Advanced Search

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Ring Boomerang and Knight Crush Damagers  (Read 3066 times)

February 27, 2014, 11:23:52 PM
Read 3066 times

Offline Fyone

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 09, 2011, 06:43:36 PM

• View Profile
[Suggestion] Ring Boomerang and Knight Crush Damagers
« on: February 27, 2014, 11:23:52 PM »
Right now Ring Boomerang and Knight Crush damager's linger for longer than they should making them able to do a whole bunch of damage at once some times (especially for Knight Crush) they are even able to OHKO in some cases.

Changing the damager's 'Spawn' state from this
Code: [Select]
Spawn:
TNT1 A 2
stop
to this should fix it to an extent I believe
Spawn:
TNT1 AA 0
stop

February 28, 2014, 12:01:18 AM
Reply #1

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Ring Boomerang and Knight Crush Damagers
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 12:01:18 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a projectile lasting 0 tics would deal no damage.

Actually, don't correct me. I will need to check to see if this works myself.

EDIT: Ok, this is somewhat sound...but having a zero-tic lasting projectile still irks me...I guess we'll have to see what Mess/Ivory say about this, but the zero-tic projectile does deal damage. I'm just not sure if the nerf is really warranted...it would make it easier to balance...

February 28, 2014, 12:56:43 AM
Reply #2

Offline Fyone

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 12:56:43 AM »
Quote from: "Lego"
I'm just not sure if the nerf is really warranted...it would make it easier to balance...
Personally, I wouldn't think of it as a nerf; if you want you can buff the damage of the weapons themselves to justify the fix since personally I think these weapons weren't meant to OHKO or do chunks of damage all at once.

EDIT: Also on the topic of damagers, I think one should be added to Mega Ball since it can OHKO sometimes so adding a damager will fix this.

February 28, 2014, 02:15:36 AM
Reply #3

Offline Russel

• MM8BDM Extender

• Doc Croc
  • Date Registered: December 17, 2010, 11:11:25 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 02:15:36 AM »
It would be a nerf - rippers damage on a per-tic basis, reducing the number of tics of a projectile's existence reduces how much damage it does.

February 28, 2014, 02:16:46 AM
Reply #4

Offline Fyone

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 02:16:46 AM »
Quote from: "Fyone"
if you want you can buff the damage of the weapons themselves to justify the fix since personally I think these weapons weren't meant to OHKO or do chunks of damage all at once.

February 28, 2014, 02:27:40 AM
Reply #5

Offline Messatsu

• MM8BDM Extender

• Date Registered: November 10, 2010, 04:06:39 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 02:27:40 AM »
This seems slightly odd of a suggestion.  Let's look at the returning damager on ring boomerang

actor RingBoomerangDamager
{
damagetype "RingBoomerang"
PROJECTILE
+RIPPER
damage (15)
radius 12
height 12
States
{
Spawn:
TNT1 A 2
stop
}
}

Ok, so as it is now, it spawns a ripper projectile the lasts 2 tics for 30 damage each projectile.  Based on your suggestion, it would drop the damage down to 15.  This is odd though as if the damage is too high, there are numerous other ways to deal with it.  

1.) remove ripper
2.) reduce to 1 tic (rather pointless for a ripper to be 1 tic, but w/e)
3.) reduce damage overall

What exactly is the problem you're trying to resolve? Reducing the damage on the returning boomerang or something else?

February 28, 2014, 02:52:20 AM
Reply #6

Offline Fyone

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 02:52:20 AM »
I've already tested this, the damage isn't decreased by that much (if at all) in Ring Boomerang's case it still kills in 3-4 hits like it should (I assume) it just removes the possible OHKO. Also the ways you're going about fixing it doesn't fix it: removing the ripper would completely change the way Ring Boomerang is played and reducing it to 1 tic doesn't fix it since I was still able to get OHKO's with it when I was testing it with 1 tic and reducing the damage overall nerfs with weapon and keeps the possible OHKO. My solution prevents OHKO's (if not squashing them), it wasn't meant to nerf the weapon. As I've said you can buff the damage of the actual weapon itself while adding my fix and it theoretically shouldn't OHKO unless you buff it ridiculously; though it feels like the same (?) damage to me minus the OHKO's.

