Advanced Search

Author Topic: LlamaHombre's One-Off Maps (Current: guest MM2QUI updates)  (Read 4909 times)

October 26, 2021, 03:17:27 AM
Read 4909 times

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
LlamaHombre's One-Off Maps (Current: guest MM2QUI updates)
« on: October 26, 2021, 03:17:27 AM »
Hey, LlamaHombre here. I made the CMCP04 (Echelon and Flow) map present in Sweatpack and Catalyst Series 1, I'm as of writing this post still in judging for the TTT map competition for the map I made with my bestie Thunderono, and in general I'm continuing to make maps that I grow increasingly more fond of and proud of as time moves on. So as per tradition, I'm looking back on pretty much every old map I've ever made with an iron pick and breaking them into my new standards! yayyy

Thankfully a good number of my core maps are ones that I hold in relatively-to-high regard, with MM2DW2 being a staple in both casual and comp play since its v5a overhaul (no changes needed there) and MM9TOR being my baby, my favorite map I've ever made (that I would still probably poke at just a little haha). Bringing my old maps up to my modern day practices and whatnot is something I enjoy doing a lot and I figured this time I'd share what I've got just for public discussion and to try and get things in a hunky-dory space. I have just one map today but I'll probably update with some other ones later on down the line, or put anything here that I don't think quite fits into REALPack (which you should also check out, since the maps in it are great!).

This is all just a whole bunch of words saying "I really wanted to make bubbleman better without designing a brand new underwater map jesus christ so here's what I've got" lol

(click to show/hide)

I did design this as a direct replacement, but do think it is a dramatic change from the existing map both visually and structurally so I'm releasing it first and foremost as its own thing. If it makes it into core, great! If not then I still don't regret doing this, I'm a very big fan of how it turned out. Hopefully you all are too! Let me know.

Credit to Molly for some of the extra tiles used here, I think they look great and match the existing NES tiles about as well as anyone would hope. Credit to TrojanHorse711 for the swing version of Bubble Man's theme used in the map, I think it fits the "fresh coat of paint" feel I had while working on this map.

Download: https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=lh-testingmapupdates-v2.pk3

October 02, 2022, 11:37:25 PM
Reply #1

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
Re: LlamaHombre's One-Off Maps (Current: MM10DW3 updates)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 11:37:25 PM »
Updating this topic with some some changes-in-testing for MM10DW3 - Wily Station Ascent. This is a map I actually sometimes see in servers, but one that has a bit of grime on it. I blame a lot of that on not 100% knowing what I wanted this map to be when I started out, and going along with it even after having a fuller picture in mind.

Main changes:
- General terrain update: map height is overall shorter, jumps still create valuable routes but not as mandatory to get around. Moving around should be way more fun now
- Two new areas on the north and southeast sides to make traversal easier and less chokepointy
- Cut down on number of cross-map sightlines to better promote fights and cqc
- Water layer slightly reworked, traded a couple of open holes in the main path for glass chutes along the side
- Teleporter leads directly to BHB instead of in the water section

(click to show/hide)

For my own convenience, I'm bundling this with MM2BUB2 above for a couple reasons.
1) These are all tests and not finalized (I will return to MM2BUB2 when I have time / will), and having a .pk3 name more indicative of that helps.
2) I'd like to eventually get around to other experiments (MM10COM comes to mind) and having all that in one spot also helps.

Download: https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=lh-testingmapupdates-v2.pk3

November 03, 2022, 03:25:09 AM
Reply #2

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
Re: LlamaHombre's One-Off Maps (Current: guest MM2QUI updates)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 03:25:09 AM »
Updating this topic with a guest star appearance from MM2QUI - Quick Man.
I'm mostly going to be stepping out of the way here and letting my REALPack partner Thunder explain what's going on, but I'm here mostly to explain why it's here. In short, he made this and wanted to get some testing + feedback going into v6b and later versions of core, but didn't want to add yet another map wad to servers. It makes sense to me, and since my trust in him as a mapper and a person is unflappable, it's going in here. This is probably going to be a one-time thing, so don't expect random updates to other non-LlamaHombre maps in the future.
Next version of this pack will include updates to MM10DW3, MM2BUB2 (aiming to eventually remove the "2"), and maybe more, but I haven't had time for any of that yet. So for now, enjoy the bonus! I sure do.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

