Advanced Search

Author Topic: Mega Man StarForce Topic  (Read 6236 times)

December 04, 2011, 04:08:42 AM
Read 6236 times

Offline MasterXman

• Standard Member

• Status Unknown
  • Date Registered: April 26, 2011, 12:15:48 AM

• View Profile
Mega Man StarForce Topic
« on: December 04, 2011, 04:08:42 AM »
I really can't belive this... There wasn't a topic for this.
Anyways... MegaMan StarForce 2 was a piece of cake to beat.
The only thing that bugged me was: ..........I never got to go to the Sky High Colloseum...
I have every single battle card in MegaMan starforce 3 Red Joker.
And for MegaMan starforce 3? It wasn't that easy. It was hard to beat.
Also guess what. I'm a freakin' Libra in this game.

December 04, 2011, 04:11:17 AM
Reply #1

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
Re: There's no StarForce Topic. Why?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 04:11:17 AM »
I felt Star Force 2 was a really good game.

I want to at least know the story of 1, and I'll be getting 3 by Christmas.

December 04, 2011, 11:24:26 AM
Reply #2

Offline KillerChair

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 24, 2010, 11:27:42 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/pixellerate
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 11:24:26 AM »
Ive got 1 (version pegasus) lying around here somewhere.
Played 2 and 3 on ze good ol flash card.

I hoped for a 4th game but capcom is being a **** lately about megaman games ;)

December 04, 2011, 03:33:05 PM
Reply #3

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 03:33:05 PM »
I have Zerker/Ninja, but only because it was the only copy left iirc.

I'm hoping to get Black Ace, and if I were to ever play Starforce 1, I'd pick Leo.

December 04, 2011, 03:59:21 PM
Reply #4

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 31, 2011, 10:37:33 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 03:59:21 PM »
When I played the Starforce series after beating the BN games, I was honestly a bit disappointed; it was easier than the BN series. For me, it was alot easier getting all the gigachips (gigacards) in the starforce series than in any of the BNs that I've played, which is 3-6. The final boss in the first Starforce was a HUGE letdown. However, the Starforce series has an awesome storyline, and I like how Rogue kind of takes Bass's place. Also, you can find references from the BN series in the Starforce series. Starforce 3 is the best by far; decent final boss, REALLY cool noise form system, the option to turn into Megaman at will, and who could forget the Black Ace/Red Joker form. I honestly didn't like the first Starforce at all, though, so if you started on 2, just go to 3. All in all, I liked everything in the Starforce series but the difficulty. By the way, have they stopped making starforces after 3?

December 04, 2011, 05:37:35 PM
Reply #5

Offline PressStart

• MM8BDM Contributor
  • Date Registered: August 13, 2009, 03:06:04 PM

• View Profile
    • http://minimega.tumblr.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 05:37:35 PM »
I liked Starforce 1's story and atmosphere more than 2, but 2 had ONLINE BATTLING and more stuff so yea.

3 is for sure the best, and has a sweet final boss super move thingy.

All in all they were pretty good games, but Capcom really shot themselves in the foot by trying-to-evolve-battle-network-but-not-really. All of the Battle Network fans were upset that the setting had changed, the fighting was different/simpler, and generally just were unimpressed. Meanwhile, all of the NON Battle Network fans saw it as the exact same game (still kid-appealing RPG world where you do fetch quests until you battle), so it managed to push out old fans and not draw in new ones. And of course, to cap it all off, they proceed to release sequel after sequel with multiple versions (the first one had 3 versions ugh what were they thinking) because they thought they were invincible like Pokemon.

If Capcom were to revive this RPG series of Mega Man games, I feel like the best way to do it would be to bring back Mega Man EXE, with a focus on a robust and balanced online multiplayer battle system. It really is a rad battle system; the grid layout makes it feels like a strategic board game, but the attacks and dodging take place in real time so there's ACTION. Furthermore, they could have people either use custom-built operators and navis, or choose from a list of defaults like Lan and Mega Man, Chaud and Protoman, or even mix em like Mr. Match and Iceman. Basically, focus on making a Battle Network game that would make old fans cry tears of joy, which would get other gamers to turn their heads when suddenly, this is the game that they're all playing online.

December 04, 2011, 08:29:53 PM
Reply #6

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 08:29:53 PM »
Speaking of Battle Network (Yes I know it's the Starforce topic just had to say this real quick), why did they stop making Battle Networks and start on a completely new series? Everyone adored the BN series, so there was really no reason at all for ending the Battle Network series and starting a totally different, unfamilier series.

December 04, 2011, 11:02:03 PM
Reply #7

Offline KillerChair

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 24, 2010, 11:27:42 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/pixellerate
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 11:02:03 PM »
I do agree on the starfoce games being easyer than the battle network series.
And i would love to see a sequel to both games.

But i wonder if there will ever be a new megaman game actually.

