Advanced Search

Author Topic: MaGMML2 (Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest 2!)  (Read 12034 times)

October 02, 2016, 06:40:42 PM
Read 12034 times

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
MaGMML2 (Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest 2!)
« on: October 02, 2016, 06:40:42 PM »
Hey Mega Man fans! Who's ready to prove they're better at game design than I am?

Official Thread on Sprites Inc

I'm the messenger here but I'll try to summarize this as best I can.

Once upon a time the first Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest came out and brought a unique flavor to the fan game scene. Over thirty unique levels to explore with a strong set of robot master weapons, and a bunch of nods and clever ideas that both paid homage to the classic series and aimed to expand on it in a few ways. The coolest part about the original MaGMMLC was how much there was for the outsider to do - the player was given enough through a shop, hub world, and nonlinear progression to help make the player feel invested in the competition.

That said, it wasn't perfect. The weapon selection wasn't particularly well rounded, and the engine itself had a number of bugs.

However, the sequel aims to fix on these issues with the introduction of the new Mega Engine! Written by the user WreckingPrograms for easy use in Game Maker 8.1 and Game Maker Studio, the new engine will iron out the performance issues and provide a more authentic experience than the engine MaGMMLC1 ran on.
In addition, weapon selection ran on numerous polls to ensure the player's arsenal would be more well rounded throughout the levels.

They are as follows:
Hornet Chaser
Jewel Satellite
Grab Buster
Triple Blade
Flash Stopper
Slash Claw
Wheel Cutter
Sakugarne
Rush Coil, Rush Jet, Super Arrow, Wire Adaptor

So in order to jump in, I'd recommend keeping an eye on the Official Discord for news on how the project is coming along and to get help with designing your level.

I'll make another post again when the devkit has been released, because by then all contestants will have exactly one month to make a level!
From that point I assume you just send everything to SnoruntPyro but I'll keep you all informed.

So get to brainstorming, and let's help make the largest fangame in Mega Man history something to remember!

October 02, 2016, 06:54:17 PM
Reply #1

Offline Yoshiatom

• Standard Member

• Procrastination Woman
  • Date Registered: May 29, 2016, 07:59:25 PM

• View Profile
    • Check out the award-winning COP MARIO today!
Re: MaGMML2 (Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest 2!)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 06:54:17 PM »
Ohh this seems interesting.

Few questions though: Is there anything we will need other than the devkit? (since you mention Game Maker and the Mega Engine), will we be able to have our own enemies and bosses or will be restricted to ones shipped with the kit? And since this is a contest, are there any specific judging parameters or is it just a case of "the level people liked most wins"?

*starts cobbling up crazy ideas*

October 02, 2016, 07:08:06 PM
Reply #2

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 07:08:06 PM »
Quote from: Yoshiatom
Is there anything we will need other than the devkit? (since you mention Game Maker and the Mega Engine)
You can practice with the editor before the devkit comes out by exploring the Mega Engine in Game Maker, but once the devkit comes out that'll be all.
Pretty sure Game Maker's a constant though. You can get Game Maker 8.1 for free and it's pretty easy to set up though.

Will we be able to have our own enemies and bosses or will be restricted to ones shipped with the kit?
You can, but they're not required. The kit will come with a large number of assets from MM1 - MM6, so using those for level design or for reference in coding new enemies / bosses is encouraged.

Are there any specific judging parameters or is it just a case of "the level people liked most wins"?
The contest has a panel of judges, but I'm not too sure what their criteria is. Rule of thumb is probably just "whatever feels most at home in a Mega Man game" is rated higher. Ask SnoruntPyro or one of the other judges for specifics.

October 02, 2016, 07:18:36 PM
Reply #3

Offline JohnVyttalRay

• Standard Member

• The flames of justice are eternal
  • Date Registered: September 12, 2016, 08:03:55 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 07:18:36 PM »
So this is a contest about making mm levels, but what will happen to the victor?

February 04, 2017, 03:53:28 AM
Reply #4

Offline Entity1037

• Standard Member

• That One Person Who Does Things
  • Date Registered: February 04, 2017, 03:39:05 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 03:53:28 AM »
Since Sprites Inc is down, I guess the MFGG thread is going to become the main thread for MaGMML 2 since it's the only other thread with all of the rules and stuff in the OP. Here's a link: http://forums.mfgg.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19662

Also, Pyro has said that if Sprites Inc stays down for too long, that the contest deadline may be extended until around February 18th instead of the 13th.

February 04, 2017, 04:27:17 AM
Reply #5

Offline edencrafty126

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: March 16, 2016, 04:31:08 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 04:27:17 AM »
okay then

February 06, 2017, 04:49:30 PM
Reply #6

Offline Entity1037

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 04:49:30 PM »
Sprites Inc has been fixed and is now up again!

February 20, 2017, 12:48:04 AM
Reply #7

Offline Entity1037

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 12:48:04 AM »
Alright, the on-time levels have been submitted to the judges for judging. The late levels will be taken until the 28th, and will be later sent to the judges after then.