Advanced Search

Author Topic: Hosting With Flair: Hosting Knowhow  (Read 5297 times)

June 11, 2011, 03:59:32 AM
Read 5297 times

Offline -RanRan

• Warrior
  • Date Registered: January 02, 2011, 07:12:13 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/MizoretiRandemz?feature=mhum
Hosting With Flair: Hosting Knowhow
« on: June 11, 2011, 03:59:32 AM »
Howdy, guise. I believe we're all familiar with each other now, so let's be on with it, eh?

We all are impressed when the host of the server is entertaining a large crowd. Even more so when they can do things like server events.
(click to show/hide)

Now, if only Skulltag's "Usually" useful wiki wasn't f*#$ing useless with the 404'ing, we'd know how to do these amazing things as well, right?

Therefore, my smart* brain thought of this: A Thread where we could share command consoling/binding at its best, and a place where coders** can show us how we*** can employ such magic for ourselves!

Starting with: How to "give" players in a game a rune/sphere/wep, without having cheats enabled from the get go, and what all the lines mean?

*When he's not raging. **SSW, Terrorsphere ***The ones too lazy to figure it out. All these were added for dramatic derp. Herp. c:

June 11, 2011, 04:17:43 AM
Reply #1

Offline Gummywormz

• Standard Member

• Air Man Tile Enthusiast
  • Date Registered: December 23, 2010, 01:05:44 AM

• View Profile
    • Github Page
Re: Hosting With Flair: Hosting Knowhow
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 04:17:43 AM »
I don't think you can give players runes and stuff without cheats, but here's a random event thing:

Set falling damage (hexen) and go to a stage with a high ceiling. (mm2dw1) Set sv_gravity to -800, then after a few seconds, set it to 800.

June 11, 2011, 04:19:56 AM
Reply #2

Offline SaviorSword

• Standard Member

• Yar har, fiddle dee dee...
  • Date Registered: January 01, 2011, 02:13:30 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 04:19:56 AM »
Quote from: "Gummywormz"
I don't think you can give players runes and stuff without cheats, but here's a random event thing:

Set falling damage (hexen) and go to a stage with a high ceiling. (mm2dw1) Set sv_gravity to -800, then after a few seconds, set it to 800.

Messin' with gravity is my signature thin' for me to do in my server! And crouch too  :p
Also Ranran, Mess has coded somethin' that allows him to give such runes and whatnot (my best guess). Best go ask him.

June 11, 2011, 04:46:12 AM
Reply #3

Offline Asd967

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor
  • Date Registered: November 01, 2010, 03:59:45 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 04:46:12 AM »
Quote from: "-RanRan"
How to "give" players in a game a rune/sphere/wep, without having cheats enabled from the get go, and what all the lines mean?

Basically.

Script # (Activator[Probably ENTER])
{
GiveInventory(RageRune,1); //Or any other rune you want
}

There.

June 11, 2011, 05:46:26 AM
Reply #4

Offline -RanRan

• Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 05:46:26 AM »
Quote from: "SaviorSword"
Quote from: "Gummywormz"

Messin' with gravity is my signature thin' for me to do in my server! And crouch too  :p
Also Ranran, Mess has coded somethin' that allows him to give such runes and whatnot (my best guess). Best go ask him.
I have tried dis on Skype. He did not respond. He is most likely hard at work for making his wads compatible with v2[x].

Also, that is a wondiferrous explanation, KY! Now, if only I knew where to stick this line in at.. :T

June 11, 2011, 07:06:04 PM
Reply #5

Offline Asd967

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 07:06:04 PM »
Where do you put it?
Well.
Depends of what you want to do...
If you want to work only in one map, you put the script on Doom Builder's ACS editor, it'll automatically input the code for your map, and your map ONLY.
Now, if you want to do a gamemode or something similar, create a file on a pk3 or wad and put it there, then make a LOADACS lump and include your ACS lump there.

Make sure of two things:
The script number should be unique, or it will replace other scripts that may be in use; (from 1 to 10 is usually safe for maps. More than that is usually unnecessary. Check the GLOBAL acs lump to see what numbers of ACS Mike's using for 8BDM, or you'll end up bugging the game) likewise, the method of activating the script is something you need to pay attention.
For more information on script activating, refer to: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Script_types

June 12, 2011, 03:33:18 AM
Reply #6

Offline -RanRan

• Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 03:33:18 AM »
Wonderous. Now, as the RCON/Host of the server, is there any way that I could be able to trigger said script and disable it as well, KY?

June 12, 2011, 03:50:34 AM
Reply #7

Offline SaviorSword

• Standard Member

• Yar har, fiddle dee dee...
  • Date Registered: January 01, 2011, 02:13:30 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 03:50:34 AM »
As long ya could input the right commands to trigger it, there should be ways to "disable" it too. "Disable" is not the best of word choice here.

