Advanced Search

Author Topic: [Map Pack] FMP2 (v1b)  (Read 20415 times)

February 13, 2012, 08:36:58 PM
Read 20415 times

Offline Fyone

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 09, 2011, 06:43:36 PM

• View Profile
[Map Pack] FMP2 (v1b)
« on: February 13, 2012, 08:36:58 PM »
FMP2 - Fyone's Map Pack 2:
-DOWNLOAD V1B-

Older versions:
(click to show/hide)

SCREENSHOTS:
(click to show/hide)

February 13, 2012, 09:24:12 PM
Reply #1

Offline Gummywormz

• Standard Member

• Air Man Tile Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: December 23, 2010, 01:05:44 AM

• View Profile
    • Github Page
Re: [Map Pack] FMP v1a Release
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 09:24:12 PM »
I would like to inquire as to who made the amazing 8 bit music in this pack.

February 13, 2012, 09:26:26 PM
Reply #2

Offline Fyone

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 09:26:26 PM »
Lad made the songs. There the first ones he made as well  :)

February 13, 2012, 09:44:07 PM
Reply #3

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 09:44:07 PM »
ill check it out. would you like some feedback too?

February 13, 2012, 09:45:57 PM
Reply #4

Offline Fyone

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 09:45:57 PM »
Yes...
Quote from: "Fyone"
Please comment and tell me what to fix, what to add, and/or what to take out.

February 13, 2012, 09:46:25 PM
Reply #5

Knux

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 09:46:25 PM »
Fyone, I was going to say something about all the maps, but you already know what I think from the PMs I sent you. Basically, you ignored 95% of it and did what you wanted. Well, it's your map pack alright. Doesn't keep me from feeling I wasted time on you, though. It's not like I'm telling you to do things to my liking either, but whatever.

Oh and the second map has badly placed textures in the ceiling of the staircase to the right of the castle, and both teleporter destinations. Do what you want.

February 13, 2012, 10:00:34 PM
Reply #6

Offline Fyone

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 10:00:34 PM »
Well, I took your comments into account but I had other testers who thought otherwise; that's all. Let me tell you that I really appreciate your comments, but I can't base my maps only on you; I must take other comments into account as well.

February 13, 2012, 10:05:02 PM
Reply #7

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 10:05:02 PM »
Mind if I have your permission to put the music up on mediafire? There's a populace wanting to hear it out outside of your pack.

February 13, 2012, 10:14:24 PM
Reply #8

Knux

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 10:14:24 PM »
Let me tell you that I really appreciate your comments, but I can't base my maps only on you; I must take other comments into account as well.

Well, obviously. I mean, if most people like it, then there's nothing to fix.

February 13, 2012, 10:21:42 PM
Reply #9

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 10:21:42 PM »
I hope you like reading.. :L

ALL:
Pro-It's.. a map collection. YAY MAPS! :D (sorry i really couldnt find a positive for overall >.<)
Con- maps are either too cramped or WAAAYYY to huge.
Con- Weapon energy and health capsules.. if you're sticking with the sizes of those you need to readjust them. One capsule here and there in a large map simply isn't enough.
Pon: It's a pro and a con. Nice music, but for some reason it annoys me after awhile. Especially in the 5th map. literally seems like a 10 second loop.  thats probably just me though.

Map1:
This map. One word. Gigantic. There's too much open space. Fill it with something. Add more capsules when you do. On the brightman side, hehe megaman jokes a variety of textures. That's good.

Map2:
In the style of Billy Mays-See, hallways are pretty cool. So are square rooms. Put them together.. WTF! No, but seriously. This map is also too huge, with little capsules for health/ammo. A long square hallway with little to no decor. Then, we get a variation of a square room, linking to 4 equally square rooms. Mix it up abit. Try not to go perfectly square either.

Map3:
OMG A TREEHOUSE!! I love this idea. The map isn't as huge as the others, but i cant help but feel that it still seems huge. Still needs better/more capsule placement and filler space. Also, the ballade cracker and silver tomahawk locations seem too easy to reach. At LEAST move the ballade cracker to someplace else. If i may suggest, put an rj somewhere and put the ballade cracker on top of the treehouse XD

Map4:
Back to the too huge thing. the platforms on the sides with all of the ladders remind me of hyper lode runner. Yes, it does XD. Too plain of textures on the inside. Spice it up abit. Shrink it/put filler space? Also with the usual problem of not enough capsules.

Map5:
Cossack's testing facility. Interesting idea. but, the long and annoying way just for item 1? I see how it's an idea to hide it there then put it, but the platforms to get the etank/skull barrier seem more rush coil worthy than item 1. decent sized rooms at a few locations, but it needs just abit of filler space. I find the hallways with the springs cramped at the end annoying, as with the loop that seems only 10 seconds or so long.

AND THAT MY FRIEND, is my feedback. These are my opinions, and you can take them into consideration if you do so choose.

HAVE A NICE DAY! :D

February 13, 2012, 10:31:06 PM
Reply #10

Offline Dr. Freeman

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: December 22, 2010, 10:43:54 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 10:31:06 PM »
Now I don't really care about the maps, as something more important stuck out to me.
The music.
I'm going to cut the sarcasm and just comment on the songs.

