Cutstuff > Events

CTF with a twist (NOT similar to dayman's CTF)

<< < (2/2)

Magnet Dood:
In Game Name: [Robot Master] Dood
Status: Draftee. I can easily do either Competitive or Friendly.
Preferred Roles: Probably Offensive or Defensive, which ever is more needed.
Availability: 4 to 9 on weekdays usually. Weekends can be spotty.
Contact: PM me here or on Skype (stardoodmm5). Howver, I might forget to load Skype sometimes, so... yeah. If I get your message three days later I apologize.

TailsMK4:

--- Quote from: "King Dumb" ---I would highly, highly suggest you overhaul the entire role system. There is not a single role that does not have some degree (for every role but the Spy, this degree is very high) of potential discrepancies in violations of your 'rules.'... ...the amount of subjectivity required to keep the roles in line is, though I hate the term, ridiculous. If you'd like specifics I'd be happy to oblige, but in general, everywhere you've stated that a role must avoid actively chasing opponents, collecting out-of-the-way weapons, and combat in general under circumstances are the items to which I'm referring. Not to mention that such rigidity in the roles prevents the flexibility that makes CTF teams competitive (that is, good) and fun.

To be constructive, make the roles less rigid. Condense some of the roles (Sniper and Defensive, for example) together and offer a variety of strategies for every role... ...You can still require applicants to specify their roles... ...To aid this process, you can introduce team captains to your system (this, of course, is not necessary for 2 or probably 3 person teams).
--- End quote ---

The thought did come to mind as I was doing the roles, though my goal was to have a bit of a variety in choices. I will revise the roles some more, but any suggestions are welcomed. This will require me some time, of course, but I won't start the competition until it is revised in a way that makes probably most people feel ok with doing.

Adding Dood to the list before I head off for the night.

Knux:

--- Quote from: "dayman" ---Where's your pack? I haven't seen it around and would like to download it and try it out.
--- End quote ---
It's on the Projects Forum. Or, you can click here, too.

EazyDI:

--- Quote from: "King Dumb" ---I would highly, highly suggest you overhaul the entire role system. There is not a single role that does not have some degree (for every role but the Spy, this degree is very high) of potential discrepancies in violations of your 'rules.' Even if you were intending to be present for every single match (which is not feasible if you want this league to be more active than a sloth), the amount of subjectivity required to keep the roles in line is, though I hate the term, ridiculous. If you'd like specifics I'd be happy to oblige, but in general, everywhere you've stated that a role must avoid actively chasing opponents, collecting out-of-the-way weapons, and combat in general under circumstances are the items to which I'm referring. Not to mention that such rigidity in the roles prevents the flexibility that makes CTF teams competitive (that is, good) and fun.

To be constructive, make the roles less rigid. Condense some of the roles (Sniper and Defensive, for example) together and offer a variety of strategies for every role. I could define the roles I believe would fit your framework, which you want to work for both casual and competitive play, but I don't want to do your job for you. You can still require applicants to specify their roles. Any team that would have been successful anyway will be able to organize itself into a cohesive system integrating the predefined roles. To aid this process, you can introduce team captains to your system (this, of course, is not necessary for 2 or probably 3 person teams).
--- End quote ---

After I read the role system, KD hit the nail on the head. Although I do agree with the role system, I do not think they should have rules. I will consider joining after I speak to OJ about this, though.

TailsMK4:
I was considering just stopping this since I didn't give this much thought this past week, especially since I had a fairly rough weekend after realizing some of the homework assignments I had were taking longer than I thought they would. If there's still interest in this, then I'll think about the roles some more maybe tomorrow or later on in the week. I'm probably just not thinking straight since I'm tired, but how could roles be kept in check, such as someone like the Spy all of a sudden grabbing the flag? I did restrictions for scenarios like that, but I do agree I am probably too restrictive. Give me a few days otherwise to rethink my approach to this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version