November 03, 2022, 04:05:25 AM
Reply #3

Offline Thunderono

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• The Treaded Treasury
  • Date Registered: December 04, 2010, 11:20:27 PM

• View Profile
    • KHAN
Re: LlamaHombre's One-Off Maps (Current: guest MM2QUI updates)
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 04:05:25 AM »
Thanks to Llama for letting me piggyback here.  I'm probably not going to make a habit out of this; I had wanted to update MM2QUI anyway, but I wanted to get the changes out ahead of time.  Seeing how MM2BUB2 and now MM10DW3 have been handled, though, I figured people would want to host it, so to ease the burden on hosts I asked Llama if I could slip my map in here.  I don't have any other maps in core that I plan to do this for.

Similar disclaimer to Llama's that, while I'm not a member of the core team, I do intend for these changes to go into core for v6b.  Whether or not they actually do is out of my hands, but the feedback I've received from some members of the core team so far has been positive.

I wanted to take a moment to go over where my head was at while making these changes.  MM2QUI has a strong historical context in 8BDM, and while it definitely had a lot of problems, I wanted to keep its overall identity intact while addressing the pain points.  I'll be going over what I've heard and observed, my updates, and how the two relate.

To start, here's the raw changelog for anyone who just wants to know the difference.
(click to show/hide)

Alright, so let's get to the nitty gritty.  For anyone who's unaware, my name is on MM2QUI because I used a concept SmashBro came up with to drastically modify the existing MM2QUI.  At the time, my focus was primarily on making the quick beams consistent, as previously they fired entirely randomly.  While the map was modified by other users after the fact in ways that I feel were to its detriment, I think it's existed in an "it's fine" state for a while.  That being said, it's clear most people aren't fans of the version in core.

The two complaints I heard the most were:
-The map is too flat.
-The lack of null walls lets floorhuggers and flying classes terrorize matches.

Additionally, from my experience on the map, I identified the following problems:
-The southwest corners are pointless, offering no real advantage and having the worst flow on the map.
-The southern half of the map is frustratingly segmented.
-The northern half of the map can be difficult to siege thanks to predictable entry points and long sight lines.
-The item layout here is just a disaster

Now, some people might take a look at the second complaint from that first list and say "well, core shouldn't be trying to cater to CBM!"  I actually agree with this take, but in this instance, the pain CBM players are experiencing comes from a purely cosmetic choice.  While core should not be made first and foremost for CBM, I think it's fine to address CBM pain points from time to time as long as it doesn't come at a detriment to vanilla gameplay.  You'd be surprised how often it can.

However, I had one more problem swimming in my head: MM2QUI is a very nostalgic map for a lot of people.  Its flat layout and short walls have become part of a now decades-old identity for the map, and while they do cause problems, I believe that identity needs to be respected.  The challenge with this update, then, was to alleviate the pain caused by these decisions without erasing them entirely and effectively replacing the map.

I'll go ahead and break down the changes, now.

Problems:
-The map is too flat.
-The southwest corners are pointless, offering no real advantage and having the worst flow on the map.
-The southern half of the map is frustratingly segmented.

(click to show/hide)

Problem:
-The lack of null walls lets floorhuggers and flying classes terrorize matches.

(click to show/hide)

Problem:
-The northern half of the map can be difficult to siege thanks to predictable entry points and long sight lines.

(click to show/hide)

The item layout changes probably speak for themselves, but if anyone wasn't keeping score before, I encourage you to open up the current version of MM2QUI and count how many weapons are in each slot.  It wasn't great.

Finally, a straggler change I want to discuss:
-Lowered the time between quick beam fires from 7 seconds to 6
(click to show/hide)

This was one hell of a wall of text, but the point I wanted to hammer home is that I wanted, above all else, to make changes that fixed gameplay issues without trampling what's made MM2QUI unique and special for so long.  I believe I've managed to accomplish that, but I want to get this into public hands ahead of v6b to get people thinking about what this map has needed.

Thanks again to Llama for letting me tack this onto his pack, and enjoy!