June 12, 2011, 04:50:16 AM
Reply #8

Offline Asd967

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 04:50:16 AM »
Disable?
You could make the script work by puking it on the server...
Or you could make a gamemode that only works when you use buckshot/instagib.
For puking scripts:
Go on the server window and digit "Puke (Script number)" this console command will make it so the ACS with the same number executes.
But only servers/rcon can puke ACS scripts that haven't the "net" tag, which means for that script to work you'll need to be always present, puking it over and over.
Or you can make it a gamemode.

June 12, 2011, 05:29:36 AM
Reply #9

Offline SickSadWorld

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor
  • Date Registered: December 03, 2010, 07:35:28 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 05:29:36 AM »
Quote from: "-RanRan"
Starting with: How to "give" players in a game a rune/sphere/wep, without having cheats enabled from the get go, and what all the lines mean?

Code: [Select]
#library "haxor"
#include "zcommon.acs"

script 29 (void) net
{
  if (CheckInventory("RuneDoubleFiringSpeed")==0) {
    GiveInventory("RageRune",1);
terminate;
  }
  if (CheckInventory("RuneDoubleFiringSpeed")==1) {
    TakeInventory("RuneDoubleFiringSpeed",1);
  }
}

Note the special 'net' type. This is required to use it without sv_cheats active.

Use 'puke 29' to enable rage rune and 'puke 29' again to disable.

The reason you have to check for "RuneDoubleFiringSpeed" is explained here
http://zdoom.org/wiki/CheckInventory

"The function will return the number of items the actor carries. Keep in mind that for active powerups, you cannot check for the pickup item. You have to check for the internal Powerup item. "

June 12, 2011, 04:39:34 PM
Reply #10

Offline Mr. Sean Nelson

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 30, 2010, 06:37:59 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 04:39:34 PM »
Oh, good.
I was trying to re-learn some old RCON tricks, and I couldn't access the site.
This is a good idea!

June 13, 2011, 10:46:55 AM
Reply #11

Offline -RanRan

• Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 10:46:55 AM »
Now, here's where I'm having a an issue in my coding skills. Again.

On this line where it says it is an empty script, would I be able to write in as many lines as I could code in?

I send an image with it, because of the need to visualize it for you.

(click to show/hide)

June 13, 2011, 04:48:01 PM
Reply #12

Offline Asd967

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 04:48:01 PM »
If I were you, I'd use a script that isn't on the main PK3.
You can use any script, but keep in mind anything you overwrite will take over the old script.
And don't even try modifying the main PK3, or you'll have problems with versions.

June 14, 2011, 10:13:07 AM
Reply #13

Offline -RanRan

• Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 10:13:07 AM »
After consulting another source and someone I know has experience with script-writing, I've attempted to write a simple .pk3 script location. Here is my first result before I tested it.

(click to show/hide)

*EDIT*
I figured out that it wasn't complied. Now I will retest it, as of 7:31 EST. [7:32]

After testing it more than 30 times, the script will not work. [7:43]

*EDIT* 6/15/11
There must be something I'm doing wrong in the line compiling, or something wrong with the lines I'm sending it to.
Here is the information in the .pk3  I created, under the name ServerEventControl. When I attempt to test it, it says that the LOADACS is protected, and it will not allow anyone to access the server without it, including me.
(click to show/hide)

July 16, 2011, 06:43:46 AM
Reply #14

Offline -RanRan

• Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 06:43:46 AM »
Bump.

Since while in a Skype Chat SSW has given me a working form of my faild .wad, I open this to the public to propose anything their hosting mind inquire.

*EDIT* 6/16/11

People have been having problems with Skulltag hosting, most of it being the result of  port-forwarding. I once before had this problem, until I read on the Skulltag Dev Forums about their solution to this.

-UPNP

This will enable the Automatic Skulltag Port-forwarding. I will show you where this goes and how to check for it being enabled.

*Warning * - This May Or May Not Be More Suited for A Tutorial ~ Contact Me Later By PM If You Wish To Have More Details.

In the DoomSeeker Launcher after clicking Create Server, several tabs appear. under Custom Parameter (A.K.A Tab Command Line) enter in the Skulltag Portwarding code.

Compare yours to mine. Is it the same? Yes? Let's continue.
(click to show/hide)

Now, to be sure this is activated, Skulltag will announce in your server line after it has been started that your server is being forwarded.
If you have map pre-loaded onto the settings, it'll be right before them. If not, it'll be the last thing before user generated things appear from in game server play.

(click to show/hide)

If anyone needs to know how to host, this is excellent information to have when you host on DoomSeeker. Sadly, I have been informed it faild more often than not on others who did this before. I don't know why.