Advanced Search

Author Topic: [Game Mode] Bot Apocalypse  (Read 41339 times)

October 12, 2011, 05:23:13 PM
Read 41339 times

Offline SickSadWorld

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor
  • Date Registered: December 03, 2010, 07:35:28 AM

• View Profile
[Game Mode] Bot Apocalypse
« on: October 12, 2011, 05:23:13 PM »

BOT APOCALYPSE

After many months of development, here is the long awaited game mode originally thought up and hosted by SaviorSword and T's Inventions. The goal is to automate what they had done manually. There's probably some issues, but here's the release of my original concept and game mode implementation. Some maps might have issues.

http://doom.dogsoft.net/download.php?f= ... oc-v2c.zip | File Size: 24.56 KB
http://www.mediafire.com/?62vbwy0jk435vz3 | Mediafire mirror

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

What is it?
Bot Apocalypse is a Tactical Team Mode where a team of human controlled players battle it out against a team of bots lead by one human leader. The last man standing's team wins!

If you want to host this yourself simply load the wad as TLMS and set a win limit. You should probably set

Code: [Select]
sv_lmscountdowntime 7
as a minimum. The default is 10.

Recommended options to enable but not required
-Chasecam
-Crouching
-Drop weapons
-Randomize maps

v2c changes
-Renumbering of scripts for compatibility with Qbox mode
-Ballade army replaces Roll army
-Adds in the random bot weapon switching AI from Qbox mode when hosted as standalone (AI is improved)

October 12, 2011, 08:30:54 PM
Reply #1

Offline Korby

• Global Moderator

• Benvenuto nella room italiana!
  • Date Registered: March 04, 2010, 03:36:02 AM

• View Profile
    • Korby Games
Re: [Game Mode] Bot Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 08:30:54 PM »
I love this mode to death. That is all.

October 12, 2011, 08:42:51 PM
Reply #2

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 08:42:51 PM »
So, there's a way to randomly force players to change teams? Awesome. *downloading*

October 12, 2011, 11:56:34 PM
Reply #3

Offline OZX

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: March 03, 2011, 11:26:26 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 11:56:34 PM »
This shouldn't be in the wip.this should be in projects.

BTW, looks kick-ass. :cool:  

*downloads*

October 13, 2011, 08:43:28 PM
Reply #4

Offline Hallan Parva

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• drifting absently across an endless sea
  • Date Registered: September 23, 2010, 10:32:40 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 08:43:28 PM »
I have a question. What's the difference between your version and Messatsu's version?

October 13, 2011, 09:47:44 PM
Reply #5

Offline SickSadWorld

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 09:47:44 PM »
Quote from: "SmashBroPlusB"
I have a question. What's the difference between your version and Messatsu's version?

My version is an attempt to automate what Saviorsword and T's Inventions do when they host this mode manually. I attempted to preserve the tactical element as closely as possible and focused on automating what I saw the mode as instead of putting my own interpretation into it.

Messatsu's version goes a step further and adds in what he believes are enhancements to the mode; things like W-Tanks, Rage runes, and so on were added in consult with Saviorsword. I respect his autonomy and provide tips, hints, code, and encouragement to help him realize his goal. His version is based on an old version of mine that he took and modified. He further used my code base from more recent versions to enhance what he had developed. As such you'll see code that is the same between the two. Any code that you see in his version that came from mine is used with permission. I respect his autonomy to maintain a separate mode with enhancements similar to Rage. I have involved him in my development chat and I'm excited that he is inspired enough to take the mode in a different direction than I intend to. Think of this version as the "classic" or "basic" version.

Even though I made it first, I hit a glass ceiling with how ACS interacts with Skulltag internally. If it wasn't for Messatsu coming along and reviving the mode with his own ideas I wouldn't have had the motivation to press forward. I wanted to make sure people realized I made this first, but I also respect the right to want to move forward because it's not right for me to make something and then just claim total ownership and never do anything with it.

My feeling is that there's no good reason that we both can't maintain a version of this mode. With most of my contributions, this stuff is mostly free to use by anyone for any reason as long as you give some credit where it is due. Messatsu does a great job at that, and you'll see I have no problem with him using any part of my code and/ or modifying it in any way.

October 24, 2011, 12:09:53 AM
Reply #6

Offline Batton

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 10, 2010, 05:09:16 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 12:09:53 AM »
For some strange reason there's 2 of these modes called the same thing?

Well I tried them both and I definitely like this one more.

I played this mode a few times on a server with CoolDude T's Inventions and Unfaded SaviorSword and I love it, but the other one doesn't seem to be the mode I remember like this one is. Good job!

November 15, 2011, 04:40:35 AM
Reply #7

Offline SickSadWorld

• MM8BDM MM8 Contributor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 04:40:35 AM »
Bumped for version 2b release.

Major improvements! Happy fragging!

