Advanced Search

Author Topic: Mega Man 1 Stage Hacking  (Read 7993 times)

September 08, 2012, 02:09:47 PM
Read 7993 times

Offline Kage

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 11, 2011, 04:45:35 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/kagegamer12
Mega Man 1 Stage Hacking
« on: September 08, 2012, 02:09:47 PM »
I made a Mega Man 1 stage hack some time ago using the Rock and Roll stage editor, and I was wondering if anyone wants to try it out.

Since I'm not sure if posting the rom is allowed, I'll just post the patch instead.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ad443ss5q ... ack_v1.ips

The route of all the stages have remained unchanged but the levels themselves have been layout differently which includes more enemies and slightly modded boss rooms. Mega Man has also been changed slightly with different colors when he changes weapons and deplete rates for weapons have been modified as well. Unfortunately, respawning at checkpoints glitches the next screen so I have no idea how to fix that, some of the enemies are glitched, and the fortress stages are yet to be finished.

September 08, 2012, 02:47:21 PM
Reply #1

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• Putting the 'bounce' into your world.
  • Date Registered: June 20, 2011, 08:07:58 PM

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man 1 Stage Hacking
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 02:47:21 PM »
Quote from: "Kage"
This image reminds me of a typical amateur Super Mario World hack which places those small immobile munchers in midair. But you were right to post an IPS patch, since you cannot distribute roms whatsoever.

EDIT: Just trying Rock and Roll, how do you edit special objects? I can only add/move them. I cannot for the life of me delete them and there seems to be no documentation on them whatsoever.

September 10, 2012, 07:33:35 PM
Reply #2

Offline Kage

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 07:33:35 PM »
Quote from: "Beed28"
Quote from: "Kage"
This image reminds me of a typical amateur Super Mario World hack which places those small immobile munchers in midair. But you were right to post an IPS patch, since you cannot distribute roms whatsoever.

EDIT: Just trying Rock and Roll, how do you edit special objects? I can only add/move them. I cannot for the life of me delete them and there seems to be no documentation on them whatsoever.

From what I found out, you can remove them by first pressing the Object Edit button, then hold Ctrl and right click on the object to delete them.

September 10, 2012, 08:50:35 PM
Reply #3

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 08:50:35 PM »
Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks! I also found out you could edit the properties of the object/enemy by Shift+Right click. I'm making my own ROM hack now.

September 11, 2012, 12:35:23 PM
Reply #4

Offline Kage

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 12:35:23 PM »
Sweet, do you think I can try out your ROM hack once you finished it?

September 11, 2012, 03:08:34 PM
Reply #5

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 03:08:34 PM »
I'll surely put up an IPS when it's ready. It seems to be coming along nicely. It has stuff like jumping slightly higher, changed colour palattes, changed weakness order, boss rooms having different terrain, bosses weak to their own weapons, etc.

Anyway, here's a protip for your hack: Do not put obstructing Guts Blocks at the end of boss corridors. There seemed be be no enemies in them either, forcing the player to reset the game entirely. That kind of stuff wouldn't fly in a good hack.

EDIT: Also, the final boss room made me facepalm myself so hard.

September 11, 2012, 09:56:19 PM
Reply #6

Offline NemZ

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: October 13, 2010, 03:00:53 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 09:56:19 PM »
It's a good effort but really needs some polish.  Lots of sprite flicker and enemies just popping out of nowhere right in the middle of the screen, too much focus on pixel-perfect jumps (often several of the exact same layout in a row, which is either frustrating as hell or boring), and many of the altered areas just don't look/feel right because things aren't connected or are just floating in a weird place.  Spikes for example should always be rooted on another block.

September 12, 2012, 02:17:12 PM
Reply #7

Offline Jakeinator

• Justice League Member

• Me draw ooga booga
  • Date Registered: September 13, 2011, 06:26:12 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 02:17:12 PM »
Hey anyone here no how to edit music and tiles in this? It would really help

September 14, 2012, 03:33:37 AM
Reply #8

Offline Kage

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 03:33:37 AM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate your suggestions and criticisms. As such, I'll try to give an explanation to all those problems you found.

Anyway, here's a protip for your hack: Do not put obstructing Guts Blocks at the end of boss corridors. There seemed be be no enemies in them either, forcing the player to reset the game entirely. That kind of stuff wouldn't fly in a good hack.

