Advanced Search

Author Topic: Mega Man Awesome Network (intern positions available)  (Read 64641 times)

September 01, 2011, 11:54:06 AM
Reply #15

Offline Max

• MM8BDM Extender

• i ate those food
  • Date Registered: July 09, 2010, 08:10:13 PM

• View Profile
    • ??
Re: SmashBro's Wall of Bluepri-- I mean "Custom Classes"
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 11:54:06 AM »
Quote from: "SmashBroPlusB"
PROGRESS

I got charge shots to cooperate with me. Normal Style and Wood Custom's main fires have been completed. Might have to nerf Wood Custom's Twister though, the ripping attribute seems a little OP.

How do you stun players, like Spark Shock? (to complete Elec Shield's charge)
Damagetype "Shock"
What's the difference between Wave Burner and Flamethrower? (to complete Heat Support's charge)
Wave burner burns in a wave... flamethrower burns forward?
How do you make an "item" act like a weapon? (to start work on Battle Chips)
Item gives flag, flag is checked for in ready and jump to an attacking frame if it's there

Screenshots coming soon, I promise :cool:

I told you how to custom gauge bro

September 01, 2011, 01:37:37 PM
Reply #16

Offline xColdxFusionx

• MM8BDM MM&B Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 02, 2011, 01:07:17 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 01:37:37 PM »
Quote from: "Yellow Devil"
PROGRESS

I got charge shots to cooperate with me. Normal Style and Wood Custom's main fires have been completed. Might have to nerf Wood Custom's Twister though, the ripping attribute seems a little OP.

How do you stun players, like Spark Shock? (to complete Elec Shield's charge)
Damagetype "Shock"
What's the difference between Wave Burner and Flamethrower? (to complete Heat Support's charge)
Wave burner burns in a wave... flamethrower burns forward?
How do you make an "item" act like a weapon? (to start work on Battle Chips)
Item gives flag, flag is checked for in ready and jump to an attacking frame if it's there

Screenshots coming soon, I promise :cool:

I told you how to custom gauge bro

Bwah, why doesn't anyone use gold instead of yellow! Yellow hurts my eyes! >.>

But yeah, all those points are valid. The chips are probably going to be the most annoying part, though, considering you'd have to copypasta the code into every single MM.EXE class weapon...

September 01, 2011, 01:47:27 PM
Reply #17

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 01:47:27 PM »
Uhhh... not really. :geek:

The chips are ITEMS, remember? Therefore they can be given out to any Style Change (similar to how all Robot Master classes can pick up Eddie). I just have to define the random draws in the Custom Gauge subroutine, really. From there, I only need to create one chip per chip-type.

Oh yeah, can a non-ripping projectile hit more than one player (assuming it touches them at the same time)? I want to do Wide Sword first because it's the coolest. The problem is that Wide Sword always does the same "static" damage, whereas a weapon like Slash Claw seems to have "variable" damage based on how close you are when you attack, as well as how long the target is within your "claw range".

EDIT: Front page updated with sprite requests GO GO GO

September 01, 2011, 02:10:20 PM
Reply #18

Offline xColdxFusionx

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 02:10:20 PM »
The chips are ITEMS, remember? Therefore they can be given out to any Style Change (similar to how all Robot Master classes can pick up Eddie). I just have to define the random draws in the Custom Gauge subroutine, really. From there, I only need to create one chip per chip-type.

I meant "You have to copypasta the chip's attack code into every Style Change weapon."

And considering there's probably going to be a lot of chips in this by the time you're done?

Yeah, have fun with that.

September 01, 2011, 02:24:55 PM
Reply #19

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 02:24:55 PM »
Okay, now I'm utterly confused.

I want items to act like they're weapons. That means that I want to click the "Use Item" button like I'm using Item-1 but get a Mini Bomb instead. Last time I checked it's impossible to fire and alt-fire a weapon at the same time, so by the same logic it must be impossible to fire and "item-fire" at the same time. However, I want a player to be able to use a Battle Chip while they're charging their buster, or have a shield up.

Is this even possible at all?

Also @ColdFusion: I knew there were a large number of Battle Chips in the BN series when I first had this idea. So, instead of worrying my head off by trying to determine which chips to add, or how to balance them, I just decided to include general chip "types" into the project instead. Why bother with a Cannon, a Hi-Cannon, and an M-Cannon when you could just have one "neutral" Cannon? What's the point of having a Fire Sword and an Elec Sword when one "standard" Wide Sword would suffice?

There are only ten chip types as of now, most of which being based off of the second and third games (as they were the only games featuring Style Changes). They are Cannon, Mini Bomb, Wide Sword, Invis, Repel Aura, Yo-Yo, Air Shoes, Barrier, Navi Plus, and Recov 30. I might add a few more chip types from later BN games (Stone Body and Bubble Star should at least get a good laugh out of me) but for now I don't plan on extending it from the 10 I already have.