(click to show/hide)

December 05, 2011, 12:00:14 AM
Reply #8

Offline PressStart

• MM8BDM Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 12:00:14 AM »
Quote from: "TheDoc"
Speaking of Battle Network (Yes I know it's the Starforce topic just had to say this real quick), why did they stop making Battle Networks and start on a completely new series? Everyone adored the BN series, so there was really no reason at all for ending the Battle Network series and starting a totally different, unfamilier series.
In defense of the Starforce switch:

-After Battle Network 4, sales were declining for the series (Battle Network 4 hit a huge sales peak, and dropped afterward <probably cuz it's the worst of the 6 games!>)

-Having a NEW series on a NEW system is a Mega Man tradition (See: X on SNES, Legends on Playstation) so they probably wanted something "fresh" for the Nintendo DS

-MMBN6's ending basically wraps up MMBN's story. This might've been done BECAUSE they wanted to move on to Starforce, or they really did just want to stop reusing the same characters (As with any franchise though, if they REALLY wanted to continue the story, they could)

Basically, there's a couple good reasons for why they did it, but I feel like it could have gone on stronger if they took a different approach. Keep the Battle Network world and battle play style, but change up the overworld gameplay. Making it more multiplayer focused would go a long way in changing how the game was played, as it'd be more about figuring out strategies rather than getting the most powerful chips.

/@KillerChair: I think a lot of people would love an MMOish MMBN! Just the idea of customizing your own net navi would be enough to draw in some people.

December 05, 2011, 12:51:33 AM
Reply #9

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 12:51:33 AM »
I will agree that I didn't really like MMBN4, but I LOVED 5 & 6, especially since you can go straight to Bass without beating the game in BN6. And Bass really gives you a run for your money in 6, too. I've always loved fighting Bass, but let's not digress from the topic. It's obvious they had Rogue take the place of Bass, but how well do you think it worked? Is there anything you see in Bass that you wish Rogue had? Just an ice breaker.

December 05, 2011, 02:16:49 AM
Reply #10

Offline PressStart

• MM8BDM Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 02:16:49 AM »
I think Rogue replaced Bass pretty well. Actually, Rogue came off more as a SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG rival, while Bass seemed like super-secret-last-boss material most of the time (like Akuma in SF2). My biggest issue would be how he looks; Bass.EXE is Bass + sleek EXE style + a CLOAK and thus = one of the coolest looking things ever. Rogue has like...pointy elf shoes.

Rogue in SF2 was pretty rad; his first appearance with the INVINCIBLE shield made for a neat (although scripted) 'ah man I can't even touch this guy' moment. Then, when you get to ACTUALLY fight him... he still has it! But it's actually beatable, although you have to actually have a plan to get past it. It's been awhile since I've played, but I think it went down that way, and it made him a pretty cool dude.

In SF3, teaming up with, and the music it plays during those later scenes, is rad. Somewhat related, the ROGUE power you got if you cut off all your friend connections was pretty funny, as a bunch of the friends I had while playing were too tempted to do it and cut ties with me. The dark side is too strong for some people!

December 05, 2011, 05:21:48 PM
Reply #11

Offline Jennifer

• Standard Member

• *Flaps arms*
  • Date Registered: October 31, 2010, 03:59:53 PM

• View Profile
I have all 3 :cool:
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 05:21:48 PM »
I have Pegasus, Zerker x Saurian, and Black Ace. If my Wi-fi was working I'd ask if anyone wanted to exchange friend codes, but I can only do that when I'm at a friend's house.

Even If I did fight some of you, In SF2 My 2060 HP and Double Tribe would crush you, and my Cygnus noise + X Card Folder would just obliterate you also.

December 06, 2011, 12:58:41 AM
Reply #12

Offline TheDoc

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 12:58:41 AM »
Quote from: "PressStart"
Rogue in SF2 was pretty rad; his first appearance with the INVINCIBLE shield made for a neat (although scripted) 'ah man I can't even touch this guy' moment. Then, when you get to ACTUALLY fight him... he still has it! But it's actually beatable, although you have to actually have a plan to get past it.

MMBN3 Deja vu.

December 07, 2011, 03:24:26 AM
Reply #13

Offline PressStart

• MM8BDM Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 03:24:26 AM »
?? Man it's been too long since I played MMBN3. I had to look at a video to see for myself. Haha, Bass IS Rogue!

I wanna play MMBN3 now, but doesn't that mean erasing my save file? Not like it MATTERS even but...but!

December 07, 2011, 04:40:52 AM
Reply #14

Offline Sora

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor
  • Date Registered: April 22, 2011, 06:23:08 PM

• View Profile
Still, 2D battles > 3D battles forever
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 04:40:52 AM »
Oh boi. SF ranting/opinion time.

Star Force 1 was shaky and shallow, since they were laying the groundwork out for the rest of the games.

Star Force 2 had major improvements over 1, but it still lacked the depth that made the BN series' story/battles so amazing.

Star Force 3 was the best in the series, for by this time I had grown attached to Geo and the others (took me awhile since Lan and his friends were so amazing), and they had finally crafted the battle system into something that was simplistic and yet complex (the noise counter really made it amazing).  Really, I think a lot can be said for it following the BN series in game quality: first one was ok, second one made major improvements, and the third one was the masterpiece of the series.  Only complaint I have of the series is below in a spoiler (in case someone hasn't played the third one and doesn't want it spoiled):

(click to show/hide)