Advanced Search

Author Topic: DRSG Rebirth vB.1 - v6 Patch 07/26/2022  (Read 51912 times)

June 13, 2013, 08:20:54 PM
Reply #75

Knux

Re: DRSG Master Pack v1.1 (Official Release) May 04
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2013, 08:20:54 PM »
Some thoughts and advice:

Most of the DM maps are incredibly huge, which makes it a pain to fight. A special mention goes to that pink/purple map with the soft music, mountain and trees (which I forget the name of). For the next version of this pack, you should concentrate first on making the map layouts easier to navigate. As much as I like your decoration style, which is very creative, it's not fun to get lost in a map and wait 10 minutes to get a single frag. PLEASE keep this in mind next time. It's for the best, trust me on this.

Of course though, with layout reduction comes reduction of excess items, but work first on wrapping up the layouts first.

EDIT: By "wrapping up layouts", I mean take the look of the map (or the aspects you think make the map different from the rest of the ones in the pack). Now let's say the map is a birthday cake. A cake has (of course durr) the cake itself, the candles and maybe plastic decorations. You don't need (or rather shouldn't!) eat the candles/plastic decorations, so you take them away and THEN eat the cake. Tastes better, no? And one slice at a time, too. You don't wanna eat the whole cake at once. It'll do... stuff to your system.

June 14, 2013, 12:56:16 AM
Reply #76

Offline Duora Super Gyro

• A Nightmare before Christmas

• The neighborhood instant moe otaku.
  • Date Registered: January 19, 2011, 06:55:02 PM

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2013, 12:56:16 AM »
Quote from: "Hinatediz"
Hi...

You map is good for health... yes.

i came to put another easter egg music for your good goodies

I like that song, il see if i can fit it in...but I know Iv heard that theme from somthing, just dont know what...

June 14, 2013, 10:37:44 AM
Reply #77

Offline Emmanuelf06

• Donator
  • Date Registered: October 07, 2010, 03:03:19 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2013, 10:37:44 AM »
This map pack is really original (specially the first part), good musics!
I agree with Knux, Just 1 problem: Some parts of some maps are really HUGES and useless for a TDM or TLMS...
We are not often more than 12 people on 1 map... Don't forget, it can be boring to try to find the others if the maps parts are too big. (we need to find each other  :lol: )
But its pretty beautiful anyways.

June 15, 2013, 02:41:33 AM
Reply #78

Offline Hinatediz

• MM8BDM Extender

• BEEP BEEP BITCH YOU'RE GAY *
  • Date Registered: January 26, 2012, 03:49:32 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2013, 02:41:33 AM »
Quote from: "Duora Super Gyro"
I like that song, il see if i can fit it in...but I know Iv heard that theme from somthing, just dont know what...

well... whould be an alternate easter egg for Star Hill :P

June 15, 2013, 03:01:58 AM
Reply #79

Knux

« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2013, 03:01:58 AM »
I used analogy to make the problem of this pack easier to understand. Why bother? Because I believe there's potential. I mean, look at those textures and the way they're used. Just like Stonefunk put it: beautiful. It's just I'm the kind of person that likes layouts that work for most modes. And although that can't always be the case, I think it's great to be able to play whatever one wants in one map.

That's not to say this pack is completely unplayable. It's perfect for Hide and Seek (just needs a bigger timer hnnnggfff), Rage Robo/Saxton in some cases and some would make bases for great CTF maps.

Forget that last part about CTF, I ramble on. :P

Sometimes, a lot of space is needed for testing some things. But really, that map with the looooong bridge has to be cut down, too. Reminds me of Floating Sports Park lag croak.

June 15, 2013, 01:56:05 PM
Reply #80

Offline -Daiki-TheOni

• Standard Member

• Honor, love and justice... thats what i need.
  • Date Registered: December 04, 2011, 08:25:43 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2013, 01:56:05 PM »
I said something like Stonefunk before, this is incredible, Duora should work on the next official expansion MM9. I know, i,m exagerating a bit but think about it. Also, Knux, I know you are one of the most veterans in "cartography", and the point is, you are right, a lot of maps are tooo big, but something that makes these maps diferent is the "hand" of the mapper, In my opinion, even if the map breaks the gameplay, I can't imagine Star Hill smaller than now, is like if I change the "Mona Lisa" because something is mising.

Anyway is my opinion. (I,m not a mapper so...)

June 15, 2013, 02:28:03 PM
Reply #81

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer
  • Date Registered: August 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2013, 02:28:03 PM »
Quote from: "TheunlosingQuint"
I said something like Stonefunk before, this is incredible, Duora should work on the next official expansion MM9. I know, i,m exagerating a bit but think about it. Also, Knux, I know you are one of the most veterans in "cartography", and the point is, you are right, a lot of maps are tooo big, but something that makes these maps diferent is the "hand" of the mapper, In my opinion, even if the map breaks the gameplay, I can't imagine Star Hill smaller than now, is like if I change the "Mona Lisa" because something is mising.

Except the truth of the matter is and summary:

These maps ARE beautiful, just some of the layouts don't seem to work because they're too huge or just bad -coughwhateverthatsandtempleofdoommapwascough-

If by hand you mean style, then yes I would agree. Everyone has their own style of mapping and Duora certainly knows how to make things pretty. But again, pretty maps don't do anything if the map doesn't play well AKA too big.