Every Song: The noise channel needs to be improved upon.
1: There is some dissonance (I believe that's the correct term. When two notes are played and they sound bad together). When there is one held long note, and another square is doing some 8th notes or something. And it is generally unappealing to the ear.
2: After the opening part where the noise channel kicks in, the lead just seems to comprise of random notes with no reason. And it might be me, but it seems as the key is constantly changing
3: I would say that this one is somewhat decent. Though sometimes the square sounds a bit funny, which is mostly heard before the loop.
4: Ok, the group of 16th/8th notes seem a bit random, and they do not fit with the rest of the melody as they seem to be in a different key. And as it progresses the notes seem to be even more random, that and no part of the song goes well with the previously mentioned 16th notes.
5: What on earth is the noise channel doing in this song? I know what was trying to be done, the same thing with Fire Man's stage. But here, it's just a bunch of random noises that don't fit with the song! Also remember that dissonance I mentioned earlier. It's all over the place in this song with the two squares playing at the same time. It just sounds terrible to the ear.
Boss: The tom effect in the Triangle doesn't exactly work if you cut it off, which is what happens throughout the song. Also this is very repetitive. And before it loops the notes seemed rushed.

February 13, 2012, 10:31:56 PM
Reply #11

Offline Red

• Standard Member

• man is the animal
  • Date Registered: March 13, 2011, 02:47:45 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 10:31:56 PM »
tl;dr it sucks

May i kindly suggest to rename your "CLIFMUS" to another thing? it conflicts with my amazing earthbound pack.

February 13, 2012, 10:34:19 PM
Reply #12

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 10:34:19 PM »
with lagman in mind, might i suggest you name it to just FYNMUS1? It might help.

February 13, 2012, 11:21:12 PM
Reply #13

Offline RebootRaeg

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 02:25:22 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 11:21:12 PM »
this is my opinion don't pay attention lol
(this is about music by the way)
(god i love music)

FMPBOSS- It's interesting. I agree with others, in the fact that it is a bit repetitive, but that's not too bad. I mean, isn't vidya gaem music all about repetition? It's also very different from something you'd usually hear in a video game such as Mega Man. As a whole, it's a good start, but it's still a bit empty. The beat was there, but it didn't really make a bold presence, and could be worked on a bit to make it a better backup to the rest of the song. The rest of it was decent, but I felt that the melody could have been taken to many more directions than you let it go. It remained around that one note for a good portion of the song, and as far as length, the melody could have continued and been built upon much higher than you attempted.

Overall, it's a start, and all it needs is a bit more structure.

GREEMUS- I'll come right out and say it, the first half of the song wasn't too keen. I still very much appreciated what it tried to do, which was build. This song had more structure than BOSS did, which I found very acceptable. As probably mentioned before, the melody of the first half was kind of....reaching. Like, it was grasping for a melody or a hook to hold on to, while still trying to be interesting. It was a good effort, which I again would like to mention that I appreciated that effort to be different, but it didn't exactly come up to par. Although, the second half was actually quite an improvement. It did what the first half tried to do. It went everywhere, yet it still held interest and sounded pretty decent. I don't know, it might've been the harmonizing notes you tried to pull off, but it caught my attention, and really took up and used the first half's potential.
The beat and backing, though, was again kind of empty, and could have been worked on. But as far as melody, it was certainly better than BOSS.

KAVEMUS- Where GREE lacked in beat, KAVE kind of made up for it. The beat was stronger and more noticeable in this tune, and also being actually kind of catchy. Like GREE, however, it can also be very easily regarded as two halves, with those halves very noticeably differing. This time, the first half was great. That beat that I mentioned started it off and led into the melody, which was again interesting. It went to notes unexpected and experimented with different ways to top off the decent main body of the melody. In the second half, which can be clearly distinguished by the heightening in key, is different though. It's more...math-y. It plays around with the beat and the time signature, suddenly shifting and again trying something new. Although, it may not have worked as well, as the melody came a bit weak during the shift. Again, I still appreciated what you tried to do, as it could've resulted in something really spectacular and intriguing. As a whole, I kind of see it as GREE's other half.

TESTMUS- Again, it felt very empty. But as for what's there, it is actually a bit dark and somewhat atmospheric. The backing, with it's distorted-y, rough sound sets up the mood, yet still falls under the problem that GREE had, with the beat not being as present as it should. The tone/sound you used for it was a good choice, and could've really made an impact if it was stronger, and had been accompanied with more of a beat. The melody was very diverse, hitting notes that could be seen as random or "poor choices". Although, that dissonance and "surprising-ness" is what really drives the mood. The dissonance gives it a kind of creepy vibe, and the fact that it jumps around like it does gives it a more chaotic nature.

TREEMUS- It's a tune that, I feel, is probably the best one of this wad. It's a lot more "full" than the others, with a prominent beat that does a few changes to keep interest while still holding to it's roots, and an again diverse melody that has more sound to it. In fact, the song all around does do a bit of different things from time to time, breaking its "repetitiveness" . I also feel that its melody is one of the best of this wad, and also a good structure. Good work on this one, though of course it can still have improvement and work to be done on it.

CLIFMUS- The second best tune of the wad. It has an interesting melody and a very noticeable beat, as well as a more acceptable structure. The only thing about it that lets TREE take the first spot is that it's a bit more repetitive.

Overall- The thematic disadvantage that these songs have is that they are good beginnings, but can be very much built upon. They are diverse and attention-grabbing, and really breaks the mold of the usual songs that people make with 8-bit. I would label it as "avant garde" or "experimental", as though it wasn't the best of quality, it still tried different things, and was like a breath of fresh air in the famitracker scene. All these songs need is more to them, to fill them with more of the sound and structure that they need. If done so, I feel these tunes could really have promise.

3/5

Ranking:
TREEMUS
CLIFMUS
KAVEMUS
TESTMUS
GREEMUS
FMPBOSS

February 13, 2012, 11:54:19 PM
Reply #14

Offline Clayton

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor
  • Date Registered: November 11, 2011, 11:57:03 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 11:54:19 PM »
Can't believe people enjoy my music, that makes me happy ^w^

don't worry guys, next map pack will have even greater songs!

if any suggestions on any songs you would like me to remake into 8-bit, post it and i'll see if it is good