Advanced Search

Author Topic: Please STOP radically re-designing all of your maps!  (Read 2888 times)

October 19, 2020, 09:44:01 PM
Read 2888 times

Offline T's Inventions

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 08, 2011, 03:01:18 AM

• View Profile
Please STOP radically re-designing all of your maps!
« on: October 19, 2020, 09:44:01 PM »
ok now, with just a few days before Version 6 comes out, I know it is exiting and all that, however there is one BIG issue I've been having with this game for years now, it is about dang time that we talk about this, and yes I regret not making this topic/post years ago, but better late than never I hope, so are you ready? ...

While I was learning how to be a game developer/designer over the years so I thought, when you design your maps, what you DON'T do with a game like this, is COMPLETELY re-design your maps the way so many countless mappers have been doing after "updates", BOTH for the core AND custom maps,
apparently those days are LONG gone, NOT TO ME, but apparently to so many of the mappers and dev's of/for this game today. At least that's the impression that I've been getting!

Maps that did it RIGHT (for the most part) since V2C: MM1GUT, MM1ELE, MM2CRA, MM2WOO, MM3SPA, MM3MAG, MM3HAR, MM4SKU, MM4DRI, MM4TOA, MM5GRA, MM5STO, MM5DAR.
Maps that did it WRONG (for the most part) since V2C: MM1DW2, MM2BUB, MM3SHA, MM4DIV, MM4BRI, MM4PHA, MM4RIN, MM5GYR, MM5CRY, MM5WAV, MM6CEN, MM6YAM, MM7FRE, MM7BUR, MM7CLO, MM7TUR.
Maps since V2C that I'm not sure about now: MM1CUT, MM1ICE, MM1BOM, MM1FIR, MM2HEA, MM2QUI, MM3GEM, MM7SPR.

( What you should also be doing, is find ways to add-in more unused textures from the original Mega Man games if there's any left. )
It's fine if you add-on some new part(s) to the map(s) and/or change not too many parts/things around, but NOT if you completely scrap the map(s) for no good reason at all!
Please STOP radically re-designing your maps the way you have been!  It is both so annoying and unnecessary!  To me for one, anyway...
Unless maybe if the map's quality is that of/near OZX when he first started 'mapping' for MM8BDM.

I can explain further if you really want me to, but there's only so much text I can type into here at a time, I just mainly wanted to finally get this topic started.
Please tell me I'm NOT the only one who has been bothered by this BIG issue of MM8BDM over these many years!

October 20, 2020, 12:26:54 AM
Reply #1

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
Re: Please STOP radically re-designing all of your maps!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 12:26:54 AM »
Being blunt? The overwhelming majority of the maps you just listed did get replaced for various legitimate reasons.

MM1DW2: Complaints about map size and camping within the tubes
MM2BUB: A confusing, twisty layout with spiked walls and hardly any room to maneuver around 128-length corridors
MM4DIV: Too open and huge with no significant landmarks for fighting and far too easy to snipe people with Dive Missile
MM4BRI: The old textures made it impossible to gather your bearings, not to mention it was 75% stairs with a pit in the middle
MM4PHA: Outside area added too much dead space, another area where homing weapons were problematic
MM4RIN: Massive, uninspired layout that was too unwieldly to play on for smaller groups (and the huge mapsize didn't do anything special)
MM5GYR: You could keep running forever because the map was gigantic, and people had issues with the skybox that couldn't be fixed easily without scrapping the layout
MM5CRY: A three-tiered nightmare that slowed matches to a crawl because people would jump through the teleporters so much, and the three tiers weren't great by themselves anyway
MM5WAV: Wavebike Camping unless you wanted to fight on three islands (if you mean the other one, another case of a huge map where people would still Wavebike Camp)
MM7FRE: The outside ring areas got a ton of complaints of being difficult to traverse, and the symmetrical, two-tiered design meant that it was hard to change positions
MM7BUR: Humongous, thin walkways with a confusing center that was a quicksand pit to get through
MM7TUR, MM7SPR: They were squares. Lousy, boring squares. Spring was especially egregious because it was just four hallways of springs with... a middle platform, surrounded by springs.

