Advanced Search

Author Topic: iYamWhatIYam's (soon to be) Open-Source Mega Man engine  (Read 3426 times)

June 07, 2016, 07:30:18 PM
Read 3426 times

Offline iYamWhatIYam

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: June 07, 2016, 02:15:44 AM

• View Profile
iYamWhatIYam's (soon to be) Open-Source Mega Man engine
« on: June 07, 2016, 07:30:18 PM »
Hello all! Some of you may know me, but that's not the point. This thread is intended to cover the development of my (soon to be) open-source Mega Man engine. Yee haw!

The engine itself is being written in Game Maker 8.1 Standard, and is being written (mostly) from scratch. (Some code may be borrowed from other open-source engines and credit will be given where it is due.) I am attempting to make this one of the easier Mega Man engines to use, and it will include a how-to-use manual when it is complete.

To prove that this is legit happening, here is a link to an .exe file. It is still in a very early stage, and you can only move and jump.

I would appreciate any and all criticism, so long as it is constructive. Thanks again!

June 07, 2016, 09:00:33 PM
Reply #1

Offline Messatsu

• MM8BDM Extender

• Date Registered: November 10, 2010, 04:06:39 PM

• View Profile
Re: iYamWhatIYam's (soon to be) Open-Source Mega Man engine
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 09:00:33 PM »
Physics seem mostly well done (one of the huge flaws of most fan games) with one small exception.  When you change directions, there's a momentary pause where Mega Man returns to his neutral state.

June 07, 2016, 09:15:56 PM
Reply #2

Offline iYamWhatIYam

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 09:15:56 PM »
Quote from: "Messatsu"
Physics seem mostly well done (one of the huge flaws of most fan games) with one small exception.  When you change directions, there's a momentary pause where Mega Man returns to his neutral state.
Thank you. I'll see to it that it's fixed ASAP. As for the physics, they're based directly off of Mega Man 5 (so much so that I copied the gravity speeds and horizontal speeds directly from it). Hopefully this isn't an issue - I think Mega Man 5 controls are the best in the Mega Man NES games.

June 07, 2016, 10:47:15 PM
Reply #3

Offline MusashiAA

• MM8BDM Contributor

• Byeah
  • Date Registered: February 16, 2010, 04:44:54 AM

• View Profile
    • My Covers on YouTube
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 10:47:15 PM »
I'd like to suggest a simple thing for testing purposes: a respawn button.

Other than that, it looks okay? The speed of the running animation (not the running speed itself) seems a little slower in comparison to the later MM games. This also brings me to a different suggestion: if you were able to take MM5's player movement info and replicate it, is it possible to allow testers and developers to actually see the differences between each NES game's physics, at least for testing and development purposes?

Also, please use a black/white tile and background combination with grid-like tiles, like that really old N64Mario MM engine, or something akin to MM8 Beta stages: it seems more appropiate for a physics test map.

June 08, 2016, 02:27:23 AM
Reply #4

Offline iYamWhatIYam

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 02:27:23 AM »
Quote from: "MusashiAA"
I'd like to suggest a simple thing for testing purposes: a respawn button.

Other than that, it looks okay? The speed of the running animation (not the running speed itself) seems a little slower in comparison to the later MM games. This also brings me to a different suggestion: if you were able to take MM5's player movement info and replicate it, is it possible to allow testers and developers to actually see the differences between each NES game's physics, at least for testing and development purposes?

Also, please use a black/white tile and background combination with grid-like tiles, like that really old N64Mario MM engine, or something akin to MM8 Beta stages: it seems more appropiate for a physics test map.
A respawn button will definitely be something I'll put in later, when the engine is in alpha. I'll definitely add one in the future, though; thank you for the suggestion.

Also, this engine is not designed to replicate Mega Man 9 or 10, so running speeds from those games are not going to be something I will deal with right now. (If I were to find those speeds, I would probably add them as comments in the code for horizontal movement if the developer would want those speeds; the same would apply for jumping.) Also, it is indeed possible to add in the other speeds of vertical and horizontal movement from the other games for testing purposes; in fact, it would only require the changing of a few speed variables.

Also, I think a grid-like test tileset is a good idea. I'll create one and use it for the development of the engine.

Thank you for your feedback. It was helpful and fun to answer and address your concerns!

June 13, 2016, 04:49:14 AM
Reply #5

Offline Heihachi_73

• Standard Member
  • Date Registered: November 03, 2014, 10:59:09 PM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 04:49:14 AM »
Quote from: "iYamWhatIYam"
Thank you. I'll see to it that it's fixed ASAP. As for the physics, they're based directly off of Mega Man 5 (so much so that I copied the gravity speeds and horizontal speeds directly from it). Hopefully this isn't an issue - I think Mega Man 5 controls are the best in the Mega Man NES games.

M tanks, Mega Buster and Beat that attacks everything from baby Mets to Dr. Wily - yeah, Megaman 5 is a good choice. Just don't put in that game's enemy invincibility. Or Wave Man's stage. :lol:

July 04, 2016, 08:10:57 PM
Reply #6

Offline iYamWhatIYam

• Standard Member

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 08:10:57 PM »
This isn't dead, just slow. Things I have added:

- Loading bar and proper icon
- Proper title (iYamWhatIYam's Mega Man Engine)
- Fixed improper vertical lining on Rock's running-and-shooting animation
- Grid tileset

Things to be implemented for the next release:

- Sliding
- Charged shot
- Ladder climbing

Click here for build 0.0.5.