November 15, 2011, 07:20:36 AM
Reply #8

Offline Tesseractal

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 26, 2011, 01:36:07 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.formspring.me/IceNinth
Thank god we have SSW to cut down the chaos.
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 07:20:36 AM »
Quote from: "SmashBroPlusB"
Here's the overarching concept I see as the difference. In SSW's mod (which he accurately describes), whether or not you win or not really comes down to your own tactics and skill at taking care of bots. There's no outside help in the form of items or HP buffs that you see in Messatsu's mode, with the exception of a single W-tank - this was mainly given to offset the ammo nerfs brought by V2C. But is that totally a bad thing? In this mode you won't get randomly killed by someone else using Exit Unit, you won't get killed because someone spawned Eddie and give Mirror Buster to a bot, and best of all - you won't get destroyed by meteorite death for trying to win. You should have *much* more freedom in this mode than you do in Savior's.

On a coding level, the scripts work in noticeably different ways. The bot leader is chosen about 4 seconds after the round starts (instead of before). However, it does not fail. (I cannot state that from my experience about Messatsu's) The condensed ACS generally will lead to less lag / packet failure during bot adding phases at the beginning of matches, as well. In fact, this can just as easily be called "Concise Bot Apoc" as well as Classic.

My main point I'd bring up for the next version is to axe Junk Shield from the rotation. If it's not replaced by another weapon by default, I think adding Tango here would be within reason - it doesn't kill allies (e.g. exit unit, eddie) and isn't luck based - you'd be able to drop it in key places to get kills.

What I can see this mode possibly doing is giving a "Fright" item to the leader, so that he can effectively move "shepherd" bots around. That's an example of something I think would benefit players who are tactical - NOT players who want to Rambo. The bot leader's HP is fixed in this version - but in the classic mode, that never stopped me from stalking the unwitting team of humans.  :p

November 15, 2011, 10:16:15 AM
Reply #9

Offline mrjnumber1

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 03, 2010, 07:37:06 AM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 10:16:15 AM »
there is a difference between a tactic and sitting in a corner and shooting the megabuster into a crowd of bots for 20 minutes...

November 15, 2011, 10:56:11 AM
Reply #10

Offline Shade Guy

• MM8BDM Extender
  • Date Registered: February 02, 2011, 10:42:15 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 10:56:11 AM »
Well, knowing Sick, he'll probably make some bot scripts to stop bots from being dumbasses and standing still while they get shot at with a Mega Buster.

Hell, he's probably made one already in secret.

November 16, 2011, 04:01:28 AM
Reply #11

Offline Tesseractal

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: January 26, 2011, 01:36:07 AM

• View Profile
    • http://www.formspring.me/IceNinth
This mode IS Bot Apocalypse. Mess's is like the movie adapta
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 04:01:28 AM »
Quote from: "mrjnumber1"
there is a difference between a tactic and sitting in a corner and shooting the megabuster into a crowd of bots for 20 minutes...
Mega buster camp is central to the game mode itself. Except that there are ways to get around that. Line up two napalm bombs on a stuck bot; guaranteed KO. The idea is that you can overcome the bots with the human team by working together. That element is lost in Messatsu's version. Who cares about teamwork when you get free weapons and you can item-1 / telefrag people on the start?

You're not going to convince me that mega buster camp doesn't happen in Messatsu's version. Maybe less, but I'd say the things added are more detrimental to a good strategist in the long run.

November 17, 2011, 11:14:06 PM
Reply #12

Offline KillerChair

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: August 24, 2010, 11:27:42 PM

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/pixellerate
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 11:14:06 PM »
Nice having a mod that does this stuff manually :D
I like to see a mod using non-classes weapons again.

November 18, 2011, 12:54:33 AM
Reply #13

Offline Messatsu

• MM8BDM Extender

• Date Registered: November 10, 2010, 04:06:39 PM

• View Profile
Re: This mode IS Bot Apocalypse. Mess's is like the movie ad
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 12:54:33 AM »
Quote from: "Ice-IX"
You're not going to convince me that mega buster camp doesn't happen in Messatsu's version. Maybe less, but I'd say the things added are more detrimental to a good strategist in the long run.
Buster camping is the name of the game.  Freaking bots are so insanely accurate.

November 18, 2011, 01:39:30 AM
Reply #14

Offline FCx

• Standard Member

• The worm arrived...
  • Date Registered: October 08, 2010, 07:42:53 PM

• View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 01:39:30 AM »
the possibility of adding a Blacklist System.

What's that?
After being selected as bot leader, that player cannot be selected again for the next 3 rounds (that number can be changed by server command).
Why blacklist might be a good idea?
Sometimes Player 1 is always selected as bot leader and the poor Player 2 hasn't been selected since he joined the server
Which mod appies this?
Who Dun It. To prevent a player is selected as murderer several times (sadly WDI is closed code).