That's not to say people didn't have any fun on these maps while they were still in the game or that they didn't have ANY good points, but they weren't just replaced for no reason for the most part. A good chunk of the maps you listed were axed from online play rotations because of their flaws. A lot of times, they get replaced or changed because mappers think they can execute a better concept using the gimmicks or they can make a more interesting or less confusing layout. The core team's shown more often than not that they're right when they do decide to remake maps in updates, so I think it's far better that they don't just stick with what's been in there because "that's how it's always been".

October 20, 2020, 01:12:19 AM
Reply #2

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 01:12:19 AM »
I can explain further if you really want me to, but there's only so much text I can type into here at a time, I just mainly wanted to finally get this topic started.

Thanks to something SmashBroPlusB(?) did like five-six years ago (A mafia I think?), Ivory raised the word limit to something like 12k. That translates to approximately 24 pages of writing. You're never going to hit that limit in a "reasonable" post without being a spambot.

October 20, 2020, 02:15:15 AM
Reply #3

Offline Watzup7856

• MM8BDM Extender

• You're nothing but peppered asscheeks to me
  • Date Registered: July 03, 2011, 01:53:12 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.cutstuff.net/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=992
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 02:15:15 AM »
So I wasn't gonna respond because I honestly think this is just a bad take and that the tone of your post just sounded way too opinionated, but I wanna justify every map you listed that did it wrong. Also I think it'll be fun to reminisce in some of the earlier versions of maps

MM1DW2: I didn't mind the OG map too much, but the newer one has better direction going with it. Especially the underwater section being way more open and free unlike the ring the OG one had

MM2BUB: This map was such a chore to do fucking anything in. Huge underwater maze with random spikes and shit thrown in. This map had absolutely no place in it to actually scrap and fight. Newest version has an actual focus to it that still retained some of the maze aspects the OG had

MM3SHA: OG Shadow wasn't so bad, but the newest version just has a better focus of what the mapper wanted it to be instead of it just being an arena map

MM4DIV: You got me fucked up if you think anyone had any fun on OG Dive. Holy shit this map was easily one of the worst maps in core. Just random geometry the map THAT'S ALL UNDERWATER

MM4BRI: This map was just super boring with no real focus to it at all. By the way, wtf was with that random pit in the middle????

MM4PHA: Another really bad OG map in my opinion. The outside was just very uninspired and frustrating to try to find and attack opponents. Inside was just too cramped too

MM4RIN: Circle camp the map. Just super unfun to try to chase and fight people

MM5GYR: HUUUGE open ended map that just like OG Ring, it was also just unfun to actually try to chase and fight opponents

MM5CRY: Cut off sections in a single map is just not a good idea for this game. Way too unfun to try to chase people down. CSCM's version was way worse with the teleporters. A map doesn't have to retain a gimmick or idea from the original game to still be fun. Functionality is way the fuck more important

MM5WAV: Ok so I liked OG Wave a lot as it was just dumb fun. but then it changed to Beed's version which I didn't think was very good. Both these maps were too overcentralized on it's gimmick being the wave bikes. The reason Dood's version is so good now is because it has better direction of it's map than the other 2. Not to mention that the gimmicks were incorporated way better as they were not over centralized like in the other 2

MM6CEN: Oh god thinking about this map again gives me anxiety. Just the "pit" section under the water section was just a huge trap. You either take the super sketchy 2 way teleporter and hope to god you don't get telefragged, or you jump up the 24 thousand flights of jump stairs while being shot at. No thanks fam, I'll take new Centaur any day

MM6YAM: I can't conceive of an understanding of how someone thinks this maps slight redesign was bad. The one room that was replaced in this map was connected SOLELY by ladders and was so disconnected from the rest of the map. Not only does the new room flow and play way the fuck better than OG's, but it's a million times more aesthetically pleasing too

MM7FRE: OG map also gave me anxiety. Just being in the bottom ice section was such a pain, and the only way to get back up was to either go all the way around to the front or take the 2 ladders at the bottom

MM7BUR: This map was just a circle. Very uninspired and boring

MM7CLO: I didn't think OG Cloud was bad, it was OK but not great. Then CSCM's version replaced it and I honestly at one point forgot that it was in the game because nobody wanted to play on this shitty map. Newest version has better focus and utilized the wind gimmick nicely

MM7TUR: OG Turbo was really boring and uninspired to me. Plus the whole outside being a track for the roaders made going outside such a pain to do anything outside. Also you got me fucked up if you don't think new Turbo is the absolute shit, that map is so good