July 27, 2013, 05:50:13 PM
Reply #82

Offline Duora Super Gyro

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2013, 05:50:13 PM »
Quote from: "Rozark"
Quote from: "TheunlosingQuint"

Except the truth of the matter is and summary:

These maps ARE beautiful, just some of the layouts don't seem to work because they're too huge or just bad -coughwhateverthatsandtempleofdoommapwascough-

If by hand you mean style, then yes I would agree. Everyone has their own style of mapping and Duora certainly knows how to make things pretty. But again, pretty maps don't do anything if the map doesn't play well AKA too big.
Yeah, that sand temple place was pretty lame wasnt it... well, ima still try to use the textures, probably edit them and make more to go with it so it looks better... I was more focused on the gimmick then the look. and the gimmick wasn't executed too well...

Recently, I have been thinking about the DRSG Pack maps and... I'm just not good at this stuff. My maps are pretty but they aren't good for death matches and stuff. And I have kind of been losing intrest in this because I'm not sure what to do, I've just been kind of winging it. Anyway, So I probably wont be updating these maps. But im not done mapping, I've decided that since my maps are always big and pretty but not good for death matches, maybe I should try somthing else. And then I thought about doing Co-op Maps and Play Around maps (or whatever...just somthing to play around on and stuff...like the hotel maps) so expect a couple map packs from me in the future. that is all.

Edit: I'm still gonna attempt maps for competitions and expansions and stuff, but yeah...

August 06, 2013, 07:12:37 PM
Reply #83

Offline Jdude330

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: July 22, 2013, 12:57:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2013, 07:12:37 PM »
oh so dats where these came from. good job!

August 06, 2013, 08:32:16 PM
Reply #84

Offline Duora Super Gyro

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2013, 08:32:16 PM »
Quote from: "Jdude330"
oh so dats where these came from. good job!
Thanks, but im not continuing this, Im doing a new map pack, most of the maps probably wont be coming back in the remake, but some of them, Im going to do my best to keep like Nature's Best, and Cliff Side. I also plan to keep some of the textures from them and this time, Im gonna avoid so many pointless easter eggs. A lot of things wont be coming back like Duora dolls and a lot of the other props I made. Im trying to make it cleaner, and better this time, so less maps, but better quality ones is what im aiming for here. The textures are going to be custom made and actually 8-bit this time or ripped from games. And im also gonna be making these maps with mods in mind so things like Ghouls vs Humans 8-bit will be more fun here. Right now im only planning about  10 maps though it may be more depending on what ideas I get. on the other hand. Its gonna be some time though, I plan to be using custom sound effects, Im going to try to make my own music for some of the maps though its hard to say if all of it will be custom made.
Maps with similar designs, gimmicks, or textures to those of Nature's Best, Cliff Side, Dark Matter, Jungle Trouble, Frosty Fire Ruins, Asteroid Assault, and Title City will be in the pack, but they will also be very different as far as the lay outs. So they may not be what you expect. I also plan to make maps based on games like Minecraft, Cave Story, Call of Duty, Mario Bros, and possibly more.
It will be some time before this is done, but I want to make it worth the wait, and put more effort into everything in the maps instead of certain things in them.

August 06, 2013, 08:45:36 PM
Reply #85

Offline FTX6004

• MM8BDM Extender

• aaaaaaB
  • Date Registered: August 07, 2012, 05:12:49 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2013, 08:45:36 PM »
I also plan to make maps based on games like Minecraft, Cave Story, Call of Duty, Mario Bros,

Thats a wonderful idea i hope it wont come easter eggs in those maps and minecraft could use one of the disc to the theme of the map.

August 06, 2013, 10:37:47 PM
Reply #86

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2013, 10:37:47 PM »
And im also gonna be making these maps with mods in mind

Take my word when I say DON'T DO THIS.
That is, unless these aren't just traditional deathmatch maps.

August 07, 2013, 09:53:46 AM
Reply #87

Offline Duora Super Gyro

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2013, 09:53:46 AM »
Quote from: "Rozark"
And im also gonna be making these maps with mods in mind

Take my word when I say DON'T DO THIS.
That is, unless these aren't just traditional death match maps.

I mean like I wont use any gimmicks that are annoying to deal with in other mods and I wont make it to big or have to many ways to camp, like Waveman or Iceman Remix.

Edit:...Or sand ruins temple...whatever that place is I made... and there wont be cliffs everywhere.

August 07, 2013, 01:29:49 PM
Reply #88

Offline Rozark

• MM8BDM Extender

• Mr. Explorer

• View Profile
    • Rozark #0873
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2013, 01:29:49 PM »
Still don't do that.
Compatibility for mods should be the last thing on your list, rather, just providing a fun experience should be one of the primaries.
But then again, I don't know the kind of maps you plan on making.

August 07, 2013, 02:55:57 PM
Reply #89

Offline Magnet Dood

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• Rockman 5- Blues' Trap!?
  • Date Registered: April 19, 2011, 08:13:37 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2013, 02:55:57 PM »
I have been meaning to ask this for a while and I'm pretty sure I'm right, but...

Did you get those muscular statue guys from Pokemon TCG 2?