September 01, 2011, 02:37:45 PM
Reply #20

Offline xColdxFusionx

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 02:37:45 PM »
Okay, now I'm utterly confused.

I want items to act like they're weapons. That means that I want to click the "Use Item" button like I'm using Item-1 but get a Mini Bomb instead. Last time I checked it's impossible to fire and alt-fire a weapon at the same time, so by the same logic it must be impossible to fire and "item-fire" at the same time. However, I want a player to be able to use a Battle Chip while they're charging their buster, or have a shield up.

Is this even possible at all?

If you're planning on having the chip show an animation on your weapon when fired? Not really 100%. You could kind of fudge it, though, by having a flag jump in the Fire state as well as in the Ready state. Firing off a chip would delay the charge a bit, but it would give the desired effect (being able to fire off chips while charging).

Also @ColdFusion: I knew there were a large number of Battle Chips in the BN series when I first had this idea. So, instead of worrying my head off by trying to determine which chips to add, or how to balance them, I just decided to include general chip "types" into the project instead. Why bother with a Cannon, a Hi-Cannon, and an M-Cannon when you could just have one "neutral" Cannon? What's the point of having a Fire Sword and an Elec Sword when one "standard" Wide Sword would suffice?

I see your point here; combining chips to make less coding. In future updates, though, why not add multi-elemental swords and other variations?

There are only ten chip types as of now, most of which being based off of the second and third games (as they were the only games featuring Style Changes). They are Cannon, Mini Bomb, Wide Sword, Invis, Repel Aura, Yo-Yo, Air Shoes, Barrier, Navi Plus, and Recov 30. I might add a few more chip types from later BN games (Stone Body and Bubble Star should at least get a good laugh out of me) but for now I don't plan on extending it from the 10 I already have.

No Shotgun, V-spread, Bubbler, Meteor, FastCutsom, AirHockey...? I can see a lot of chips I would have fun coding and adding. Besides, even though it's 6 weapons you're putting the code into, it IS mostly just copy-and-paste.

I'd be glad to help code any chips that you have trouble with.

September 01, 2011, 02:51:30 PM
Reply #21

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
Re: SmashBro's Classes! (MegaMan.EXE making his sexy return)
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 02:51:30 PM »
The Shotgun family (includes V-Gun, Cross Gun, Spreader, Heat-V, Bubbler, and so on) is really just a weaker Cannon with splash damage added in. Sure the elemental Shotguns are nifty but I really don't see much of a difference. There's already a Cannon chip and Aqua Guts has a sort of "Bubbler" as his Charge Attack. (Yes I know it's not the same as BN's Bubbler but this is 8BDM, a lot of weapons had to be changed to make it work for 3D.)

God damn. How could I forget Air Hockey? *writes on to-do list*

Meteors could be very fun, indeed. I would imagine it being similar to the 8BDM Astro Crush, with smaller meteors but bigger fire explosions on contact. Also, the meteors need to stop early if the "summoning stick" gets destroyed, which would be pain-in-the-ass coding as far as I'm concerned.

Wood Custom has a built-in fast charging Custom Gauge so I don't see the point in a chip doing the same thing.

The problem with having multiple chip types is the chance of drawing a specific chip. If we put in a lot of nifty elemental Swords for instance then the chance of drawing a Recov 30 or some Air Shoes is decreased (since, y'know, we put in FIVE SWORDS).

Of course, I could just steal the Chaos Generator's code and make it possible to give out three DIFFERENT chips per draw, but I kind of liked being able to hold three Mini Bombs in case I screw up throwing the first one. Also, you would have to change items if you wanted to play a specific chip before another one, and like I said it's harder to hit someone in 8BDM than it is hitting a guy in a three-row 2D playing field. Dude, that's like a 33% hit chance in comparison to about 2% (assuming you were just firing wildly).

Thanks for your help (and your great suggestions), I really appreciate the time you're taking to assist me.
PLEASE DON'T STOP CHECKING THIS THREAD. EVER.

September 01, 2011, 03:24:51 PM
Reply #22

Offline xColdxFusionx

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 03:24:51 PM »
The Shotgun family (includes V-Gun, Cross Gun, Spreader, Heat-V, Bubbler, and so on) is really just a weaker Cannon with splash damage added in. Sure the elemental Shotguns are nifty but I really don't see much of a difference. There's already a Cannon chip and Aqua Guts has a sort of "Bubbler" as his Charge Attack. (Yes I know it's not the same as BN's Bubbler but this is 8BDM, a lot of weapons had to be changed to make it work for 3D.)

Duly noted. I just thought these deserved a mention.

God damn. How could I forget Air Hockey? *writes on to-do list*

It's AirHockey. You can't disrespect AirHockey

Meteors could be very fun, indeed. I would imagine it being similar to the 8BDM Astro Crush, with smaller meteors but bigger fire explosions on contact. Also, the meteors need to stop early if the "summoning stick" gets destroyed, which would be pain-in-the-ass coding as far as I'm concerned.

