Advanced Search

Author Topic: REAL Pack - v1c Released!  (Read 8494 times)

May 27, 2019, 11:36:26 PM
Read 8494 times

Offline Thunderono

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• The Treaded Treasury
  • Date Registered: December 04, 2010, 11:20:27 PM

• View Profile
    • KHAN
REAL Pack - v1c Released!
« on: May 27, 2019, 11:36:26 PM »
see it works because it's like the REef and ALpacka, get it?

Introducing...
The REAL Pack

An 18 map strong pack of smooth goodness brought to you by LlamaHombre and yours truly, Thunderono!  This pack is the combination of The Reef (previously known as the WetPack, my own pack) and Alpacka, Llama's own pack.  I can't actually think of anything else to put here, so let's dive right in!

Reef screenshots
(click to show/hide)

Alpacka screenshots
(click to show/hide)

REAL Screenshots
(click to show/hide)

v1c Changelog
(click to show/hide)

Grab it from TSPG or Dropbox!

Music and asset credits can be found within each pack's respective README in the main pack's pk3, as well as usage restrictions.

Thanks for playing!

Previous versions
(click to show/hide)

May 27, 2019, 11:40:37 PM
Reply #1

Offline LlamaHombre

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: November 15, 2010, 09:19:04 PM

• View Profile
    • My Famitracker Covers
Re: REAL Pack - v1a
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 11:40:37 PM »
I figure I should probably write something here too, huh?

It's been an honor to help work on this so far and I can't wait to help contribute more to this pack in the future!
Feedback, ideas, anything of the sort helps the both of us out a lot, so please make sure to tell us whatever comes to mind!

May 29, 2019, 09:16:08 PM
Reply #2

Offline Ruzma

• Standard Member

• darkness
  • Date Registered: August 05, 2018, 05:49:10 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 09:16:08 PM »
So, like, what's the thing of these maps? On the screenshots, they don't look too out-there and the majority re-use in-game textures and assets, so...do they have any special gimmick? Or, are they particularly fun? Sorry if I'm coming as rude, I'm just curious.

May 30, 2019, 03:14:50 AM
Reply #3

Offline Thunderono

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• The Treaded Treasury

• View Profile
    • KHAN
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 03:14:50 AM »
So, like, what's the thing of these maps? On the screenshots, they don't look too out-there and the majority re-use in-game textures and assets, so...do they have any special gimmick? Or, are they particularly fun? Sorry if I'm coming as rude, I'm just curious.
I won't lie-- this post had me floored for a bit.  For the past five hours, actually.  This wasn't a question I've ever seen anyone ask in all my years of being a part of this community, and one neither I nor anyone I hang out with knew how to answer.  It took a while for me to piece together that newer players such as (seemingly) yourself don't have the years-old context of packs like this being released, instead having only the context of main expansions and sub expansions such as DOS Reborn or Rock Force to base your expectations of what side content gets released on.  Sorry if that assumption's incorrect!

So to answer your question proper, there isn't really any thing to this pack.  It's not based on any particular game, the maps don't follow any central gimmick, nothing like that.  Like custom tracks for SRB2 Kart or maps made in Halo's Forge mode, the purpose of this pack is simply to add new content.  You may have seen packs like Legopack, Rozpack or Sharp that do roughly the same thing.

I realize that when put in writing, that's not as exciting as a new, fully custom set of maps like what DOS came out swinging with.  However, packs like this are a chance for individual creators to push their own style in a set of maps truly unrelated to one another and to any other content.  That can be a chance to show off your architectural and texturing skills, to experiment with new styles, or simply to get ideas out of your head.  The (roughly) yearly mapping jams are another outlet for this, and a popular one at that-- Paper Jam was the highest turnout jam ever got!

Your second question (Are they particularly fun?) is a little bit more brutal, and one that I can't answer for my own maps without looking super biased.  I do know that Llama's side of the pack is a ton of fun, though, and I am proud of my own set.  Rest assured that I wouldn't intentionally try to release something that wasn't fun*!  At the moment of typing this post, there're 3 servers running the pack (Classes, Roboenza, and Scorched Earth/Havoc), so if you don't want to just take my word for it, go and check it out!

*Mirror Mode is an exception to this and I'm not sorry for that monstrosity

sorry if this came off as condescending or hostile or anything I just had a really hard time understanding what the question really meant

May 30, 2019, 09:23:49 AM
Reply #4

Offline Ruzma

• Standard Member

• darkness
  • Date Registered: August 05, 2018, 05:49:10 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 09:23:49 AM »
Eek, didn't expect such a response, but alright then! Again, sorry if I came off...well off. You're probably right, though.
Still, at least it'll make for a memorable post to, well, remember, I guess!

In any case, you have my continued long distance encouragement and praise towards any of you people's works, just wanted you to know that.
Keep up the good work!

June 02, 2019, 04:39:40 PM
Reply #5

Offline MegaVile

• Standard Member

• [Necromancer of Saxton Hale]
  • Date Registered: August 06, 2016, 06:25:54 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 04:39:40 PM »
> Egg Corridor
Y E S

January 10, 2022, 11:11:19 PM
Reply #6

Offline Thunderono

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• The Treaded Treasury

• View Profile
    • KHAN
Re: REAL Pack - v1b Released!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 11:11:19 PM »
Hello everyone!  I'm here with an announcement: REAL v1b is now available!  Alongside a plethora of improvements to the existing maps, three new maps are included.  Two of these maps are award-winners from previously hosted competitions, and one has never been seen before.

ALP06 - Echelon and Flow
(click to show/hide)

REEF11 - Agonopolis
(click to show/hide)

And, using a new map code scheme designed to indicate maps made by the both of us:
REAL01 - Spectral Echo
(click to show/hide)

REAL may only be one map strong for now, but rest assured that after working together on Spectral Echo, Llama and I have some plans that'll fill that code out nicely.

Additionally, all maps now include SECTINFO and preview images for Trillster's map voting system.

Full changelog:
(click to show/hide)

We hope you enjoy!  You can grab it on TSPG or dropbox.

October 09, 2023, 10:15:05 PM
Reply #7

Offline Thunderono

• MM8BDM MM9 Contributor

• The Treaded Treasury

• View Profile
    • KHAN
Re: REAL Pack - v1c Released!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2023, 10:15:05 PM »
Hey everyone!  Just dropping in to say we've released v1c!  This is a more minor update to bring REAL up to v6b compatibility, though a few maps have also seen some major changes.  Check the front post for download links and a full changelog!