February 28, 2014, 03:04:21 AM
Reply #7

Offline Messatsu

• MM8BDM Extender

• Date Registered: November 10, 2010, 04:06:39 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 03:04:21 AM »
removing the ripper would completely change the way Ring Boomerang is played
1.) Er, no.  This is only the invisible damager when the boomerang returns to the player.  There would be no function difference to the player who fired it.  Only the player being hit would be hit once per damager rather than twice.

reducing it to 1 tic doesn't fix it since I was still able to get OHKO's with it when I was testing it with 1 tic and reducing the damage overall nerfs with weapon and keeps the possible OHKO. My solution prevents OHKO's (if not squashing them), it wasn't meant to nerf the weapon. As I've said you can buff the damage of the actual weapon itself while adding my fix and it theoretically shouldn't OHKO unless you buff it ridiculously
2.) Er.  TNT1 AA 0 and TNT1 A 1 should function roughly the same in this case.  It will apply damage once and disappear.  In theory, the weapon can not OHKO unless the player is hit by the boomerang right near the very end and doesn't move and then gets hit by it on the way back.  The damagers alone can't do it unless the player literally runs into 4 of them (which means they're quite deserving of death)

February 28, 2014, 03:06:51 AM
Reply #8

Offline Ivory

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: August 25, 2009, 08:17:59 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 03:06:51 AM »
Here is the issue: What you are trying to fix is not inherently a bad point. Knight Crush pulling off an OHKO for example is completely situational. To fire it off right when someone is in the corner. Similar case with Ring Boomerang. When is this a problem? When it's reliable to pull off. For example, v2 Slash Claw got hit with the nerf hammer because all you had to do to make an OHKO was to jump and aim down. That was a problem. Flame Sword being able to OHKO is a bigger issue than the weapons you are trying to unfairly nerf.

February 28, 2014, 03:22:39 AM
Reply #9

Offline Fyone

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 03:22:39 AM »
Quote from: "Messatsu"
removing the ripper would completely change the way Ring Boomerang is played
1.) Er, no.  This is only the invisible damager when the boomerang returns to the player.  There would be no function difference to the player who fired it.  Only the player being hit would be hit once per damager rather than twice.
Sorry I thought you meant the entire weapon, this could probably work then, I haven't tested it out myself.

reducing it to 1 tic doesn't fix it since I was still able to get OHKO's with it when I was testing it with 1 tic and reducing the damage overall nerfs with weapon and keeps the possible OHKO. My solution prevents OHKO's (if not squashing them), it wasn't meant to nerf the weapon. As I've said you can buff the damage of the actual weapon itself while adding my fix and it theoretically shouldn't OHKO unless you buff it ridiculously
2.) Er.  TNT1 AA 0 and TNT1 A 1 should function roughly the same in this case.  It will apply damage once and disappear.  In theory, the weapon can not OHKO unless the player is hit by the boomerang right near the very end and doesn't move and then gets hit by it on the way back.  The damagers alone can't do it unless the player literally runs into 4 of them (which means they're quite deserving of death)
I assumed the reason why the OHKO happens is because of the damagers overlapping.

Quote from: "Ivory"
Here is the issue: What you are trying to fix is not inherently a bad point. Knight Crush pulling off an OHKO for example is completely situational. To fire it off right when someone is in the corner. Similar case with Ring Boomerang. When is this a problem? When it's reliable to pull off. For example, v2 Slash Claw got hit with the nerf hammer because all you had to do to make an OHKO was to jump and aim down. That was a problem. Flame Sword being able to OHKO is a bigger issue than the weapons you are trying to unfairly nerf.

The reason why I am giving these suggestions is because I thought they weren't meant to OHKO, the only reason why I never named Flame Sword is because I thought it was meant to OHKO personally I agree that Flame Sword shouldn't OHKO. Also I've gotten OHKO'd by Knight Crush and especially Ring Boomerang in random cases (similar to Mega Ball where it just hits you regularly and it OHKO's for some reason) not only from standing in a corner and Ring Boomerang can only 2HKO on a corner at least that's the best I've ever gotten.