Gaming > The Ghoul's Forest

GVH: Nordic Saga, and the GVH forking

(1/12) > >>

Watermelon:
To all of you who have played on GVH recently, you'll have noticed a new wad came out with 4 classes that put some unique balance into the game. It's called the Nordic Saga (by Tor-Bjorn), and some of us have been helping him with the beta.

Thus far it's been really good, V3 is coming out soon and will fix some of the slightly OP things and add new features, but my thread has a different direction.

In short to save time, GVH basically never gets updated and things that should be added aren't. I tried adding ghostbuster weapons and alternate things to the game to enhance the experience but I found out that it's locked up with ACS. In addition, the code is a complete mess and I found some really retarded bugs and ACS spam that just shouldn't be happening (especially with santa). I don't know if this is intentional or not.

The mod needs to be available to have additions to it, and in the current state it just can't take it. The ACS is quite limited, and just reading it gives a headache due to the lack of indentation. I actually found it easier to decompile it from bytecode and read that.

Therefore, this mod will be forking GVH in the future. V3 is in the works (I handle the advanced stuff but I seem to have caught the flu or something, hopefully it's coming out this weekend). In GVH the test of forking it has begun with success. What this means in basic terms: None of the GVH updates will be applicable at all with each other. GVH3b4 and on will not have any effect on the Nordic Saga due to all the actors being replaced and patched accordingly. For V4, instead of using a patch wad to do this, the entire game and it's glitches (like the one that has prevented it from running on Linux that have been around for ages... why was this not fixed immediately and left to linger for months?!) will be patched among other things.
In addition, if the maps aren't in UDMF they will be converted and ensure that 32 start points are available for each team.

In a further addition, Tor-Bjorn is a very active player for the time being. If you want something changed after V3 and V4, a hotfix can get it patched within the same day. There's no waiting anymore.

New features that are in the works are:
- Modifications for all the new four classes to continue making them more balanced. Remember, Nordic Saga is in the beta, it is not yet optimized as it should be. The community has been very good (especially in the 27+ people Nordic Saga servers!). As soon as the new version comes out hopefully this weekend we can get another massive GVH:NS server going.
- Anything else you want
- New ideas that people thought were limited but probably aren't after a complete ACS re-write
- Fancy stuff that will make you shiver in game

All our source code for the game will be open source and never obfuscated. Our classes though won't be able to be mixed with Meepy's add on classes (though that wad needs some major touching up if Meepy is still around/not aliasing another name/hasn't outright given up on it). Despite that, I'm using my previous programming language knowledge to expand ACS so that people can easily make their own classes and effects if need be. Thus far it's been a complete bitch to add stuff and basically requires a complete re-write anyways.

All constructive criticism is welcome.

Tor-Bjorn:
Hopefully we don't have to exceed past v4 for the Nordic Saga beta. I notice IvanDobrovski & Hellstorm Haven't been credited. They played a role in testing, while helping balance out the game.

Anyways, it's nice to see you working so hard on this Watermelon, looking forward to your revisions for the ACS. Cheers.

CutmanMike:

--- Quote from: "Watermelon" ---In short to save time, GVH basically never gets updated and things that should be added aren't.
--- End quote ---

Speak to Carthief, he's pretty much in charge of it now and his updates seem to be pretty balanced from what I've heard.

Tor-Bjorn:

--- Quote from: "CutmanMike" ---
--- Quote from: "Watermelon" ---In short to save time, GVH basically never gets updated and things that should be added aren't.
--- End quote ---

Speak to Carthief, he's pretty much in charge of it now and his updates seem to be pretty balanced from what I've heard.
--- End quote ---

Statistically speaking, the odds of human teaming winning on, say GVH11 are next to 0% when the ghouls reach past 5 players. On tight maps, Jitterskull's and frostbite's simply overwhelm the humans resulting in a quick 5-0. The same happens for Ghouls on a big map (like strikebeam), Because most of the ghouls are melee based and a team of marines simple removes them from the map before they even get close.

Since the release of my wad, the balance between the teams have come increasingly closer. It's no longer a case of the map determining which team wins, but the skill level of the player, which was my goal all along. Watermelon has taken on the job of cleaning up/ patching the wad as he has found it to be very messy; something Carthief has still not tackled. I've found looking through the wad that he has redundant code that put's excessive stress on the server.

CutmanMike:
Well, do what you want. It's all good open source. I haven't played since forever so I could just be talking nonsense, but last time I did it seemed like good ol GVH to me!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version