It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to do. Give the stick +SHOOTABLE, a "health bar", a "reactiontime", and a looping Ready state with A_CountDown.

Wood Custom has a built-in fast charging Custom Gauge so I don't see the point in a chip doing the same thing.

...It would make the custom gauge go even faster? ...This is a good point, and has been duly noted.

The problem with having multiple chip types is the chance of drawing a specific chip. If we put in a lot of nifty elemental Swords for instance then the chance of drawing a Recov 30 or some Air Shoes is decreased (since, y'know, we put in FIVE SWORDS).

Again, good point and duly noted, but you could always add different variations to other chips too (including possibly a "weak" (Recov 10) and "strong" (Recov 50) variation of certain chips.) This would make EXE more of a "lucky draw" class, which would make sense based on the concept, but be slightly trickier to balance. Mainly because you'd have to make sure the tiers aren't too large of a gap that weak ones would be useless and strong ones would be OP. I realize this isn't quite what you were planning for the first version, but I figured I'd put the idea out there in case you wanted to add this feature in the future.

Of course, I could just steal the Chaos Generator's code and make it possible to give out three DIFFERENT chips per draw, but I kind of liked being able to hold three Mini Bombs in case I screw up throwing the first one. Also, you would have to change items if you wanted to play a specific chip before another one, and like I said it's harder to hit someone in 8BDM than it is hitting a guy in a three-row 2D playing field. Dude, that's like a 33% hit chance in comparison to about 2% (assuming you were just firing wildly).

This probably won't be necessary, considering you could have duplicates in the MMBN series as well.

Thanks for your help (and your great suggestions), I really appreciate the time you're taking to assist me.
PLEASE DON'T STOP CHECKING THIS THREAD. EVER.

Glad I can help.
I won't.
[/size]

September 02, 2011, 09:22:20 AM
Reply #23

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 09:22:20 AM »
There's a line in 8BDM's charge weapons that I don't understand. They call for a certain script that I can't find anywhere in the standard Deathmatch PK3, and I have no idea what it does.

Code: [Select]
BUST B 1 ACS_ExecuteAlways(991,0,60)
BUST B 0 ACS_ExecuteAlways(991,0,3)

These lines were copied directly from Atomic Fire's charge code (though the sprites were changed to buster sprites). Similar lines are in Wild Coil and Noise Crush, but with different numbers in the 3rd slot.

What do these scripts do, and where are they located (so I can edit them for my weapon file)?

September 02, 2011, 09:59:11 AM
Reply #24

Offline Max

• MM8BDM Extender

• i ate those food

• View Profile
    • ??
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 09:59:11 AM »
991 is 998 without the weapon switch sound
It's used to change your colours while you're charging, but silently.

September 02, 2011, 10:44:04 AM
Reply #25

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 10:44:04 AM »
Alrighty, quick question.

How do I add charge color parameters to script 991? As in, where is it located, and where do I save it in my PK3?

September 02, 2011, 10:46:07 AM
Reply #26

Offline Max

• MM8BDM Extender

• i ate those food

• View Profile
    • ??
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 10:46:07 AM »
WCOLORS

991 and 998 are exactly the same

September 02, 2011, 05:26:11 PM
Reply #27

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2011, 05:26:11 PM »
I think I broke something.

I put in the first Battle Chip, the Cannon. I also tried adding custom graphics and weapon icons... but I can't get anything to work. (Okay that's a lie... the weapons and the chip fire just fine, but the weapon icons won't show up, and neither will the Battle Chip icon.) Would anyone mind telling me what I need to do to fix it?

Thanks.

September 02, 2011, 07:44:32 PM
Reply #28

Offline xColdxFusionx

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2011, 07:44:32 PM »
I think I broke something.

I put in the first Battle Chip, the Cannon. I also tried adding custom graphics and weapon icons... but I can't get anything to work. (Okay that's a lie... the weapons and the chip fire just fine, but the weapon icons won't show up, and neither will the Battle Chip icon.) Would anyone mind telling me what I need to do to fix it?

Thanks.

Taking a look now, will edit this when I find the problem

EDIT: "CANB" != "CANBC" . Make sure you double-check your texture names, please.

EDIT2: Darn, Ninja'd by Gummy.

EDIT3: Similar errors apply with "NRMWEP" vs "NRMW" and "CSTWEP" vs. "CSTW". Always make sure all your texture names line up.

September 02, 2011, 07:48:05 PM
Reply #29

Offline Gummywormz

• Standard Member

• Air Man Tile Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: December 23, 2010, 01:05:44 AM

• View Profile
    • Github Page
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2011, 07:48:05 PM »
It says CANBC instead of CANB, in the inventory.icon property of cannon chip.