Cutstuff > Events

Cutstuff Mapping Jam 6: Green Eggs and Jam

(1/10) > >>

Dr. Freeman:
Cutstuff Mapping Jam 6: Green Eggs and Jam

thanks pegg for making this while i was away

Hello everyone, it's Dr. Freeman and welcome to the sixth Cutstuff Mapping Jam! It's been some time since the last one but with V6 being done with development, now's the perfect time to get this show back on the road! Normally this event happens in the summer, but with the drought since last time and the new expansion fresh from the oven, now's a better time than ever. The actual mapping phase will likely be a little longer to compensate for taking place at a different time in the year.

If you don't know what the mapping jam is, allow me to explain. The short of it is that the community gets together to make some nice new maps! As always, this isn't just an event for veteran mappers only, but for newcomers and veterans alike. If you've ever sat down and thought, "Man, I'd like to make a map for this game" this might be the time!

As always, this event will be broken down into two phases. The first phase will last just a little over two weeks and will consist of making a map piece (more details will be found below). These map pieces will act as your sign up. Once all of the map pieces are in, everyone will be given two random map pieces made by other users and have to make a map with those pieces! Naturally, you'll be given a few months to get this done because it's no fun rushing people.
In the past, phase 2 also had some other rules attached to it to spice things up a little bit. But given the long amount of time between events, I figure it's best to keep things simple this go around so people can get back in the swing of things (or try it for the first time).

Anyhow, there are some guidelines that must be followed for the map piece phase, which are listed below! (And totally not copy/pasted from last time)

(click to show/hide)-Map Pieces can be no bigger than 1024x1024 units. This doesn't mean it has to be a perfect square. As long as it fits within those units.

-Keep textures simple. You aren't keeping these pieces anyway so don't go to town on aesthetics. Whoever gets your piece can do some of that!

-Pieces will be quality controlled and possibly rejected for the following reasons.

The map piece is just a big empty square.
    Incredibly convoluted with a ton of 3D floors. (We're trying to make something that people can implement, not an entire map on its own)
    It's straight up unplayable

If you have ANY concerns about your map piece as you're making it, please contact me and I'll do my best to help you out!

-Please refrain from adding scripts, weapons, and items to your piece. Adding a full fledged gimmick to a map piece is a little crazy, and weapons and items can easily be subject to change in the final map. People are also able to add their own gimmicks and whatnot to the map pieces when creating the final map.

We'll talk about the second phase guidelines once we get there!

As an aside, given that V6 is out, anyone who has made a map for Jam is free to edit it to either change some things around if they desire, or even replace some of the weapons with the new MM10 and MMV weapons. Only if you want, of course.

As I said above, submitting a map piece is how you sign up and you won't be able to participate if you don't submit one! So the next two weeks are more or less just the sign up period.

All map pieces are to be submitted to me either by PM on Cutstuff or over Discord (you can find me at Freems#2222). Map piece submissions will close on Sunday, November 15th at 11:59 PM EST. Once that's done we'll give out the map pieces and get to work on phase 2!

That should wrap things up for now! If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer! Let's get this jam cooking!

LlamaHombre:
As per usual, I'll be participating. Looking forward to seeing what everyone's got to offer!

Watzup7856:
LETS FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PinjewIsHere:
By map pieces, do you mean just sectors? Or do you mean the map cannot be over that size?
Either way I'll probably join in just to see how things go.

Yoshiatom:
"Man I'm sure glad NaNoWADMo is pretty much over and I now don't have to worry about doing Doom mapping" - me, a fool completly unaware of this

That being said I'm totally gonna try taking part in this. making a 1024x1024 map peice seems easy enough and two weeks gives me plenty of time to get my bearings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version