannot use Rush Jet.
7. You cannot use Eddie.
8. You cannot use Astro Crush (but of course, you must still acquire it).
9. Server settings at default. (No stupid gravity settings, air control, unlimited ammo/inventory, etc.)
10. Only vanilla MM8BDM loaded.
11. sv_cheats set to FALSE.

EDIT: NEW CHALLENGE
THE MM8CLO CHALLENGE
1. Begin at Thunder Claw.
2. Collect every weapon on the map, then return to Thunder Claw. (Not counting buster upgrades, but it doesn't matter.)
6. You cannot use Exit Unit.
7. You cannot use Party Ball.
8. Server settings at default. (No stupid gravity settings, air control, unlimited ammo/inventory, etc.)
9. Only vanilla MM8BDM loaded.
10. sv_cheats set to FALSE.

EDIT NUMBER 2 FOR VERSION 5:
THE MM7SHA CHALLENGE
OK, this challenge is really hard, so there are two versions. All normal rules of ZJSF apply (and you are not allowed to use Super Arm nor Eddie nor Exit, every other weapon/item is fair game).
Version 1 - Hardest version, SR50 only: Start at Noise Crush, end at Noise Crush.
Version 2 - Easier version, SR50 not required: Start at Scorch Wheel, end at Scorch Wheel.

- No jump button means NO JUMP BUTTON AT ALL. No jumping, jump cancelling, getting extra height on gyro pads, etc.
- The last three rules for each challenge are just to cover all the bases. Basically, do this as if you were in a normal public server and had to do it.
- If something isn't prohibited in the rules (and it's not something stupid like cheating), then it's fair game.
- These are all possible, but each very difficult! None requires SR50. (SR50 does make MM8CLO a tad bit easier, but it is 100% possible without.)

Good luck, and let us know here what your struggles/successes/ideas are! Maybe yours ideas or strats are better than ours!

April 19, 2016, 04:47:19 PM
Reply #1

Offline King Dumb

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
Re: The Zero Jump, Silent Fall Challenge
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 04:47:19 PM »
I figured I'd provide some hints to anyone still attempting these challenges! For future reference, when I say "bloop", I'm referring to the landing noise (i.e., one of the things you're not allowed to do.)

MM1ELE:
Most of this map is pretty easy. The end is very tricky though, both in figuring out what to do and in execution. Here are some hints that should help you figure things out!
-Remember, you can tap towards a ladder as you descend next to it to land without making a noise.
-While you bloop if you land on the ground after using a Gyro Pad, there are other things you can land on instead.
-If you stand inside one of the windows of the elec trap hallways and jump, you don't bloop.
-Mega Ball is a three-dimensional object and the bounce it gives you is constant. As long as you touch it above floor height, you'll bounce instead of kick it.

MM5DAR:
This is the hardest of the three maps.
-In my first run I used Rush Coil 4 times, for 4 different weapons. Of these 4 uses, two were necessary (I think), one made something much, much easier, and the other made something a bit easier.
-A few parts of this map require you to bounce on Mega Ball, but it doesn't seem like there's a good way to begin bouncing (since you can't jump onto it). Remember that you can climb elevation while bouncing on Mega Ball.
-A few weapons on this map are difficult to both acquire and escape from. Practice Mega Ball bouncing and give yourself plenty of W-Tanks. If you're using Rush Coil to get to a weapon, see if you can get to it without Rush Coil. This might allow you to save Rush Coil to use to escape from that weapon location. (Note: This isn't always possible.)
-

MM8CLO:
Execution-wise, this is the easiest map, but there are a few non-obvious things to figure out. That's the difficulty of this map, and as such these hints are a little more vague. There are also a few options in this map, where you can use one tricky strategy over another based on preference.
-There is an instance where good timing will allow you not to bloop. This provides an option for you.
-You only need to use Tengu Blade once.
-If you ever played JTE's Prop Hunt, try to remember some of the good hiding places. This could provide an option for you.
-Inventory and weapon ammo are obvious resources to you. There is one more resource that is less obviously helpful... This could provide an option for you.
-There is a trick that is easier with SR50, but still possible with SR40 (normal straferunning). This trick could provide one option for you.

July 29, 2016, 05:26:19 PM
Reply #2

Offline King Dumb

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 05:26:19 PM »
UPDATE for V5

Thanks to some layout changes, you can now Zero Jump Silent Fall on MM7SHA.

This is by far the most difficult ZJSF challenge yet. There are two start points, depending on whether you have SR50 or not. All normal rules of ZJSF apply (and you are not allowed to use Super Arm nor Eddie nor Exit; every other weapon/item is fair game). Also remember that you aren't allowed to touch the jump button at all.
Version 1 - Hardest version, SR50 only: Start at Noise Crush, end at Noise Crush.
Version 2 - Easier version, SR50 not required: Start at Scorch Wheel, end at Scorch Wheel.

Good luck! In a day or so I'll post some hints. My advice to you is to figure out how to get every weapon before you even start attempting the run.

July 30, 2016, 01:45:36 AM
Reply #3

Offline Orange juice :l

• Warrior
  • Date Registered: October 10, 2010, 08:41:18 PM

• View Profile
    • http://cutstuff.net/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=590
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 01:45:36 AM »
Please clarify the rules such that it does not refer to a "jump button" but instead the jump function/command, as it is possible to bind jump to something that is not a button, ie, the scroll wheel :^)