Yeah, I attempted to not let people use Cut Man as the first robot master which is why those Guts Blocks are blocking the way, but now noticing that there is no way to kill yourself, I suppose that it might get a little annoying. ^^" Next time, I'll probably move the Guts Blocks at the beginning of the level and add a pit to save you and everyone else the trouble.

Also, the final boss room made me facepalm myself so hard.
I can't believe you actually made it to the final boss xD. I was experimenting with different tiles in the boss rooms, and I thought having a different background would of been awesome. However, I found out that  Yellow Devil and Wily glitched out the background when you fight them, so I guess that only makes them harder considering the spikes I added are glitched out too. Oh the bright side, I found out Wily's boss room does move along with the Wily Machine.

Quote from: "NemZ"
Lots of sprite flicker and enemies just popping out of nowhere right in the middle of the screen

Yeah I know. I learned that even objects that belong to that stage might glitch out in another section, and I suspect that it might be because the enemy is not compatible with a specific background tile though I haven't really tested that out yet. So I don't know how to fix it so that an enemy or object will be compatible with that background tile if that is even the cause at all.

Too much focus on pixel-perfect jumps (often several of the exact same layout in a row, which is either frustrating as hell or boring)

I guess I can lighten up on that, though it didn't really bother me that much except Ice Man's stage.

Many of the altered areas just don't look/feel right because things aren't connected or are just floating in a weird place.  Spikes for example should always be rooted on another block.
There is only so much I can do on that, since the platforms, walls, spikes, and other stuff are comprised of square background tiles on the editor and the only tiles I have access to are the existing tiles that are already available on the rom or editor. Since side spikes connecting to blocks or free flying spike tiles don't exist in this rom, I can't implement it in the hack unless I found out a way to add tiles into the rom or editor.

September 22, 2012, 09:15:13 PM
Reply #9

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 09:15:13 PM »
I've got two things to ask anyone who knows:

First, how do you edit text, like the copyright notices at the bottom of the title screen and the ending text and the credits that follow?

And secondly, is there a hack that changes Mega Man to Rock? As in, the casual clothing he changes into during the ending?

Thanks.

September 23, 2012, 03:18:23 AM
Reply #10

Offline Blaze Yeager

• MM8BDM Extender

• Retired, but still kicking.
  • Date Registered: March 14, 2010, 01:17:23 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 03:18:23 AM »
is there a hack that changes Mega Man to Rock? As in, the casual clothing he changes into during the ending?

Yarr, there be one. It's called Byte's Adventure, it's a MM1 hack.

October 09, 2012, 06:05:25 PM
Reply #11

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 06:05:25 PM »
Thanks. I'm planning on having two versions of my hack; a normal difficulty one and a hard difficulty one. The hard difficulty is RNC style hard and will have Rock in his casual clothing.

EDIT: Is there any good tile editors out there? I've found one but the interface is trying to be as unfriendly as possible (it's making it impossible to copy tiles from one ROM into another >_<).

EDIT 2: It's okay, I found one! YY-CHR seems to be serving it's purpose, at least.

EDIT 3:

----~~~~----

My hack is well on it's way now. I think I have a working title; how does "Return to Monsteropolis" sound? And here's the story:
(click to show/hide)

There's all sorts of changes; there's new tilesets, some Robot Masters are more deadly and more unfair (Copy Gutsman's earthquake can't be avoided) while one has been weakened so much you'll be laughing, you can jump slightly higher, there's will be a seperate Hard Mode version where you don't get mercy invincibility after being hit, and also putting Rock in his casual clothing from the original game's ending.

Right now, I've been tweaking the Wily Stages slightly, and finished half of Copy Elecman's new stage layout.

But for now, have some WIP screenshots (ignore the REWIND POWER: 100% thingy, that's a lua script I often use while playing games on FCEUX)
(click to show/hide)

October 12, 2012, 10:21:27 AM
Reply #12

Offline Karate Cat X

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: March 29, 2011, 09:26:25 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/KCEXE
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 10:21:27 AM »
Wowzers, this hack is looking nice. Love the choice of Quick Man's tileset for Elec Man's stage. Can't wait to see more. :)

October 12, 2012, 03:44:31 PM
Reply #13

Offline Kage

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 03:44:31 PM »

Do the lasers move or are they just retextured spikes? Otherwise this hack looks pretty awesome!

October 12, 2012, 03:53:21 PM
Reply #14

Offline Beed28

• MM8BDM Extender

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 03:53:21 PM »
No, the lasers are just retextured spikes.