Advanced Search

Author Topic: Stratergies you use for weapons in MM8BDM  (Read 8306 times)

April 30, 2013, 08:30:29 PM
Reply #30

Offline Dataman

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 16, 2013, 11:34:28 PM

• View Profile
Re: Stratergies you use for weapons in MM8BDM
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 08:30:29 PM »
Let's just say... If you see me online with Water Balloon, RUN. my strategy for that is just W+M1ing, and mowing down anything in my path. I used to play Pyro in TF2, maybe it comes from that?

April 30, 2013, 08:36:39 PM
Reply #31

Offline rtist

• Warrior
  • Date Registered: January 27, 2011, 08:54:21 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 08:36:39 PM »
In terms of strategies for weapon use, it depends on three things:

1) The map's geography
2) The weapon selection in a map
3) The opponents and what they are doing

In terms of the map, weapon use can depend on whether someone is occupying high ground or someone is on low ground. If you're on high ground (and I define high ground as a setup where an opponent cannot jump up to your platform in one jump), explosive weapons that affect a wide area (Drill Bomb, Ballade Cracker, etc) may be best. If on the low ground, try to get Ice Wave or Search Snake to attack the high ground more effectively. Also know that Super Arm flies in a parabolic arc, and could also be a good low ground weapon.

In terms of weapons, you cannot rely on a single favorite weapon, since no one weapon is available on any map (outside of the mega buster!). Were this the case, I'd just go after Atomic Fire on every map! It tends to be a good idea to develop a familiarity with 5-6 weapons, and then try to get those weapons while you're on a particular map. Develop familiarity with both fast weapons (Quick Boomerang, Yamato Spear, Ring Boomerang, etc.), power weapons (Super Arm, Atomic Fire, Ballade Cracker, etc.), and other weapons in between (Rain Flush, for instance).

In terms of opponent tactics, that can dictate how a person plays. When I use Atomic Fire, for instance, people generally run away from me. What they don't understand is that Atomic Fire takes time to prepare, and is vulnerable to close combat (Slash Claw, Flame Sword, etc.) or fast weapons. If a person wants to fight in close, it may be better to keep ones distance. If an opponent wants to keep their distance, then it may be better to engage the opponent at close range.

Also, traps may abound. If you're running away from an opponent, try doubling back to catch the opponent off guard. This is best done after falling off of cliffs or rounding corners. Any place where the opponent loses sight of you is a good place to try this.

The biggest dynamic in the game in opposing tactics is fast weapons vs. power weapons. If an opponent is using power weapons against you, getting in close is best. If using power weapons, keeping a moderate range may be a better bet. Geography can make all the difference here. Remember: fast weapons tend to be better close range tools, whereas power weapons typically need a moderate range to be effective.

Also, try to vary your tactics against opponents, so people have a harder time discerning what you do against them. A good player can be unpredictable in battle and disguise their tactics. Repeated use of the same tactic may not be effective, especially if opponents adjusts and compensates in the middle of battle.

May 01, 2013, 01:49:40 AM
Reply #32

Offline Mendez

• MM8BDM Extender

• Yesterday's World
  • Date Registered: July 25, 2010, 05:23:05 AM

• View Profile
    • My Youtube (BlueBrawl)
Dool is for loooosers. Or elitists. Or jerks. Take your pick
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2013, 01:49:40 AM »
For DM, just spam the weapon that will does the quickest/most powerful damage and you're golden.
For CTF, just spam the weapon that does the quickest damage and you're golden.
TLMS is a little more difficult to play in since you're given a limited amount of ammo and weapons. I can't give a solid strategy, other than to just be well-acquainted with each weapon and don't find yourself fighting from a corner.
After playing a loads of duels, I've come to adopt a couple of strategies that help me survive against most opponents. Or, at least if I'm going to lose, make the matches last a hell of a long time.
1. Move smart.
The designers of all these maps put a lot of time into their work for a reason. They want players to know the advantages/disadvantages of each route and to use all the weapons wisely. I make sure I've got at least 3 different routes to take and have at least 4 weapons in my arsenal. If you find yourself in a firefight, you'll always have an escape route. Or better yet, you'll have the right weapon for the situation. One example I can think of is when I find myself fighting in MM4DC1. It's always better for me to be near the center or near Crash Bomb, since I'll always find myself near health or close to different routes.

2. Control possession (of the health).
Barcelona FC always maintains possession of the ball, and that (usually) stops the other team from scoring on them. After all, how can you score goals if you don't have the ball? In every duel I've played, I've always made it a priority to keep myself with at least 90 hp and try to stop the opponent from recovering after a firefight. This usually means getting to the health capsules before they do. After all, how can they kill you if you're always getting health? (OHKO weapons not included)

3. Be the jack of all trades.
It's cool if you're hot stuff with Atomic Fire or Super Arm. But what about a map like MM3NEE or MM5CRY? At that point, it really helps to have good experience with most of the weapons in the game. At that point, you'll never find yourself at a disadvantage because you'll know what weapon is perfect for which situation. Of course, I always have a powerful/quick weapon at hand, but it never hurts to stock up on weapons like Water Wave or Spark Shock. There's always one situation where those weapons come in handy.

May 01, 2013, 02:11:03 AM
Reply #33

Offline Orange juice :l

• Warrior
  • Date Registered: October 10, 2010, 08:41:18 PM

• View Profile
    • http://cutstuff.net/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=590
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2013, 02:11:03 AM »
Thunder Bolt, Yamato Spear, and Freeze Cracker are so very underrated. If you can aim them and chase properly, forward assault will nearly always result in success.

May 01, 2013, 12:30:54 PM
Reply #34

Offline MagnetMan497

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 13, 2010, 04:48:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 12:30:54 PM »
Quote from: "Orange juice :l"
Thunder Bolt, Yamato Spear, and Freeze Cracker are so very underrated. If you can aim them and chase properly, forward assault will nearly always result in success.
Yamato Spear is definitely not underrated. I see people using it all the time. It's very fast, has ripping qualities and does a lot of damage. Blizzard Attack on the other hand is a weapon I like to use in close combat that is pretty underrated.

May 01, 2013, 08:51:10 PM
Reply #35

Offline Orange juice :l

• Warrior
  • Date Registered: October 10, 2010, 08:41:18 PM

• View Profile
    • http://cutstuff.net/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=590
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2013, 08:51:10 PM »
People using it all the time is still underrated, considering all its power. :ugeek:

May 02, 2013, 12:32:03 AM
Reply #36

Offline SmashTheEchidna

• Standard Member

• AKA Smash Corliss
  • Date Registered: December 07, 2010, 09:25:12 PM

• View Profile
    • http://fandedication.4umer.com/
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2013, 12:32:03 AM »
I like Freeze Cracker and Thunder Bolt. Thunder Bolt especially, since it has a better hitstun.

May 02, 2013, 12:59:09 AM
Reply #37

Offline Kapus

• MM8BDM Extender

• Master of Hiccup
  • Date Registered: November 22, 2010, 06:40:07 AM

• View Profile
    • My art
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2013, 12:59:09 AM »
Freeze Cracker is by far the most underrated weapon in the game.