Mega Man 8-bit Deathmatch > MM8BDM Discussion

So... What's next for MM8BDM? [Watch out for potential spoilers.]

<< < (2/4) > >>

Stardust:
Yes, I agree if a v7 even happens bringing on a new series, it wouldn't be before a long time. The classic series is basically finished ; MM8BDM has a lot of content now and goes through basically all of classic Megaman's story. MM11 is technically official in the classic series, but I'm somewhat not as hyped about it, probably because it's still fairly new next to MM1-8 (and even 9-10 still have that 10 years old gap with the previous episodes).

Going on to other series (MMBN, ZX, Zero) would probably better be starting off a fresh new game than appending it to MM8BDM.

I believe general gameplay modifications/improvements and QoL are more important than content as of right now. The v6 overall damage buff contributes to faster games (in LMS) and less frustration due to fragsteal (in DM), so that does contribute.
For example, Roll's Chaos generator has some nice effects which could be officially added into Vanilla to have more sandbox-style games. Terrain-related effects like jelly world, earthquake , icy terrain could be easy to add without interfering with mods like classes/weapon packs. Some other like spread/double firing could be harder to maintain, mods would have to consider that parameter when DECORATing their stuff.
These gameplay tweaks could add replay value offline (you could unlock them when finishing the campaign) and extend server customisation online.

Either way MM8BDM devteam deserves a well-rested break  :cool:

NES Boy:

--- Quote from: MusashiAA on November 24, 2020, 09:10:53 AM ---I don't mind a MM11 campaign being an epilogue-like story. V6 feels like a proper finale to the arc set up since V3-V4, so writing V7 in the spirit of, say, Adventure Time's epilogue or Dragon Ball Super's anime epilogue, makes more sense.

"The gang had more adventures later on, this was one of them".

This also feels quite close to how Classic MM games themselves were made and written: no real setup to an arc, no real feeling of a narrative sequence of events (besides MM6 to MM7).

Unless there's suddenly an ambitious attempt to write a new arc from any of you core people, an OVA approach to future core campaigns feels like the best approach: plenty of mod campaigns like Rock Force already felt going this way.
--- End quote ---
This reminds me of fortegigasgospel and Magnet Dood's The Forgotten Adventures Project, which was a an unofficial MM8BDM continuation taking place after the MMV chapter. It has its own chapters based on the Rozner DOS games, the Wonderswan game, Rockman Strategy, and it's even implied that a there's a chapter based on a certain Archie Comics storyline. This was started in 2014, back before even the idea of a giant mecha battle against an assimilated Wily Star was conceived. Not much had been done with this expansion since at least 2015, aside from some DOS game content.

Ivory:
Been a long time since I posted something, but I suppose it's a fitting time now. :cool:

To a lot of people, V6 is this super cool closure to a game that has been in development for the last 10 years. For me, it's been something else entirely. Even though the final product definitely had some great ideas from a lot of different people, it puts a smile on my face knowing that the general script I came up with for MM8BDM's Evil Energy arc years and years ago has come to a closure. The dev team has done wonders expanding on the script and bringing it to the product you experienced in V6. While my own contributions weren't nearly as major as my time with the game in V3/V4, I'm still honoured to be apart of the dev team and still be able to do the odd map or two for this game.

But as far as that script went, I didn't write anything for past MMV (since you know, MM11 wasn't even a thing back then.) MM11 and anything beyond is being written by a new generation.

There is your random trivia from a semi-retired MM8BDM developer.

fortegigasgospel:

--- Quote from: NES Boy on November 24, 2020, 08:47:55 PM ---This reminds me of fortegigasgospel and Magnet Dood's The Forgotten Adventures Project, which was a an unofficial MM8BDM continuation taking place after the MMV chapter. It has its own chapters based on the Rozner DOS games, the Wonderswan game, Rockman Strategy, and it's even implied that a there's a chapter based on a certain Archie Comics storyline. This was started in 2014, back before even the idea of a giant mecha battle against an assimilated Wily Star was conceived. Not much had been done with this expansion since at least 2015, aside from some DOS game content.

--- End quote ---
WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Man TFA has been on such hiatus for reasons of, no one to work on maps for ODOS. Plenty of ideas I had intended to do for it actually got into core, though without the people doing it even realizing (A fight on the back of Auto's truck, a falling battle to the unused song from MM7, the bonus boss).
TFA was going to be a collection of the expansions me and Dood were working on together in one spot; DOS, &B2, Strategy, and Worlds Collide. With Archie, PB/PF, and Dreamwave sprinkled in.
But now years have passed, standards have changed, and my final boss needs to be changed. As well as a few extra things to potentially sprinkle in. But of course, it needs to get off the ground for that to happen.

MusashiAA:
I personally think the only Classic chapters worth exploring are MM11 by a long shot, then distantly followed by R&F2, Strategy and a blending/retelling of both DOS games using some of the redesigns supplied. The last two sadly don't have a lot going on for them to warrant a full blown update to core in terms of content, lest we go with fanon.

I think MM11 is more than deserving an update, but in terms of storytelling, there's not much needed to do in my eyes other than properly represent the following chapter in Classic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version