Advanced Search

Author Topic: [TUTORIAL] Customization for Newbies  (Read 9144 times)

August 18, 2012, 12:39:19 PM
Read 9144 times

Offline Gumballtoid

• MM8BDM Extender

• Recipe for Success
  • Date Registered: July 13, 2011, 10:27:00 PM

• View Profile
[TUTORIAL] Customization for Newbies
« on: August 18, 2012, 12:39:19 PM »
Okay, I'm writing a customization tutorial for all those who've just started playing MM8BDM. The sudden flood of *ahem* homies inspired me to write this. Before I go into any great detail, this tutorial is assuming you've got the game functioning and such, and are able to play online. If you can not, please head to this thread. After successful completion of those steps and such, you might want to look into this. Note that none of these are required to play the game normally, but are nice to make your profile and such unique.

AVATARS AND LOCATIONS (Cutstuff) - From what I've heard, the mods have been PM'd countlessly about avatars and such. I'm gonna go over how to properly set an avatar so as to avoid further confusion. In the top-right corner, you'll see a link labeled "User Control Panel." From here, you can see all sorts of information about your profile. Post count, friends and foes, dates joined and last visited are all here. What you want to do is look to the left and click on the tab labeled "Profile." Here, you'll see all sorts of fill-in boxes of information you could display for others to see. None of these are mandatory, don't worry. One of these is entitled "Location." Here, you can write just about anything. Generally, one would use it for their actual location (For example CutmanMike's would be United Kingdom), but many choose to use it for any form of witty line, a quote, something relevant to their avatar, ect. It will be displayed underneath your avatar. Next, look to the left and click ">> Edit avatar." This is the picture displayed on your profile and all of your posts. However, there are certain restrictions. The size limit is 128 x 128 px. Anything larger is sized down automatically. The best way to get an avatar that you'd like is to upload an image of your choice to Imageshack, Photobucket, or any other image sharing website. You can also simply browse online for one if you so choose. Once you find a picture you like, copy the image location and paste it into the box, and success! You've spiced up your profile considerably.

COLORED NAMES (In-Game) - Open up the menu (Escape key) and scroll down to "Multiplayer." From here, open up "Player Settings." You'll see all sorts of stuff, but what we want is your name. There are 22 different colors available (23 if you count transparent, the default color). To begin, type "c(letter)" into your name. This is the little tiny code that defines the color of your choosing. The following letters correspond to the following colors:

A = Pink
B = Beige
C = Silver
D = Light green
E = Light brown
F = Gold
G = Red
H = Blue
I = Orange
J = White
K = Yellow
L = Dark green
M = Black
N = Light blue
O = Bright pink
P = Greenish brown (Breen...?)
Q = Green
R = Brick red
S = Brown
T = Purple
U = Gray
V = Cyan
- = Transparency (default)

An image for your convenience (Thanks Balrog)

That picture is missing C, which is basically a toned-down version of J.

Each character will take up one character in your character limit, meaning if you choose to color each individual letter, your name will be considerably shorter than one solid color.

Note: You can also color text in the regular chat this way.

Note: Not everybody has green text for their regular chat. If you want to return to the default color, use the hyphen.

Note: If the code is in caps, it will not work properly.

BINDING (In-Game) - Have you ever seen players say a really long or colorful message almost effortlessly? This is most likely a bind. The premise is setting a key to perform a specific action (like your controls). There's all sorts of binds but the only ones I'm going to cover right now are chat binds. Note that you should not bind a message to a key used in your controls. If you accidentally do, you can remedy this by going to your "Customize Controls" menu in the "Options" menu. Anyways, we start by opening up the console. From here, type something like this.

Code: [Select]
Bind M "Say \cfHello, world!""M" is the key being binded, "Say" is the command, and "\cfHello, world!" is the message being relayed. In-game, pressing the M key would make you say "Hello, world!"

Note: When adding colors to binds, two backslashes are required, rather than one.

Note: The character limit for the console is considerably longer than the character limit for the chat, thus allowing you to bind messages you couldn't otherwise fit in the regular chat.

Note: Do not spam. Not only will the server automatically mute you temporarily, but you could also be votekicked or muted by the host for, well, being an idiot.

Have fun, guys!

If there's anything I may have missed, just reply and I'll try to add it in.

August 18, 2012, 12:56:58 PM
Reply #1

Offline Outragous

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 18, 2012, 12:23:44 AM

• View Profile
Re: [TUTORIAL] Customization for Newbies
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 12:56:58 PM »
Nice tut! +1 I would also add: If you have a multicolored name it's easiest just to edit your name from the actual skulltag-(YOURNAME) config. It just makes it much easier.

August 18, 2012, 12:58:52 PM
Reply #2

Offline MasterXman

• Standard Member

• Status Unknown
  • Date Registered: April 26, 2011, 12:15:48 AM

• View Profile
Ninja'd
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 12:58:52 PM »
Quote from: "Gumballtoid"
I've already made a thread about that.

Also Aliases and what not. You missed that.

August 18, 2012, 01:53:16 PM
Reply #3

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 31, 2011, 10:37:33 PM

• View Profile
Re: Ninja'd
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 01:53:16 PM »
Quote from: "xxkirbysonicxx1"
Quote from: "Gumballtoid"

It's much more convenient for it all to be in one topic, especially if these are new people staring at a ton of forums and sub-forums. They don't want to go topic-jumping, they want to look at one topic and get all the information needed.

Also, it doesn't matter if there's another topic about avatars as long as the point gets across on how to make an avatar. The point of making these help topics isn't to see who gets them up first, it's to provide the help needed. I'm done.

August 18, 2012, 01:56:12 PM
Reply #4

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 01:56:12 PM »
Don't forget that using caps lock while trying to input a c color code breaks it.

August 18, 2012, 01:56:50 PM
Reply #5

Offline Balrog

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: February 08, 2011, 07:41:17 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 01:56:50 PM »
Leaving this here:

August 18, 2012, 04:37:59 PM
Reply #6

Offline Outragous

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 18, 2012, 12:23:44 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 04:37:59 PM »
Quote from: "Balrog"
Leaving this here:

+1

August 19, 2012, 04:25:57 AM
Reply #7

Offline Toastman

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: April 01, 2012, 01:19:00 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 04:25:57 AM »
/cftoastman and /cf toastman won't work...

EDIT: oh.... i've played this game since 1b or 1c and never knew how to do this. WELL DERP MY HERP.

August 19, 2012, 04:37:07 AM
Reply #8

Offline GameAndWatcher

• Standard Member

• Gosh!
  • Date Registered: April 03, 2011, 05:44:04 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 04:37:07 AM »
Quote from: "Toastman"
/cftoastman and /cf toastman won't work...
It's , not /